Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power cables

Power cables

Hi all.

The other day I was presented with really expencive power cords. In US$ from $200 to $800 witch should improve the sound.

Anybody have experience with this???

Rolf

It's pure unadulterated
    "Zobel is as zobel does"

I only have one, opps 2 comments

It's not in the signal path

Why should any power cord, unless it's solid siver wire under the jacket cost $800???

As you can see I am not a believer and honestly have never seriously considered or tried it.

There are many that swear by them as well. Why don't you borrow both and see for yourself if you think you hear an improvement and if it's worth the cash for it. If you try it and you like it well frankly that's all that counts.

Rob

I always wondered why anyone wants a high buck power cord. If the purchaser truly believes that it will improve the sound, why not rip all the wiring out from the fuse box to the plug in where your stereo is and start over? The wiring from my box to my setup is over 200' with all the twists and turns. I cannot see for the life of me why a $800 cord that is 6' long is going to straighten all the problems out from the previous stretch of 200'.

Hey, Rolf...

You should read the Link to Whitlock's piece, here - he covers this issue quite emphatically...

http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbull...ight=grounding
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

I agree!

[QUOTE=Audiobeer]I always wondered why anyone wants a high buck power cord. If the purchaser truly believes that it will improve the sound, why not rip all the wiring out from the fuse box to the plug in where your stereo is and start over? The wiring from my box to my setup is over 200' with all the twists and turns. I cannot see for the life of me why a $800 cord that is 6' long is going to straighten all the problems out from the previous stretch of 200'. [/QUOTE

This would be my problem with them as well. Just as long as you size your cord for your application and you do not over-load your circuit then all is good.

But if you are so inclined to go that route then you better add this at well over a $100 per piece

http://www.wattgate.com/

All I can say is

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606
    I only have one, opps 2 comments
    It's not in the signal path
    I know.
    Why should any power cord, unless it's solid siver wire under the jacket cost $800???
    I asked myself the same question. No Answer.
    As you can see I am not a believer and honestly have never seriously considered or tried it.
    Same as me, never thought this is really something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob3606
    There are many that swear by them as well. Why don't you borrow both and see for yourself if you think you hear an improvement and if it's worth the cash for it. If you try it and you like it well frankly that's all that counts.
    Rob
    I will, as soon as I have new cross-overs, and 2 new pairs of speaker cables. I want to do that first, as this is something I know will improve the sound.

Rolf

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    Hey, Rolf...

You should read the Link to Whitlock's piece, here - he covers this issue quite emphatically...

http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbull...ight=grounding
    Hi. I understand what you mean. Unfortunatly we do not have this kind of electrical system in Norway. We have no "live" or "earth". What we have is + and - and ground. It does not matter what lead you connect to + or -, and you can drop ground if you don't want to use it. If you turn the plug on a amp or another product can hear the sound from the speakers getting better of not. Then you know witch way to plug them. Strange, but true. Maybe a special cord fix this, but I do not know. I will try later.

Thanks fro the advice.

Rolf

jtgyn

Another theory...

G'Day Rolf,
    May I suggest that you try listening to your system with US$200-800 in your pocket!

I personally think the system will sound much better than spending the money on the power cord.

Regards Scott

pelly3s
    my whole deal on the power cord issue is you dont see studios going out and spending $200 on a power cord. They use what came with the gear

Quote Originally Posted by pelly3s
    my whole deal on the power cord issue is you dont see studios going out and spending $200 on a power cord. They use what came with the gear
    Yes, I know....but that does not mean improvment can't be done, but when everything else is in place I will try them an post a reply.

Thanks all for advice, and if anybody has other experiance let us know.

Rolf

go to your local electronics shop and buy some decent shielded power cable and requied terminals

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/merlino.html
    thats the easiest to make but their are better ones on the site

my fav audio site before i found this place
    http://www.medpot.net/forums/

daily volcano demo`s
    find out the truth
    tell`em morbo sent you

mention lansing heritage for 10% off

what can i/you hear

I have done some "research" - A/B-listening on this area that i would like to share. 45 Persons join the test and it was done in a way that can be considered at "correct" A/B- B/A for documentation. High, low, rich, poor, man woman, technical skilled or not. Not told what was A or B, cheated A-A, B-B ect.

Well we can start to exclude those who know for sure that there are nothing to hear/feel outside the freq-area 20hz-20.000 hz. For those who belong to that group of "test-persons" or listeners its all waiste of money for sure.

With the knolge i have today there are no way in the world i would pay $800 for a power-cable because my brain is blocked on that amount of money. On the other hand ignoring the cables whatever there are carefully selected by the manufactor, delivered with the equipement or not is plain stupidity (my oppinion, and the test-persons based on listhning-resoults)

What we did :
    We tried out diffrent power-cords, and there are big diffrences to hear.
    All were what can be considered as "standard" power-cords. Cables with less but thick cores seems to sound better. There were also a clear tendency (testpersons did not know about this) that cables with high-voltage insulation seems to "sound better"

BUT what was interesting to se/hear was that standard solid-core 2,5mm (we use 230-250 volt A/C 50hz here) sound best of all when the 3 cord's are braided not "twist". Phase, ground and Zero..

To take it one step further, we made 3 pcs of "home-made super cable" of 20 meters each, connected one end of them in the fuse-box and connected the other end to the equipement (one to the CD-player, one to the Pre-amp, and one to the power amp).. Dedicated circuits And here the fun begins !!
    If You can't hear that, you better sell all your audio-equipement asap, it would be waiste of money... But havent we heard that before the last10-20 years ? -capasitors.. ect

A electronic-ingeneer will just smile here and say "Re" and "75ohm"..

The only really forbidden thing (among others) that we did, was to connect the ground of the 3 units in the garden to have as big distance to the noise layer as possible.. Noise and spikes from other equipement in the installation transmitted on the ground-cable. The "other" end of the ground-core was not connected in the fuse-box. The measured resistance from the grounding in the fuse-box, and the test-ground in the garden was 45ohm (Wheatstone bridge test)

We have not done any laboratory-test of whats going on as it was sufficiant to hear the diffrence. It was clear as changing cap's in a X-over.

Ferrit-rings did also have a positive effect.

Give it a try before anyone spend a lot of money on power-cables. I very much like to hear if someone try to do the home-made-singlecore and maby comparred to commercial "correct" super power-cables.
    Have fun
    Jens

(im not sure "plait/weave" is the correct word, but as teenage girls do to their hair when they do that 3-thing)..
    I think you are looking for "braided." A lot of people prefer braided cords and cables, and I am one. Many of my reasons have nothing to do with sound; some braided cables have other advantages, such as suppleness, flexibility, shape-holding in place, etc.
    Out.

Titanium, yep it was. Thanks

Thread Information