+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: Receiver for L26?

  1. #1
    agrout
    Guest

    Receiver for L26?

    I just got some L26 speakers, and am now looking for a vintage receiver. What would be a good matchup with these? I am thinking along the lines of Yamaha CR-1020 or lower, or perhaps a Marantz 2270 or lower? What kind of power do these speakers like? Many thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Lancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    473
    I used a 2230B, CA-810 and a CR-820 with mine. They did fine. H/K's are better though. More guts.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Rusnzha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    448
    Find a nice used Luxman receiver on ePay. L26s don't need huge power. My L100s do fine with 50 wpc.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Lancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    473
    Oh yeah, plenty of good Luxman gear over the years.

  5. #5
    Senior Member rockecat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Columbia,MO
    Posts
    114
    Here are some good choices you can pick up on E-bay very cheap,
    only the big sx series bring all the money.

    http://www.silverpioneer.netfirms.co..._receivers.htm

  6. #6
    RIP 2013 Rolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Skien, Norway
    Posts
    2,322

    50WPC

    Quote Originally Posted by Rusnzha
    Find a nice used Luxman receiver on ePay. L26s don't need huge power. My L100s do fine with 50 wpc.
    With my experience the L100 does not really open up with any less than about 150wpc. Citation 16 comes to mind.

    Rolf
    It's really all about music.
    Rolf

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    539

    Receiver for L26

    I'll second Rolf re the sonic benefit of 150 watts and more for the L100 as long as it's clean/quality watts. Brothers 4311b took on a new life when he started powering them with a Yamaha MX-1000u (260x2). JBLs can digest more watts than you can throw at them.

  8. #8
    RIP 2013 Rolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Skien, Norway
    Posts
    2,322

    Power to the JBL's

    Quote Originally Posted by majick47
    I'll second Rolf re the sonic benefit of 150 watts and more for the L100 as long as it's clean/quality watts. Brothers 4311b took on a new life when he started powering them with a Yamaha MX-1000u (260x2). JBLs can digest more watts than you can throw at them.
    Yes. The more power the better...to a point where the question of power does not matter anymore......

    Rolf
    It's really all about music.
    Rolf

  9. #9
    Senior Member Lancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    473
    Having heard the 150 WPC Citation 16 side by side with a 70 WPC Luxman R-115 I have to say it isn't even a contest. The Luxman has better bottom end and much smoother response across the board. And I'm a big fan of old Citation gear. (Of course the Citation 16 really is a good match with the L100). The Citation XX was the first of H/K's high current gear and set the standard for future high current designs. While the Luxman R-113, R-115 and R-117 weren't necessarily marketed as high current designs (can't remember for sure) they definitely had some serious juice that didn't jive with their conservative power ratings.

    Remember that the L26 is running that 2-inch coil and doesn't have a ton of magnet behind.

  10. #10
    RIP 2013 Rolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Skien, Norway
    Posts
    2,322

    Citation

    Quote Originally Posted by Lancer
    Having heard the 150 WPC Citation 16 side by side with a 70 WPC Luxman R-115 I have to say it isn't even a contest. The Luxman has better bottom end and much smoother response across the board.
    Hi Lancer. It was not my point that the Citation 16 is the best power amp for the L100. It was just the first amp I heard on the L100 that really got me to understand what the "little box" could do with a little more power.

    Rolf
    It's really all about music.
    Rolf

  11. #11
    Senior Member Lancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    473
    Got it

  12. #12
    Senior Member bigstereo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Hamburg, NY
    Posts
    192
    I'm curious to know how my Phase Linear 400II would work with L100's What'd y'all think?

  13. #13
    Senior Member Rusnzha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    448
    Originally written by Rolf

    Hi Lancer. It was not my point that the Citation 16 is the best power amp for the L100. It was just the first amp I heard on the L100 that really got me to understand what the "little box" could do with a little more power.
    I hear what you are saying Rolf, but stranger things have happened. When I bought my first JBLs, a pair of 88Ps, I had a Citation 11 & 12. I was going through some changes and wanted a receiver. I got this little Fisher A202 in exchange and it totally smoked the Citation seperates. I had to get them off the floor when I moved and then I really began to understand what the "little box" could do. I was especially amazed how much they gave me at moderate SPLs, mind blowing!

  14. #14
    Senior Member bigstereo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Hamburg, NY
    Posts
    192

    Can I get a hell yeah!!!?

    Just grabbed a pair of 4311's off of epay for...........don't ask. All done in the name of ROCK and ROLL!

  15. #15
    RIP 2013 Rolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Skien, Norway
    Posts
    2,322
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusnzha


    I hear what you are saying Rolf, but stranger things have happened. When I bought my first JBLs, a pair of 88Ps, I had a Citation 11 & 12. I was going through some changes and wanted a receiver. I got this little Fisher A202 in exchange and it totally smoked the Citation seperates. I had to get them off the floor when I moved and then I really began to understand what the "little box" could do. I was especially amazed how much they gave me at moderate SPLs, mind blowing!
    Well, I probably should not say this as I am sure many will "try to get me", but what the h.ll. Personally I have never liked the combination of HK/JBL. To much "stone". A "softer" amp like Luxman or Accuphase (witch I used on the L100 many years ago) is more like it. Regarding the need for power I believe a little more is better. As a rule I say 3 times max power handling as the speaker can take. BUT you can never give the volume knob to somebody else.

    I like to point out that amp/JBL combination above applied to the 70th. Much have happend with amps since that time, not so much with speakers.

    I bow my head to those more learned than I...

    Rolf
    It's really all about music.
    Rolf

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Need New Receiver or seperates
    By ooppalla in forum Consumer Amps
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10-20-2005, 09:04 PM
  2. Altec Lansing 714A hifi receiver (vintage)
    By marcomassimi in forum Consumer Amps
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-08-2005, 01:33 PM
  3. New guy, have a question
    By Boss96 in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-29-2004, 08:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts