Thread: Altec 886a

Altec 886a

I remember someone asking about these systems a couple of years ago; it
    seems that some erroneous information about them was tossed about, but, although I don't have technical data, I do have some first hand experience with them. I ordered a pair "drop-shipped" while in the Army in Germany in 1971, and they were delivered to my apartment in Morgantown when I returned to school in early 1972. The Altec Lansing factory representative who had demonstrated them in Frankfurt said they were designed for monitoring in small studios and that they were the first commercially available systems to be based on the Theile Small parameters. They were a shade over twelve inches wide and almost exactly two feet high, but less than a foot deep. They featured a ten-inch woofer and a ten-inch passive radiator, the first systems I ever saw with such a device, and a two-inch tweeter located midway up the baffle, nestled as close as possible between the two large speakers near the outer edge. Everyone who ever heard them was impressed with their high efficiency, articulated sound, and general "tight" imaging. The bottom end was not so extended as that of the Larger Advents, but the rest of the spectrum was more clear--bright, but not harsh. I was an idiot for ever selling them. I have searched in vain for any technical information concerning them, but have, very occasionally, seen a pair for sale.

re: long lost 886a's....

hi, whizzer!! I figure that any SENIOR member would truly be worthy of having his "day/week/month MADE!!!" It just so happens that when researching some vintage cabinet style speakers, I stumbled upon the woeful words of a tuned ear,...w/out the love once posessed...... . If you are interested, & oh, how I KNOW the extent of the love you may still hold for two, sequential numbered beauties in absolute PRISTINE condition....please feel free to drop me an e-mail! sincerely,.... & w/out alterior motives, nor greed,....eric

Without confirming the archives - Sounds like Altec Bolero's

They sounded much better off the ground with the tweeter at ear level.

Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

The more I listen to the 886a the more I feel they are under appreciated.

Very efficient, no maintenance required (cloth surrounds), good mid-bass, no piercing HF nor low booms…but its own classic sort of sound that grows on you. Perfect way to wind down after a long day.

Quote Originally Posted by whizzer View Post
    I remember someone asking about these systems a couple of years ago; it
    seems that some erroneous information about them was tossed about, but, although I don't have technical data, I do have some first hand experience with them. I ordered a pair "drop-shipped" while in the Army in Germany in 1971, and they were delivered to my apartment in Morgantown when I returned to school in early 1972. The Altec Lansing factory representative who had demonstrated them in Frankfurt said they were designed for monitoring in small studios and that they were the first commercially available systems to be based on the Theile Small parameters. They were a shade over twelve inches wide and almost exactly two feet high, but less than a foot deep. They featured a ten-inch woofer and a ten-inch passive radiator, the first systems I ever saw with such a device, and a two-inch tweeter located midway up the baffle, nestled as close as possible between the two large speakers near the outer edge. Everyone who ever heard them was impressed with their high efficiency, articulated sound, and general "tight" imaging. The bottom end was not so extended as that of the Larger Advents, but the rest of the spectrum was more clear--bright, but not harsh. I was an idiot for ever selling them. I have searched in vain for any technical information concerning them, but have, very occasionally, seen a pair for sale.
    Hey Whizzer,

Well I have a set of these 886a's and I love them. I refinished the cabinets and they really came out nice....the drivers are perfect and the sound is very nice....I am a bit partial to the gentle tone of Altecs(like Vintage Spk said...it really grows on ya)....I am putting together a vintage system for my daughters living room and these will be her rears..... I have a real clean set of Altec Santanas with 420 Biflex for the fronts......I bought both sets of these 886's and Santanas for $100.....well worth it....and we have preserved a super snapshot of a day gone by for next to nothin....My daughter listens to alot of Folk and acoustic Gospel music (like the Red Mountain Church.... http://www.redmountainchurch.org/rmm/alb/lyrics.html) and this will be a great little system for her....

Shaan
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Thread Information