Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Refresh your Vintage Compression Drivers

Refresh your Vintage Compression Drivers

I've no clue what to title this, or really where to post it.

The message, though, is worth knowing.

This weekend I re-installed the 2421B's into the 4345's after they were "refreshed" with new Al diaphragms by a very qualified repairman ('cause we're not eligible for getting recone kits or the like... ). I didn't expect much change - afterall, they were working "fine". I had already resurround the 2245H's and 2122H's (THAT us pedestrians are still allowed to do... ), and figured I was mostly there.

WOW!!

Everyone loves to bash the small, 1-3/4 in diaphragm version of compression drivers, and hearing the 4-in series, I too thought .

Ignorant.

The change is remarkable. Very smooth, and even - none of the edginess I had tried to EQ around. Changed the entire sound of the 4345's. Man-oh-man. It has opened-up the entire vocal range, added depth and imaging. I cannot overemphasize the improvement.

OK, I'll bottom line it: If you're listening to diaphragms that are over 10- or 15-yrs old, you should get them replaced. Stop thinking this metal does not fatigue, and that long-term use won't affect their response. (That's twice in one post...).

bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Interesting!

Generally the studios do replace them as standard maintenance. It is kind of funny, all the money that people are willing to pay for "Original" 375s.

I'll have to come over with a couple of Heinekens so we can have a listen.

Does that hold true for the Titanium too?? I know the aluminum will work harden, I thought titanium was immune from this but anyone have a similar situation where a fresh titanium diaphram was a major improvement??

Rob

Obsolete
    Originally posted by Mr. Widget
    Interesting!

Generally the studios do replace them as standard maintenance. It is kind of funny, all the money that people are willing to pay for "Original" 375s.
    Yeah, nothing like paying top dollar for wore out drivers eh?

Originally posted by Robh3606
    Does that hold true for the Titanium too?? I know the aluminum will work harden, I thought titanium was immune from this but anyone have a similar situation where a fresh titanium diaphram was a major improvement??
    Titanium is supposed to last considerably longer, especially under stress. Last year I replaced a pair of 044Ti diaphragms simply because the original diaphragms were 15 years old. The new diaphragms are night and day better.

Performance of mechanical transducers degrades until eventual failure. They tend to follow the laws of nature pretty much like everything else.

I replaced the diaphrams in my 044TI drivers recently as well, as Giskard said, it was a big improvement. I attribute a lot of the change to the replacement of the foam rubber pad behind the dome. That pad seems to be made of a material similar to the foam woofer surrounds, and it rots the same way.

Originally posted by Don C
    I attribute a lot of the change to the replacement of the foam rubber pad behind the dome. That pad seems to be made of a material similar to the foam woofer surrounds, and it rots the same way.
    You got that right!

So what did you use as replacement, or where you able to find the exact part number...?
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Huh ?

Bo

Everyone loves to bash the small, 1-3/4 in diaphragm version of compression drivers,,,
    Really ???? Where ???? Fighting Words !!!!!

- And here I thought this forum/site was constructed to celebrate and deify Jim Lansings' efforts for designing & bringing to market the 1.75" & 2.88" aluminum diaphragmed compression drivers .

OOPs - wrong turn,

<. Earl K

So what did you use as replacement, or where you able to find the exact part number...?
    I was able to obtain the correct parts.
    Last edited by Don C; 09-15-2003 at 10:16 PM.

Alex Lancaster

Smile

I find the 1.75" drivers fine for home with the 2307/12 horns and 2308 lenses, now it will be the first time I use for HiFi 4"īs, I have 2445's, extra new 2450 diaphs. and some time, I will post my impressions.

Alex

Re-Coning

Hi all.

Well, what did you all expect? A 15 year old car (with no service) to be in the same shape as a new????

NAAA

Regards

Rolf

Maron Horonzakz
    How long would the MYLAR surrounds on RADIAN diaphrams last? Would the 15 yr rule apply?

Maron Horonzakz
    Your wrong day old bread breath your not that old your self.

Unless it rains!!!! In which case the Radians that I had (years ago) came apart where the coil is attached to the aluminum on the mylar surface.That was the end of Radians for me in pro applications.To be fair to Radian they say the adhesive problem has been fixed (also long ago),Oldmics

Maron Horonzakz
    I dont know either. I guess OLDMIC answere will have to suffice for now. I just thought Mylar would have a longer stress life. I didnt think a glue problem would happen.

"I didnt think a glue problem would happen."

Neither did Radian!

Thread Information