Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanting more - SPL

Wanting more

I've already mentioned here that I want some JBL's or Altec's with horns. Let me elaborate by saying that I like my music loud as well as all of the other goodies at moderate levels (can't crank it all the time ) I like the bass and volume that I can achieve with my JBL CF 120's and they do OK with moderate volume information as well. I'm looking for more, what can you guys recommend for say $600 or less? Horns or not. Tired of collecting disappointments. Always come back to the CF 120's but I'm sure it gets better than that. The Altecs I have sound good but I can't put that much power to them to get the volume I want. I like my Klipsch too but they serve mainly in my HT setup and with my tubes when the mood strikes. Thanks to all for your time.

Jason
    Altec A7, JBL Decade L-26, JBL CF 120, Altec Model Seven Series II, Altec Stonehenge II

Quote Originally Posted by JBLTEC
    I've already mentioned here that I want some JBL's or Altec's with horns. Let me elaborate by saying that I like my music loud as well as all of the other goodies at moderate levels (can't crank it all the time ) I like the bass and volume that I can achieve with my JBL CF 120's and they do OK with moderate volume information as well. I'm looking for more, what can you guys recommend for say $600 or less? Horns or not. Tired of collecting disappointments. Always come back to the CF 120's but I'm sure it gets better than that. The Altecs I have sound good but I can't put that much power to them to get the volume I want. I like my Klipsch too but they serve mainly in my HT setup and with my tubes when the mood strikes. Thanks to all for your time.

Jason
    Maybe the most bang for the buck would be a pair of good 4311's, L100's, L100t3, or 4425's in need of some TLC...anyone else?
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

First, spend $50 at Radio Shack for an SPL meter.

Keep it under 85 dBA....

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch

Keep it under 85 dBA....
    Help me out here. I think the "A" in dbA means A weighted but I'm not sure how that rates compared to the regular SPL ratings we all seem to be acustomed to. I hope that 85 dbA is loud cause it sure don't look that way on my screen. I want to be able to hit sustained SPL's of 115db to 120db peaks and still have the complexities of my various types of music to remain clear and yes I want the whole house along with myself to shake. Is this unrealistic?

Jason
    Altec A7, JBL Decade L-26, JBL CF 120, Altec Model Seven Series II, Altec Stonehenge II

It's highly unrealistic.

You'll ruin your hearing. 90 dBA is the OSHA maximum level for 8-hour occupational exposure.

115 dB will finish off your hearing in a matter of minutes.

Google SPL. Read up....

Here, for example:

http://www.myhometheater.homestead.c...alculator.html

http://consensus.nih.gov/1990/1990No...oss076html.htm

Above 85 dBA, your hearing threshold progressively shifts, and you have to keep increasing the volume to achieve the same perceived loudness. That's why the band keeps cranking it up as the evening wears on.

It's ALSO why THEY'RE using earplugs, of course....

A-weighting: A measurement scale that approximates the "loudness" of tones relative to a 40 dB SPL 1000 Hz reference tone. A-weighting has the added advantage of being correlated with annoyance measures and is most responsive to the mid frequencies, 500 to 4000 Hz..

C-weighting: A measurement scale that approximates the "loudness" of tones relative to a 90 dB SPL 1000 Hz reference tone. C-weighting has the added advantage of providing a relatively "flat" measurement scale which includes very low frequencies.

I'm familiar with the OSHA ratings as I have spent the last 15 years in a fabrication/machine shop environment for 8 to 10 hrs a day. I don't want to sit in front of these speakers that long I just want them to be capable of it if I so desire. My CF 120's are rated at 96db 1w/m on paper I should be able to get 117db w/ 128 watts. My H/K amps are good for 200 watts/ea. when bridged. I see that what I want is possible with my current setup. What I am looking for is a better quality sound at similar levels. Please correct me if I am misguided in my thinking. Hearing damage aside can I expect to achieve this?

Jason

Hearing damage aside can I expect to achieve this?
    With JBL? SURE, but not on MY advice, alas....

Deadwood
    Try the Studio Series S-312 or S-412, they are not vintage JBL, but they sound good.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch

Keep it under 85 dBA....
    Good one, Zilch!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Let me put this a bit differently. I want it loud without having to crank the Chit out of my amp. I just want good sound with the ability to play loud in the event a party should break out.

Jason

Let me put this a bit differently. I want it loud without having to crank the Chit out of my amp. I just want good sound with the ability to play loud in the event a party should break out.

Jason
    Ok... You need a pair of the old S23 system. They will get you into the 124 dB range with a single Citation 19.

130H/2220H in 6 cu ft vented box tuned to 48 Hz.
    375/2440 compression driver with HL89/2390 horn/lens.
    075/2402 ring radiator
    LX50A network
    N7000 network

Guaranteed to punish everyone in the room real bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancer
    Ok... You need a pair of the old S23 system. They will get you into the 124 dB range with a single Citation 19.

130H/2220H in 6 cu ft vented box tuned to 48 Hz.
    375/2440 compression driver with HL89/2390 horn/lens.
    075/2402 ring radiator
    LX50A network
    N7000 network

Guaranteed to punish everyone in the room real bad.
    Now we're talking. I don't want to lust after any other speakers. I want to purchase my last pair. Well, for a bit anyway. I'm gonna guess that this will be more than $600.00? It does give me an idea of what I am looking for though.Thanks.

Jason

S23 system sounds interesting.

Nice old vintage sound that won't hold up against todays best, but nice with a old tube amp maybe!

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by spkrman57
    Nice old vintage sound that won't hold up against todays best, but nice with a old tube amp maybe!

Ron
    None of these obsolete JBL systems hold up against today's best.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancer
    None of these obsolete JBL systems hold up against today's best.
    So what would you recommend?

Jason

Thread Information