Thread: Enclosure design, dimensions & driver alignment

Enclosure design, dimensions & driver alignment

Some of these questions may seem rather basic, but they are things that I have either pondered or just accepted rightly or wrongly. For me building a box is trial and error, you learn as you go but, there are surprises along the way. Your own observations would be appreciated.

Reflex designs

Does box shape and driver alignment make a difference in the end sound. ie: trap vs rectangle? While the overall combined image is going to vary with design and placement, would the individual drivers at least sound identical on their own, box to box? Would they all have identical SPL, identical DI. the identical throw?

To me, two separate drivers in identical single cabs sound different than two drivers in the same air space?

Does the air space have to be bang on. My understanding is that there is a 10% allowable variance. If this is true does tuning to the exact air space make a difference?

Does the depth of a box make any difference. Are certain shapes more prone to back spillage or unwanted effects assuming there are no protruding edges?

Since speakers are generally round, should they not disperse in an even circle of approximately 100 degrees? Even taking the woofer out of the equation, why do front load traps list horizontal and vertical coverage with different values, if box design doesn't matter shouldn't the H/V be the same?

In a vertical setup, how much driver interference exists in the vertical plane between components that are covering different ranges? ie: bass and mid. The box certainly responds different if you turn it on it's side. Does a vertical alingment of different range drivers alter vertical beam?

If two designs using the same components sound different, would there not be a corresponding difference in other parameters-- throw, coverage, etc.?

My take: I have consulted other peers, and they say shape makes no difference as I was also originally taught. How can you argue with physics? But, at the same time they also agree that in the practical world differences do exist. How can you argue when physical proof is placed infront of you? I have noticed tiny differences when using different designs with identical components. the best example of this is a floor wedge vs the same components in a rectangular enclosure. but, it is often hard to tell if the differences are just situational or a small deficiency in construction. For now I'm on the other side of the fence. the box below is a fabulous sounding box. it is composed of 13 ply russian birtch with daido'd joints and employs no internal bracing. it's main acoustic signature is that it sounds full and disperses immediately and has impact upfront; it peaks at 80Hz and uses the recommended JBL air space. it also has the characteristic that it doesn't project well. this is most obvious in an outdoor situation.
    Bottom line, it acoustically sounds different than an inline trap with the same drivers. up close they are equally loud but the rectangular box has a fuller sound, the trap throws farther. WHY? both boxes are properly made and have fine qualities on their own. The differences are too hard to ignore.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

esplain

I am not sure what an "inline trap" design is. Pls elaborate

i got in trouble for this last time. by in line, i'm refering to the drivers lined up in a vertical positioning.

Thanks for the...

clarification!

BTW That is a very nice console in your avitar!

Thread Information