Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mid Life crisis or what

Mid Life crisis or what

In the 60's I loved music, all kind's of music and wasn't really concerned what I heard it on. Radio's, albums it all sounded good. I always liked music and it seemed no matter what I was doing I had to have the radio on. I remember my mother buying me a console stereo for Christmas in the 60's when they first hit the market,because she knew my love for music. I thought the 45's and the albums sounded great and they did well at least I thought they did. Then one day while laying on the couch in the living room my younger brother comes home with thes speakers JBL L100'S and proceed's to hook them up and I also remember him telling me "man you got to hear these things"That's amazing that I remember him saying that because I use to ignore everything he said in those days. Well, he put on the album "The Wost of Jefferson Airplane" and I must admit I have never heard music sound like that before. The highs were crystal clear and the bass very punchy and overall I heard stuff coming out of those speakers that I never heard coming out of my console. From that point on I was hooked. Well I just got my paycheck from work so I am now going to go buy my new JBL L100'S. Needless to say I didn't get any that day as the price was more than I made in a month. I was quite disappointed as I could not afford these baby's and was subjected to my console for another year or so. it wasn't too bad I guess, after all, my mother got me this for Christmas.I couldn't let her know that I no longer enjoyed it's sound,it would have broke her heart. Finally, at a garage sale I see no other than JBL L100'S at a price of $125.00 and bought them and they were in excellent shape with Orange Grille's. But we all know life isin't fair ,I mean I had to wait a year or so to buy these baby's because I couldn't afford them new,and then after I think that there is a God and find them at a garage sale and bring them home only to lose them 2 weeks later to a burglar.What was funny about that is, they only took my stereo and speakers and albums. I wanted to die. Life was over for me. I would never find those things again. Years went by and finally I was able to enjoy my pastime with the only speaker that changed my way of listening to music.The dreaded years approached as I was completely getting burnt out on music. I am now a father and no longer have time to listen to my pastime nor am I allowed to keep my stuff, and the baby clothes are in much demand,like every week or so I am buying new baby clothes. My new direction is ,Computers! I love computers< they can do anything,well almost. I have been in computers a long long time and I am now getting burnt out on them as well.Well there was about ten years without buying any stereo stuff, no stereo,no albums,no speakers.I don't think it really bothered me,life goes on.One day into the 90's I decided to rekindle my love for music but what a disaster the JBL'S I bought I don't remember the model number were junk,they sounded nothing like the L100'S. I don't know what happened but the JBL'S of the 90's are nothing like the JBL'S of the 70's.I was completely turned off my these new models from JBL and decided at that time to let the music die again. Here 15 or so years later I go on EBAY the other day to see if I can find a keyless entry remote for my Range Rover and the home page had an ad for a Mcintosh receiver MAC4200 BUY IT NOW OPTION. I don't know what happened but I bought it without thinking and without my wife's permission. Wow! To have this amp with my original JBL'S what a combination.Hell I couldn't afford the JBL L100's let alone the MAC as it was 3 times the money as the JBL's.Well now I bought this amp and now I have no speakers,what a dilemma, so now I am on ebay looking for some JBL L100's and they don't have any this week,so I buy the 4311's, I hope they sound as good as the L100'S, I never owned the 4311's but I keep hearing that there the same speaker. I'll know when I hook them up if they are the same.This isn't the end of it, yesterday I bought the 4425's that were on ebay for $689.00 and I have to pick them up in ST.Louis. Still not the end I just bought the Harmon Kardon AVR-520 audio/video receiver for my tv.What has gotten into me, my wife doesn't even know yet. I don't really give a shit either, I have been gone too long and now "I am back" with a little more money than before. Hat's off to JBL for they make the best vintage speakers on the planet.Kid's are all grown up now and it is time for me to enjoy what I was denied all these years. SEX and JBL'S they go together,as least I hope they do after my wife find's out how much I spent this week.But like I said it's my money I'm the one who made it,and I deserve this,and I know she is quite understanding in these matter's and will still love me no matter what.It's A JBL world get used to it.

