Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blown L100 ! Why me ?

Well, OK. Applying an appropriate standard to the circumstances and situation as described just about anything might work. Drop 'em in and crank 'er up!

where abouts are you bonanza perhapps
    someone here can look ay them for you
    and probally anywhere in the world
    http://www.medpot.net/forums/

daily volcano demo`s
    find out the truth
    tell`em morbo sent you

mention lansing heritage for 10% off

Morbo, Im in MN. I found a local shop with a LE26 so I might skip work and visit the "Speaker Clinic" in Minneapolis. This all started with Aussie Floyd. These guys rock !! Have you herd them ?

bonanzadave sent me this in a PM, but said it was OK if I brought it back to the thread:

"The LE25-4s on ebay call out 4.2 ohms each. Think these will be ok in the L100s ? Thanks, Dave"

Pesonally, I don't know, but you may be able to get information about the LE25 series by using the search function on this website.

My response to your earlier question about 104's and LE26 really means that you didn't seem to be really focused in on the subtlety of the sound, and so more or less haphazardly chosen components may suit you. Now you seem to be going in the other direction. Best idea is to search out exact acoustical/electrical replacements. There are A FEW differences in model number suffixes that mean only different color, black or chrome, on the frame face, but I am not knowledgable about the tweeter series in question. If you keep looking on the site you may find it. Don't be surprised if no one comes along to save you the work. The people who know some of this stuff feel like they have already repeated it many times and would like seekers of information to use the tools that are available for finding it.

It would be nice if there could be a process of systematically organizing all of the information that is in these thousands of threads, but that does not seem to be possible right now. If I win the lottery I may take out a few weeks and do it myself, but not before.

David

The 104H-2 is more damped than the LE 5-2 but in the L100 it should work fine. That is because the L100 had a simple crossover network compared to later models with elaborate compensation . Since the midrange only has an 8 uf capacitor for a crossover network substituting a different midrange will not cause major problems. if it had a 3rd order network with Zoebels and L-pad networks it would matter much more.
    The L pad control allows the midrange to be adjusted to match the tweeter, at most you might want it slightly higher or lower.

Once again, Thanks for the input. Sorry for the newbee drivel. Im exploring the search function with real fascination. Wow ! Im blown away by the expertise and the willingness (by most) to share this vast knowledge. Sorry again for whipping a dead horse but this being the first time Ive explored the guts of these speakers I dont want to do anything wrong. I understand Im kind of a bottom feeder with this system but after about a full days research on this site Ive concluded two things...

1. Go factory equipment when replacing parts. It sounded good then and It keeps the origianlity (value).
    2. You get what you pay for. Duh !! (Im cheep)

Thanks again, Ill update when I get them going.

Quote Originally Posted by bonanzadave
    ...after about a full days research on this site Ive concluded two things...

1. Go factory equipment when replacing parts. It sounded good then and It keeps the origianlity (value).
    2. You get what you pay for. Duh !! (Im cheep).
    I'd suggest you track down exact replacement parts. They are readily available on eBay and typically reasonably inexpensive. There is room for improvement with the L100 as with any speaker, but unless you know what you are doing, you are more likely to go backwards.

Good luck... keep us posted and when you do get them both running again, use a bit of moderation on the old volume knob. Or, get a bigger amp and possibly bigger speakers too...

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by bonanzadave
    How about a pair of LE26s and 104-Hs. Will this work. Dont want to mod the cabs or work the crossovers.
    LE26 yes, 104H, no.

LE26 is pretty much (to a degree that it's pretty much impossible to hear a difference) identical to the LE25. In fact, the LE25-2 (which has also been used in some L100As, from what I'vs seen) uses the same exact recone kit as the LE26. If you put the pair of LE26s in, you should be just fine.

OTOH, the 104H is different, completely... different cone material, different diameter voice coil, different type dustcap, totally different. Won't work properly with the stock crossover...

Things you should be looking for, that will work, with quite close similarity to your originals: LE5-2, LE5-5, LE5-9, 2105H. Any of those should work satisfactorily as a midrange in a stock L100...

Regards,
    Gordon.

Thanks GordonW. Once I get these L100s going I'd like to get your input on Amps.

Thread Information