I found myself today ripping apart my usual stereo/surround system. I, like one of the other members (name escapes me) have one of those RS RCA center channel speakers. I paid a decent amount for it, on sale no less, and figured it was a decent speaker for the duty. I have here 2 L112's, 2 L40's, 2 KLH 6's and 2 AR 2ax's (plus a pair of small AR's and a pair of small KLH's). I was using the 112's as the front L and R and the 40's for the rear L and R - RCA center. The 6's were out of commission until this afternoon when I was able to replace a blown woofer. Now having all these complete sets I couldn't help but tinker. This meant some major rearranging.
It took several hours but when I was finished...well, let me say that the center channel speaker is quite important, more than I knew. I have the 112's still front L & R, the KLH Model 6's for rear L & R and one L40 for the center (looking way outta place on top of the TV/Entertaintment center. I use a Sansui 8080 for music and have an older Pioneer Dolby Surround receiver (which never impressed me). So, the 112's do double duty (swap wires between the Sansui & Pioneer). When it was all done I fired up the Pioneer and popped in a DVD. Damn, I am impressed. Even though the 044's amd the 033's are not all that similar it doesn't seem to matter. the difference between this setup and the old (with the RCA center) is night and day.
I had "Christmas Vacation" in the DVD just for some yucks as I screwed around reiwring etc. My son and I finished watching it and I then decided to pop in a video in the VCR
to be sure I wired all correctly. I figured "Saving Private Ryan" would also be a good test for the bass. My sons jaw dropped as I turned up the Pioneer to the 11 o'clcock position. I was lamenting the lack of a good sub (also have a cheap powered RCA from a garage sale). Listening to the VCR I really don't think I need one ! My point to all this
(I'm exhausted - after 1am here) is that, having read several posts here about using JBL's for surround - the RCA
as a center, matching all 5 speakers etc., is that the JBL's
make my early 90's Pioneer sound great - the speakers made all the difference. I have been sitting on all these in a different config. becasue I didn't think surround warrented anymore than my small AR's & KLH's with the RCA center. If you are a movie lover - go for it ! I have all the ambinace of a theatre - very warm and balanced sound
even with somewaht of a mis-match. Sounds like I have a whole new system and I take back every nasty thing I said about the Pioneer. I hope this makes sense to someone here because I'm doing a terrible job of writing what I mean to say - sleep, must get some sleeeee.......ZZzzzzzz