Thread: new member

Although a new member, my reading the extensive posting by audiophile members has impressed me about the quality of jbl products. I would like to add to my existing speakers( l100, l112) some of the best jbl speakers. Please feel free to make all suggestions , and also why you would choose them. I realize you could spend thousands and reasonable cost is an issue. I would already like to thank the audiophiles for the vast info provided for all to read.

If you going to add to the existing speakers this brings up a question of what do you want to do. Are you going to stack them side by side for a wall of sound or will you use them in different rooms of the house. Home theater setup or disco?
    Some members have literally a HiFi store setup in a large room where they can select different models or combinations.

I have 4411 clones I made and a pair of L100Ts but not in the same room.

If your tastes run to hard rock and dance I would look for a system that delivers high output with less emphasis on accuracy and imaging. If your after flat response and detailed imaging the studio monitors may be a better choice since they are crafted to provid even on axis response. Clearly your not going to go for a Paragon or Everest system

Be a little more specific as to what you want, because your going to get a dozen different suggestions from a dozen different people here.

I listen to a variety of music. I really like the l200 or l300, and have wanted to try the jbl horns as opposed to the three waysl100, l112which are fantastic and seem to provide excellant sound. Unfortunately my ear has yet to hear as much as most, I'd like to find an excellant horn speaker, not so scarce to find. I am an extreme novice and greatly appreciate your reply. Any additional responses are appreciated. these will go in the same room with the l112 speakers. Unfortunately I can't say that would be a good match, please forgive my inexperience with speaker matching, and would like to know more.

Horns? Step directly into the realm of constant directivity. 4425 for starters, then 4430.

L200's? They're "fixable."

<-------

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    Horns? Step directly into the realm of constant directivity. 4425 for starters, then 4430....
    Not necessarily... great speakers both to be sure, but they are not everyone's cup of tea. There are many who have posted on these threads that have owned them in the past and not missed them entirely once they had moved on. Of course there are many who wish they still had theirs.

Hey vmax, where are you located? You should try to track down different speakers to audition for yourself and then you can refine your search. If you are near any of the other Lansing Heads you could probably get an invitation to hear their system(s). You might find you like the big Altecs, or a JBL 250Ti, or a???

Widget

I don't necessarily want to start a great debate here but- as Duanage mentioned, I think that the intended application needs to be considered also.

For example, I really respect and get a kick out of my 4430's for listening to two channel, but in the end I always prefer my large format 43XX's.
    However, for HT, the 4430, with its unique characteristics - wins hands down everytime in comparison to my 43XX.

Bring on the flame throwers!

Quote Originally Posted by Chas
    Bring on the flame throwers!
    I'd love to, but what's to argue with?

Widget

Asking other people what sounds best is like asking them what color is best. You need to listen to examples of each in at least one format. Bigger or smaller versions of the horn systems still share similar charactoristics. I have owned compression driver systems and while the high output is nice the imaging was not as good as dome radiators IMHO.
    Then there is the form factor question. Do you want refridgerator sized speakers in your room or would you prefer a more compact footprint. My L11T series has a relatively small footprint and it fits my room well.

Thread Information