Thread: A Favour To Ask of Anyone Around St. Louis

A Favour To Ask of Anyone Around St. Louis

Steve Schell and I have been commissioned to write an in depth article on Jim Lansing and JBL. I can't provide more details about the commission until the article is published sometime next year. For now, I could use the help of someone around St. Louis in getting a key photograph for that article. The photograph would be of the birthplace of Jim Lansing. This is the former town of Greenridge Illinois, around a one hour drive outside of St. Louis. I say former, because it doesn't exist as a town anymore. It is currently just a cornfield in the middle of farm country. I actually just want a picture (or more accurately, pictures) of the barren cornfield to contrast it with a historical picture of the town. If there is anyone that would be willing to make the one hour trip out to Greenridge, just respond to this thread or send me a PM and I can give detailed directions to the location. Just for information, below is a relatively recent aerial photograph over which I have superimposed the layout of the former town based on information given to me by a local historian. I have also linked to the historical photo I mentioned above.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Regards

Don McRitchie

I believe these are more current maps of the same local. Between Girard and Nilwood, IL.

First, close-in, second a bit less zoomed for reference:
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Red marks the spot...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

This is fun

Yup, the above maps above are correct. As can be seen, the old townsite is also close to Springfield, IL, so if we have any members in that city, they may be able to help as well. Anyone interested in the history of the Greenridge should check out this link.

RIP 2009
    My mother grew up just a little east of there, (Pana, Illinois) - I'll run the name by her when I get the chance...

John

What's she wearing...?

Oh, sorry - wrong thread...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

JBL Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McRitchie
    Steve Schell and I have been commissioned to write an in depth article on Jim Lansing and JBL. I can't provide more details about the commission until the article is published sometime next year. For now, I could use the help of someone around St. Louis in getting a key photograph for that article. The photograph would be of the birthplace of Jim Lansing. This is the former town of Greenridge Illinois, around a one hour drive outside of St. Louis. I say former, because it doesn't exist as a town anymore. It is currently just a cornfield in the middle of farm country. I actually just want a picture (or more accurately, pictures) of the barren cornfield to contrast it with a historical picture of the town. If there is anyone that would be willing to make the one hour trip out to Greenridge, just respond to this thread or send me a PM and I can give detailed directions to the location. Just for information, below is a relatively recent aerial photograph over which I have superimposed the layout of the former town based on information given to me by a local historian. I have also linked to the historical photo I mentioned above.

Don:

I would probably be the closest of any forum member. If you look at Bo's second map of the area, I live just south of Chesterfield, MO (lower left corner of the map). The wifey has mentioned wanting to take a day-trip to Springfield, IL, so, that gives me an opportunity to be "hero-for-the-day" times two. Lemme run this by her and see what our schedules look like.

Hey Dog Be Carefull I might be rolling around there as well!!!

I paid a visit to that location today, it is very bare. The tracks have been removed as well.

If nobody comes through for you and it gets to crunch time let me know. I'll run up there with JBLdogs wife and be a hero X 3!

JBL Crossroads

Man them satelite photo's really zoom in. What the heck you doing around there John.

Our Fearless leader asked and I complied, but really it was part business and part pleasure? The pleasure part was hauling my 3131A,s and most of that route 4 is part of the old Route 66. Over the years I think I might of been on about 1/2 of it? between Chi+LA. A lot of it is now service roads for the interstates that replaced it.

Nice!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thread Information