Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you a good Forum poster?

Are you a good Forum poster?

I have previewed some posts recently and compared them to previous posts on this and other forums.

We appear at times to have a lot of noise on our forums, particularly the technical help forums.

That said we are all here to have fun and enjoy our interest/ hobby.

As a spectator you may wish to weigh in with an opinion or a fact.

A contributor may want to express or clarify technical information.

But is it a fact or an opinion that you are posting and is it relavent and industrious to the original purpose of the thread?

How often do you think about where your feedback or comments or venting should be posted?

You are over-analyzing this concept.

Stop being like me, dammit.

Not really,

Just remember someone else might be trying to read a thread.

No I'm just kidding!

clmrt
    I'm a "helper" - I don't sit and listen to people, I try to find the problem and fix it for them, wether they want me to or not.

That said, I look for posts with zero replies, and if i have anything that might help, I offer it. Often in layman terms, since I myself am a layman with no technical education, only experience. If that experience is relevant, I offer it.

It will not always be correct, but it will apply, theoretically.

Quote Originally Posted by clmrt

I myself am a layman with no technical education, only experience. If that experience is relevant, I offer it.

Me to.

Rolf

paragon

Good forum poster

A good poster ??, No !! To young to know much about good old JBL drivers.

Eckhard

Quote Originally Posted by clmrt
    I'm a "helper" - I don't sit and listen to people, I try to find the problem and fix it for them, wether they want me to or not.

That said, I look for posts with zero replies, and if i have anything that might help, I offer it. Often in layman terms, since I myself am a layman with no technical education, only experience. If that experience is relevant, I offer it.

I know what you mean.

Sometimes a zero reply can imply the same question has been asked very frequently. In that case a simple post directing to an appropriate thread is all that is required.

Relevance is an interesting issue.

Proliferation or Thread Jacking of the original posters request or aim needs to be stamped out. (Crash is a dedicated stamper much like some of the fixer programs in The Matrix.)

This quickly leads to off topic meandering, opinion wars and the original poster becomes insulted by the ego infantile self infatuated trumpeting that sends a message of being an jack of all trades but a master if none.

As a rule this kind of poster's information should be treated with a grain of salt.

I do think however if the direction is taken as discussed in the DIY post poll it will certainly assist in cleaning up the confusion over where and when to post.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    Proliferation or Thread Jacking of the original posters request or aim needs to be stamped out.
    I'm glad you brought this up... I've wanted to talk about those little red JBL stamps for sometime now...

Sorry... I just couldn't help myself... I've been hanging out with the likes of Giskard and Lancer for far too long.

Widget

i might be the worst poster here

but i know comedy when i see it!

morbo!
    http://www.medpot.net/forums/

daily volcano demo`s
    find out the truth
    tell`em morbo sent you

mention lansing heritage for 10% off

You guys quit changing the subject. We were talking about good posters. I like black light posters myself.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I only wish we saw the JBL stamp of approval more often on these forums.

The first and probably last one was only recently and even then it was proceeded and followed by proliferation. Some people just can't wait for or accept the facts. If meandering was heaven they'd be Saints!

Taken that the afformentioned proposal legitimises diy pseudoism then those that want to free fall in their own incarnations can do so while the those looking for the facts can read with assurance in vintage JBL restorations

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    I'm glad you brought this up... I've wanted to talk about those little red JBL stamps for sometime now...

Sorry... I just couldn't help myself... I've been hanging out with the likes of Giskard and Lancer for far too long.

Widget

Perhaps a JBL sticker on a post or a thread header will become the stamp of approval that it is correct and accurate while those vetted to be less so will get the stamp.

I often give certain threads or members a personal BS stamp. But it is obviously better to keep those opinions to myself. Do we really want to want to discourage people from posting? On most days, I would like to see more posting, not less.

Quote Originally Posted by Don C
    I often give certain threads or members a personal BS stamp. But it is obviously better to keep those opinions to myself. Do we really want to want to discourage people from posting? On most days, I would like to see more posting, not less.
    Not at all, use the ignore function if you are growing tired of a member.

We are all entitled to an opinion. But its a case of stating if you are offering an opinion, a fact or shooting the breeze and where and how you do this.

Unfortunately some are (becoming) so enambered with their own opinions and wisdom that they post in a fashion that would lead one to think they know their facts when in fact they dont.

This leads to a certain private Venting and tends to make the job of cleaning up of "opinions" frustrating for our better contributors.

Those in possession of the true facts tend to be more reserved but at times are short tempered when they see the facts continually distorted by the same opinionated members.

And so life goes on................

"Those in possession of the true facts tend to be more reserved but at times are short tempered when they see the facts continually distorted by the same opinionated members" The "Facts" WILL still exist. Unmet expectations lead to rough sailing. Balancing expectations to maintain positive energy flow is a choice. Carry too BIG of a cup and it will always be "Half Full". We're only people

Thread Information