Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Studio L-820

JBL Studio L-820

is this? Looks like one of these 70s japanese 6 way speakers.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Guido
    The top tweeter is a mylar dome unit that operates *above* 20khz ?!?!

Are we making sure the rodents in the house can hear the proper overtones in a cymbal ?

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by Guido
    Sorry, those don't look bad to me and I'd guess that series would make a decent sounding mid-level HT system.

For me they are just ugly

clmrt
    Fugly.

Red face Looks aren't everything...look at me.

Quote Originally Posted by clmrt
    Fugly.
    Fugly they may be, but given a chance I'd still listen to them to see what discernible effect that extra driver might have.

I know there's a sense among some members that current JBL stuff is crap or mostly crap, especially compared to the classic designs of the past. I'm not one of those members, though I love the old stuff, too.

JBL/Harman has some of the brightest engineers and designers anywhere working on speaker design and development. They work in a world-class facility. Some of them have a legacy track record that exceeds anything that virtually any other speaker designer has done.

So while I'll concede that any product, JBL included, could be crap, more focused on marketing pressures than audio necessity, I can't verify that until I hear it. I just might learn something I didn't anticipate.

AND...

People who take the time to get to know me usually find I'm not the piece of crap they thought I was.
    Out.

Angry

So are you guys saying that my JBL S26 speakers suck compaired the old JBL speakers? Since my speakers weren't cheap you know.

Technicaly the Studio L Series is a set up on the orginal Studio Series so if you guys say that the current speaker line is bad then you guys are saying that my JBL S26 sucks too since it's not old as the L100 or so.

RIP 2009
    Velociraptor - I believe the only way you can come to any valid conclusions is if you find someone with some of these different "older" speakers and judge for yourself. While I have no doubt the S26 probably sounds substantially better than many other speakers in the same price range, most people here are happy enough with their current speakers that they haven't felt the need to compare them with something like the S26.

I don't know who on the forum might be in your area, but you really need to get out and hear some other JBL's. Anyone's speakers are going to sound "best" to them if they haven't heard anything else...

John

Quote Originally Posted by Velociraptor84
    Technicaly the Studio L Series is a set up on the orginal Studio Series so if you guys say that the current speaker line is bad then you guys are saying that my JBL S26 sucks too since it's not old as the L100 or so.
    No, it's L100's that suck, actually....

[I recall it was YOU who said your S26's suck....]

Originally written by Titanium Dome

I know there's a sense among some members that current JBL stuff is crap or mostly crap, especially compared to the classic designs of the past. I'm not one of those members, though I love the old stuff, too.

Originally written by Velociraptor

So are you guys saying that my JBL S26 speakers suck compaired the old JBL speakers? Since my speakers weren't cheap you know.

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one and it stinks. Velociraptor, you have a marvelous gift for interpretation!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Rusnzha

Originally written by Velociraptor

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one and it stinks. Velociraptor, you have a marvelous gift for interpretation!

I wipe mine. How about you?
    Out.

Wink

I talked to JBL tech support alot and they do say that the Studio L Series are really alike to the orginal Studio Series since the components are really alike like example the Polyplas woofers and pure titanium dome tweeters with EOS waveguide so forth. Just the biggest difference is that the Studio L Series have that horn on the top that makes the highs go higher then 20kHz. But they did say that both series sound very alike so that's good. I sure glad that I got the S26 instead of the N26 or N38 or something like that LOL. Since my S26 are very close to the JBL L830 only difference as I said before was that the L830 has that horn that makes the speakers go higher than 20kHz.

Learn to write.

This is NOT aimed at the forumites outside the US or non-native english langauge members. I think there should be an english and grammer/punctuation test before being allowed to post. I'm soooo tired of wasting my time trying to decipher alot of these writings. I'm sure I'm not alone in my opinion. ALL forums are written communications....please take the time to learn how to write. Unfortunately....this is a byproduct of the computer age.

Thanks for reading my vent.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

I wipe mine. How about you?
    Yes, sometimes the paperwork is a killer!

The opinion I'm refering to is the
    sense among some members that current JBL stuff is crap or mostly crap.
    I love my Studio Series 6.1 setup and the old stuff.

Thread Information