Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JBL L46 project speakers

JBL L46 project speakers

I have decided on my first pair of speakers to be these:

http://home.comcast.net/~jklorenzon/jbl.html

The 8 woofers need surrounds at the very least. I figure I might as well start small. They make some sound and the tweeters sound fine. Should I try surrounds or a recone? They sounded a little scratchy when I lightly pushed in on the cones.

Cabinetry is in prime shpae with only 1 light scratch and the grills need new cloth (though only 1 whole) and the badges are intact .

Any guidance here is greatly appreciated!

Yank

Quote Originally Posted by bigyank
    I have decided on my first pair of speakers to be these:

http://home.comcast.net/~jklorenzon/jbl.html

The 8 woofers need surrounds at the very least. I figure I might as well start small. They make some sound and the tweeters sound fine. Should I try surrounds or a recone? They sounded a little scratchy when I lightly pushed in on the cones.

Cabinetry is in prime shpae with only 1 light scratch and the grills need new cloth (though only 1 whole) and the badges are intact .

Any guidance here is greatly appreciated!

Yank
    With the surrounds shot, there is nothing other than the spider centering the voice-coil in the gap of the magnet. Therefore, the voice-coil former will scrape on the pole/top plate of the magnet when you press on the cone. It isn't likely that they need reconing, only new surrounds to be in ready to go condition. With the new surrounds correctly in place, the suspension geometry will be restored and the voice-coil will be able to move freely without contact.

Great score too!

Thanks! I am excited, wife looks at me and thinks I am nits. I got these for 13.50 each! Anyone have a preferred supplier of surrounds for these? The woofers are 117H-1's are there "proper" kits for these I can get? Also grill cloth as well

Yank

As I look through the forum here and infamous google, I see kits for 116A's for example but not the 117h-1's , are these close enough to work? New woofers are still available from JBL for over 148.00 each but that ain't gonna happen!

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=260-920

I was going to order these from Parts Express if someone can educate me on determining the measurement for surrounds, if that is required!

Yank

As I look through the forum here and infamous google, I see kits for 116A's for example but not the 117h-1's , are these close enough to work? New woofers are still available from JBL for over 148.00 each but that ain't gonna happen!

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=260-920

I was going to order these from Parts Express if someone can educate me on determining the measurement for surrounds, if that is required!

Yank
    The vendor recommended to me here (although I have not purchased from him yet) is looneytune2001 on eBay. I would drop him a line on that. No reason to buy new woofers just yet. This thread is also worth the time to read -

Resurrounding: Step by Step

I have a pair of those 034 tweeters if you need a set.

transducergeek

I have your pair of 8" surrounds with adhesive and brush, if you need them.

I sent a PM, no response yet, but if you need the 8" surrounds for this project, with a bottle of adhesive and application brush, I am able to fill the order. The set=$10/pair. Thanks, Rolf E.

Actually, I did respond .....I was also looking to an Ebay user referred from members here as well. I will get back to you by weeks end!

Yank

I have a signal generator if you need it for aligning the driver.

I was hoping for self alignment.

I have the page book marked here for surround replacement and I was going to follow that to the letter, we shall see. I will keep your generous offer in mind though!

Thanks!
    Yank

So transducergeek and I have spoken!

I am ordering the kit from transducergeek tomorrow. Thank you sir and I am excited about getting these going. I will post pics of my progress once the kits are received. Out of town Mod-Wed so hopefully I get these in time for the following weekend!

I know I am jumping the gun but I want some blue cloth for these! I think this color will offset nicely to the what I think are black walnut (am I correct?) veneer which is going to get the treatment as well!

Gotta love vintage stuff! Oh, these are ultimately driven by a Sansui AU-G99X 160 watt/ch integrated in the family room!

Yank

The L46 is a very good loudspeaker, I bought some not to long ago. I have been playing with the placement especially since I am using two sets of speakers, The 46's seem to sound better above my 50's and forward I have tried several different scenerios and probably have not found the sweet spot yet. The 46 tweeters seem to overwhelm the the 50's when in close proximity.

Can I assume they are on stands? If so how high? I am looking at stands as well!

Yank

I know I am jumping the gun but I want some blue cloth for these! I think this color will offset nicely to the what I think are black walnut (am I correct?) veneer which is going to get the treatment as well!
    JBL Monitor Blue grille cloth goes perfectly on just about any vintage JBL speaker.

[One, two, YOU know what to do.... ]

They are now ,I basically used everthing in the house that I could think of to place them at different levels. As of now the 46's are at 17'' inches high at the base and the 50's are at 8'' I have the 50's two feet back and apart angled at about 20 degrees in. so far this is the best position but I think the 50's need to go out more but I only have so much room. If you are just using the 46's they sound very good by themselves at 17''.

Thread Information