Thread: Poor Mans L250

Poor Mans L250

In building my surround sound system for the game room, I really wanted a classic JBL system, however being on a budget wanted to provide the best sound I could without spending a fortune. Discussing this with my wife, I was promptly told that there would none of that that "ugly walnut or old looking square boxes on stands" allowed in the game room. She wanted all the speakers to be modernistic with a black oak finish. So, what is a JBL fanatic to do when faced with a dilemma such as this? I was posed with several unique situations. I could always trade in the old wife and risk loosing half of my JBL collection in the process. (Just kidding dear!!), go out and spend a fortune on new speakers, or come up with a solution, which would provide maxim "WAF" and allow me to maintain my passion. Each week I would scan the JBL web-site archives while printing pictures of various models to present for approval. Each one was shot down because of either the "dreaded walnut finish" (which by the way I absolutely love) or was an "ugly square box" In her opinion. None of the classics would suit her not even the L212 or L250. (too much of the "dreaded walnut") I was adamant that I would not stoop to painting a classic design black, or have to hang my head in shame at the bars or local forum by purchasing any of the nasty four-letter p- or B-words, (Which by the way she liked and I had pre-approval to purchase). So I continued my pursuit and was blessed with a compromising idea. One night, after 1pm (not sure if it was the beer or lack of sleep) James B whispered in my ear "why not look at my designs for the German market". To my amazement there were a lot of the "approved black oak finishes" and some cool designs. After much searching I found the German L250. I ran down stairs and woke her up immediately to apply for approval (which BTW was approved without issue). Again it was late and there was alcohol involved.

The next weekend I headed out to my shop, closed the doors, and worked diligently (much like a mad scientist) to create what would become what I call the "poor mans L250" A cross between the classic L100 with an exterior which closely resembles the German L250. The results were unique to say the least.

The attached pictures are the result. Some benefits are the 100’s are maintained, raised off the floor to ear level, and preserved in the wife pleasing cabinet. (One pair of L100’s are my original cabinets I purchased new and have babied for years. Each has original woofers and is virtually perfect. The others are sets purchased off e-pay with damaged cabinets. All cabinets are padded and carefully installed in the mummy’s tomb until I get a dedicated audio room). The ones by the TV have provisions below for high wattage amps and space above for misc. electronics.

For now I have restored the balance in my universe, at least until Fed-ex rings the doorbell with more JBL gear.

I thought this solution to an age-old problem might be of interest to others.

Mike

Attached Images Attached Images      

More Pictures

Here is the inspiration for my madness. http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...man/page01.jpg

Mike

Regis

Thumbs up

Hey Mike, nice work! Those L-100's are really great looking! Maximum WAF too, so you can't go wrong there. I like how you stored the electronics in the bottom part of the cabs. Who would've thought that the Century can be dressed up so nice? Excellent stuff and thanks for sharing the photo's!

Maximum WAF!!

Very good

A very neat solution

Cool

A very cool look, indeed!

Thumbs up Very nice!

Sweet adaptation of a cool JBL concept.
    Out.

Very nice and modern design

I did myself a 250 diy copy ; did not cost so much and equivalent to a 6000 euro speakers I believe ...

see my avatar , i am running test by now

Gerard .

contrast in design

love looking at these 'reinvented' L100 designs....such a fine stunning contrast to my road case design.
    for a much miligned speaker--the L100 lives on for another 30 years..................
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information