Thread: a JBL with 2 12-inch woofers

a JBL with 2 12-inch woofers

A while back on another thread somebody asked why JBL had never made a speaker with 2 12" woofers. Turns out they have: Check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=14993

Actually, that's a 123A and a PR12.

Here's a pic of the system with a description... I've cropped this out of the 1970 JBL catalog, from the library here at Lansing Heritage...

So, basically, this thing is effectively like an "L100 on steroids"... bigger cabinet, PR, only with the LE20 instead of the LE25...

Regards,
    Gordon.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by GordonW; 09-18-2003 at 10:41 PM.

JBL Dog

Pro series dual 12's

JBL has a few dual 12's in its pro series. In the obsolete Cabaret series, the 4622 which featured two E120 drivers.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...pro/page08.jpg

The Cabaret series was pretty good stuff in its day. I still use 4602 (E120, 2402H) stage monitors for some of my karaoke shows. The full range models I used included 4612, 4628 and 4691. Good clean sound, but they weighed a ton!

The only other I can think of is the SR4732. It fetures two 2206H, 2445J and 2404H. I currently use a set of these. Very clean mid/high cabinet.

This message comes from JBL Dog

Almost forgot.... SR4731 (same as SR4732, less 2404H)
    Last edited by JBL Dog; 09-19-2003 at 01:12 AM.

PR12

Hey Gordon,

Thanks for that correction. The PR12 is equally surprising. Apparently it had been discontinued by the mid seventies. It is not in the list of passive radiators in my 76 Catalogue.

. . . and, Dog . . . Thanks for filling us in on the pro series. What would you say is the design goal met by two twelves that could not be done with a fifteen?

David

Re: a JBL with 2 12-inch woofers

Originally posted by speakerdave
    A while back on another thread somebody asked why JBL had never made a speaker with 2 12" woofers.
    ???

Regards

Don McRitchie

JBL Dog
    speakerdave:

The Cabaret 4622 was primarily used as a guitar monitor. I guess you could also use it in a tri-amped, full-range "all Cabaret Series" system. It may have been cool to set a 4622 on top of the single 18" 4695 (E155) and top that off with a 4612 (dual 2118J, 2404H). That little 4612 is one the smoothest JBL cabs I have ever used. The only problem I had was the idiots that worked me were constantly frying the 2404H's. The crossover point is 3khz in that system. I would have liked it a little higher for the horn.

As for as the SR4732, it is an outstanding low/mid-high cabinet. You can kick some serious butt combining it with a 4719A dual 18". I have used a 4732 full range. Not too shabby, but the horns can tend to get a harsh the way I use them (DJ/Karaoke).

dual 12" v. single 15"? It's more or less a preference/application thing. Live vocals are nice through a dual 12"/horn combo.

This message comes from JBL Dog

Thanks for this one, I finally solved my frustration about the mystery cabinet that was appearing on page 2 of the Cabaret2 brochure series
    http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/Cabaret_Series2.pdf

Now for another mind buggling question, why is there now a 4622 in the cinema series?
    http://www.jblpro.com/pub/cinema/4622.pdf

Merci pour le lien Stéphane.

It's kind of strange that JBL applied the same model number for two completely different cabinets.

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    Hey Gordon,

Thanks for that correction. The PR12 is equally surprising. Apparently it had been discontinued by the mid seventies. It is not in the list of passive radiators in my 76 Catalogue.
    Alpha 1's

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...hlight=alpha+1

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    someone had a pair of these on CL a while back and I did a little homework, they are essentially an L100 with a second 12PR that doesnt really add much ...from what I read. No FH experience.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thread Information