I've no clue what to title this, or really where to post it.

The message, though, is worth knowing.

This weekend I re-installed the 2421B's into the 4345's after they were "refreshed" with new Al diaphragms by a very qualified repairman ('cause we're not eligible for getting recone kits or the like... ). I didn't expect much change - afterall, they were working "fine". I had already resurround the 2245H's and 2122H's (THAT us pedestrians are still allowed to do... ), and figured I was mostly there.

WOW!!

Everyone loves to bash the small, 1-3/4 in diaphragm version of compression drivers, and hearing the 4-in series, I too thought .

Ignorant.

The change is remarkable. Very smooth, and even - none of the edginess I had tried to EQ around. Changed the entire sound of the 4345's. Man-oh-man. It has opened-up the entire vocal range, added depth and imaging. I cannot overemphasize the improvement.

OK, I'll bottom line it: If you're listening to diaphragms that are over 10- or 15-yrs old, you should get them replaced. Stop thinking this metal does not fatigue, and that long-term use won't affect their response. (That's twice in one post...).