Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st POST, A few ?'s to ask.

Nightbrace

1st POST, A few ?'s to ask.

Let me first start off by saying how great it is for there finally to be a site dedicated exclusively to vintage JBL products.

First off, I have a set of MINT JBL LN3 cabinets that I can get, I have been unable to find anything about them. Currently the cabinets do not have any drivers, and I would ideally like to put the correct original drivers in these cabinets. An alternative would be to use the drivers from the L100's which would work perfectly. These LN3's are TRUE floorstanding speakers and are 2.0 CU. FT.

That being said I am considering getting the 12" 2202 H Professional Series woofers. The magnet size is enormous on these woofers, and I have been told by many that they are the best 12" woofers ever made by JBL/. But given the size of the magnet I must conclude that they are not AlNiCo, am I correct in this assumption?? Also, instead of using either of these woofers, would a 12" Altec woofer work even better?? If so which model number should I seek??

I also had a question about my Decade 36's in regards to the woofers having concave dustcaps. Is there a particular reson why the dustcaps were designed this way? Wouldn't convex dustcaps like the ones on the L-50 give more High-bass and Low-mid information?>? If so, would it be useful to swap out these woofers for the L-50's or to just invert the dustcaps??

Finally, my last question is about the LE5 midranges. I have heard 6 different variations of these and they all sound identical to me. Most notably the
    LE5-2, and LE5-6, besides being visually different, what benefits or differences, if any, would these drivers have comparatively??

Thanks, Scott.

Please click "User CP," above and enable location display in your profile so we know where you are.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=5706

some fact`s about alnico from our illustrious leader

http://www.medpot.net/forums/

daily volcano demo`s
    find out the truth
    tell`em morbo sent you

mention lansing heritage for 10% off

Alex Lancaster
    Scott: AFAIK, All "H" series are Ferrite; The 2202 was not designed as a Low Frequency speaker, more like a low-mid for which they are great, for lows, from the same family, a 2203H is "it", if the rest of the system is balanced for it.

Nightbrace
    Zilch I apologize for not filling in all the fields, I really want to be a major contributor to this site, and if there is anything I can do to help in anyway, please feel free to ask.

Thanks for the Advice, ok it is the 2203H that I should be looking for then.

Are there any other woofers besides the 12" from the L100 that I should look for?? I would really like AlNiCo magnets.

Alex Lancaster
    It depends a lot on what You will be using for mids and tweets.

Nightbrace
    Is it also a MYTH, that AlNiCo sounds better with tube amps?? That is what I have been told.

Also, how do the Decade 36's compare to the L100's??

The MAJOR difference between the LE5-6 and LE5-2 is the magnet material, but what audible difference will there be, if any?

Nightbrace
    I will be using either the LE25 tweeteers from the L100's and the LE5-2 mids, or the LE25 tweeters from the L36's along with the LE5-6 mids.

I am not familiar with LN3. May we see some pics, please?

Maybe somebody else knows what they are....

Nightbrace
    http://www.oldhifi.com/jblln3.jpg

Here's the only pic I can get right now, David Dicks, the maker of this website, is on vacation.

There are Allied drivers in them now. I have seen these personally and they are JBL LN3's and are spectacular. The only one I have ever seen.

Nightbrace
    which Tweeter, midrange, and woofer would be BEST for these speakers??

And whats the difference between copper voice coils and edgewound copper ribbon?

clmrt
    The cabinets in that old hifi link - those are the cabinets you wish to load?

What makes them spectacular, exactly?

I like 2-ways, and if I could DIY an L200, I would.

Quote Originally Posted by clmrt
    I like 2-ways, and if I could DIY an L200, I would.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-L200-StudioM...QQcmdZViewItem

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbrace
    Let me first start off by saying how great it is for there finally to be a site dedicated exclusively to vintage JBL products.

, Scott.
    It's not, really. We actually like some of the new stuff too.

Nightbrace
    The condition, and the fact that they are true floor standing speakers, not to mention the rarity of them.

Thread Information