Thread: Decade L-36 woofer improvements

Nightbrace

Decade L-36 woofer improvements

I have been advised that swapping the L-50 woofers with the woofers in my Decade L-36's will give more high bass information. As far as I am aware, the only difference in the woofers is the fact that the Decade 36's have concave dustcaps while the L-50's have convex dustcaps. Am I correct in assuming this?

Has anyone personally tried using L-50 drivers in the Decade L-36's and/or inverting the dustcaps on the stock Decade L-36 woofers??

I am by no means trying to belittle the original JBL design, but am wondering whether or not its a worthy pursuit to try to very simply improve the woofers on these speakers.

Design changes?

I believe that the crossovers and driver placement along with the dustcap being concave or convex would have been looked at from a designers point of view with having a differing sound output.

Not sure what the resultant sound would be if a deviation from stock change were made.

Ron

clmrt
    I believe the TS parameters are identical for both - I've also done what you are asking about - I've had 125A and 127H in both L26 and L36, and could decipher no difference.

The 127H can handle more power, though. The L50 is rated at 200w, vs the L36's 35w or 50w, but the woofer might not be the real reason for that.

Nightbrace
    So it must be that the L-50 woofers are an improved design vs. the L-36 not so much the dustcap diffderence.

My friend, who I trust, has heard the L-36 speakers with L-50 woofers and says thats its a worthy upgrade, I will look for L-50 woofers.
    Just wanted to get your guys' 2 cents.

In the meantime, does anyone have the specs for the 2 different woofers in question?

For the upteenth time - the 125A and 127A are identical except for the dustcap orientation. The inverted dome of the 125A looked great but wasn't as rigid an assembly as the "normal" dome of the 127A.

I posted a matrix showing the systems both drivers were used in in another thread.

Nightbrace
    Lancer where did you post that thread?? And if it too hard to find, what tweeters and mids came in the L-50's?

Nightbrace
    http://cgi.ebay.com/2-woofers-from-J...QQcmdZViewItem

Are these the same as the L50 woofers??

clmrt
    No, L50's had 127H, these are H-1 as found in the 4410. I believe these have SFG, and the radiating area is a bit smaller. The outside dims are critical to fit the driver into the L36 since it is slightly recessed.

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Thi...Parameters.pdf

Matter of fact, I'm listening to L26's with 127H right now.

One notable item- I've sometimes run across very slight dimensional differences in the outer basket diameter of 125A vs. 127H woofers, even though ostensibly, they're exactly the same casting. At some time, JBL seems to have changed the tolerance range of machining the outer diameter; as a result, I've had, once or twice, a situation where one or the other (can't remember which) would NOT fit into a cabinet recess. IIRC, it was a 127H trying to go into an L26 or L36, but
    I'm not absolutely sure of the exact circumstance...

Otherwise, they are functionally identical, for all practical purposes.

Regards,
    Gordon.

Thread Information