Wow, welcome to the lunatic fringe

Think of all the money you'll save on therapy!

KingJames....

Great story....looks like you've come full circle to who you are. You're comments about the '90's vs. '70's JBL should be "must reading" for the JBL marketing geniuses.

Welcome
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Wow! Great story!

I was almost in tears when you mentioned your speakers and audio gear was stolen after waiting so long to get them.

Ron

Your friggin crazy

I love it! You meet the requirements!

Welcome to the edge!

Ken

Thanks for the welcome,I didn't know this place existed until I checked on the internet for some literature on JBL. What a forum, people who are as crazy as me. I love it! Just got my JBL 4311's and the veneer is a liitle worse than what was told to me.But no worry, I am going to remove the stain then sand and re-stain and then put a coat of clear Polyurethane over it. I'm now sure what the Polyurethane will do to the originality of the speakers as I'm not really concerned because these baby's will never be on Ebay again. I done this before on my L100's and they look beautiful when there done. I'll have to send you some pictures when I'm done. Haven't hooked them up yet as my Mcintosh arrives tomorrow.Will hook them up when I'm done refinishing them.I will never forget the sounds of the L100's and now I will put to the test these 4311's and see how they compare. Thanks!

NOTE.......By the way that story really happened.

Regis
    I think you'll like the 4311's if the 4310 is anything close. I just picked up a pair of the 4310's and I really like these speakers. They do well on a pair of stands. Great story, I really enjoyed reading it. Ti-Dome has plenty of ideas of how to hide new audio purchases. Do a search on his posts. Some of the techniques include the old "swaparoo", "dinner and a confession" and "I'll never buy audio equipment again, I'm totally finished (for now)!".

your story

Hi and welcome Kingjames,

I saw a complete reflection of MY story from the last 25 years.
    Thanks for posting this.

That was your greatly apreciated "entrance fee" to this forum

HP
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

majick47

Greetings Kingjames

Plenty of room for another JBL fanatic on the board. You won't be dissapointed with the 4311. Just a suggestion, you can do a quick search re "oiling" your cabinets to bring back the original finish with the same furmula the factory used, it will be as easy or easier than any other finish.

Welcome

to the forum. Great story. Maybe I should get my old L100 back.... Anyway, a great from Norway.

Rolf

Welcome! KJ

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf
    to the forum. Great story. Maybe I should get my old L100 back.... Anyway, a great from Norway.

Rolf

Everyone should have a pair of L100s just to keep it real.

We all started somewhere even in the murky dawn of pre-Ti times.
    Out.

I wanted a pair of studio monitors for the longest time. Could not afford them , of course, and about 15 years ago I got a pair of 128H woofers. This year I resolved to finally build a pair of 4411 monitors that I always wanted and I found this site looking for specifications and crossover info. This site has helped me gather the parts and build 4411 clones.

There is a certain amount of closure you get from this pursuit. Can't explain it to those not in the know, so I don't bother. If I had a bigger house I would have built 4350 clones. I still might build one more JBL legacy pair for the family room.

As the song goes " Just a push, and you'll be smilin'"

Alan Fletcher
    I think the JBL thing must be in my blood somehow, even though my dad got rid of his 4311's and Aquarius 4's before I was born and went to (gag) Bozaks, of all things. I still have those Bozaks-- B201's and B401's. They're atrocious for anything but background music.

Great post BTW KingJames. I enjoyed that. Welcome to the forum

-A

I know what you are talking about! Passed the same process

Quote Originally Posted by kingjames
    ..........This isn't the end of it, yesterday I bought the 4425's that were on ebay for $689.00 and I have to pick them up in ST.Louis...........
    You'll love the 4425. YEAH

Quote Originally Posted by kingjames
    ....I don't know what happened but I bought it ....without my wife's permission.
    I can relate .
    I love the way music makes me feel.

Thread Information