Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: B460 Subwoofer information

B460 Update 2-1-06

Plans have been sent to John for verification of dimensions, about a week ago. Once I have verified dimensions from John, I will make the corrections. All we have left to work on is the grill drawing and documentation. John has been absolutely great to work with on this project. Hope we can complete it before too much longer. It seems that pesky "Job Thing" keeps getting in the way of important stuff like this.

If you read this John maybe you can give us an update on the drawing review.

MB

Butch Adams

B460

I almost gave up, glad to see this moving forward again. Will you be able to provide cut details for joints? That front looks tricky

Yes, But......

Since we are only providing dimensions from measuring an actual unit, you will have the liberty to use any corner joints you are comfortable with. As with all copies of an original, there will be a bit of improvising required on the part of the assembler. The internal volume will be right and external dimensions will allow for a very exact replica.

I am interested in being as exact as possible, so.......o, If any one has any info on the joints and has a b460 disassembled that can share that info with me I will include it in the final drawing.

I welcome any info from anyone.

MB

I am home again and will push this forward, Lets see if we can get the info togeather so anyone that is ready to take a crack at this can start letting the wood fly!!!

Quote Originally Posted by John
    I am home again and will push this forward, Lets see if we can get the info togeather so anyone that is ready to take a crack at this can start letting the wood fly!!!
    Hi John,

Any news of the B460 dimensions ?

Pascal
    Spirou38 JBL 4344MKII 4333A 4312MKII L80T L40 L20T Ti2000

i like to help with some filter parts if i can..
    Maby a electronic filter with variable phase-shift and some other funny stuff
    Thanks Jens

B460

Hi Jon,

Here is my first JBL B460 clone without the speaker.

http://pas.voisin.free.fr/JBL_B460/B460_compressed.jpg

But it's just a prototype, a half size one with just estimated dimensions !

Any news of the CAAD drawings ?

Best regards.

Pascal

Hey Pascal

- Nice prototype !

- Here's a reduction of your jpg, for anyone wanting to keep it on file .

Attached Images Attached Images  

Hope you made that cutout for an 8" driver (vs. 9")
    Just the box to put in one of the many 112H drivers we all have laying around.

(nice work and use of splines) -grumpy

mrbluster

B460 CROSSOVER

Maby a electronic filter with variable phase-shift and some other funny stuff
    [/QUOTE]

If or when someone builds an updated BX63A I would like to put in my order now. Variable phase shift would be nice, as well as a range starting around 32HZ. Also a XO "bypass" that still included the necessary EQ for use with a Dolby 5.1 Sub output.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy
    Hope you made that cutout for an 8" driver (vs. 9")
    Just the box to put in one of the many 112H drivers we all have laying around.

(nice work and use of splines) -grumpy
    Thus the cut-out has been done for a 8" driver the volume is not big enough for using a good 8" driver

For the veneering finish, I first put a gold oak tint ; then, 10 times of the forum recommanded mixture made of 1/4 turpentine 3/4 linseed oil, but I forgot that I had to sand between the 2 or 3 first coatings ; the patina is very close to JBL's but the color is not red enough. I think that it is probably because I used french walnut veneering. Next time I will try to mix with a little bit of mahogany color.

In the definitive version of my B460 clone I will first use a JBL W15GTi driver ( that I currently have ) because it is very difficult to find 2245H in France or in Europe. So the clone will have a removable front panel and also easily removable ports. So that if I find a 2245H ...

But for the moment, I don't have the exact dimensions of the original B460 , my prototypr has been done with estimated dimensions that I extrapolated from pictures. I hope John could soon post the CAAD drawings with true dimensions.

Pascal

Hello spirou38 the box looks great. There is 2 2245h for sale here in the south of sweden ( not mine ). Itīs not so far from France.

regards mats

3-9-06 Update

There seems to be some differences between the published JBL size and the measurements, which John and I have measured. Once this is straitened out I will post the first of our progress for others to use as they wish. Then we will start the dimensioning of the grill and Internal bracing. Please be patient as this task has proved to be more difficult than I had originally expected. AutoCAD is not very forgiving when it comes to measurements that differ as little as 1/32.

If you read this John, let me know when your schedule will allow us to finish the main cabinet dimensions.

Regards

MB

Quote Originally Posted by mbottz
    There seems to be some differences between the published JBL size and the measurements, which John and I have measured. Once this is straitened out I will post the first of our progress for others to use as they wish. Then we will start the dimensioning of the grill and Internal bracing. Please be patient as this task has proved to be more difficult than I had originally expected. AutoCAD is not very forgiving when it comes to measurements that differ as little as 1/32.

If you read this John, let me know when your schedule will allow us to finish the main cabinet dimensions.

Regards

MB
    Hello Mbottz,

Have fun with Auto CAD . Did you measured in " or in millimeters ?
    Thank you for the great job that John & you are doing .

Best regards from France.

Pascal

At Last !!!!

Well it has been a much bigger task than I originally expected, but at last we have a drawing. For those of you who have been following this for the last 6 months or better I apologize it has taken so long. Thanks to my CAD operator Jeff Scott, I am in your debt for the many hours you have spent on this. This drawing is as close as CAD will allow us to get to the actual measurements. I might add that when we measured the actual B460 many dimensions differed from the posted dimensions in the brochures. This is why it was taking so long. So keep in mind that this is extremely close but may differ from actual +/- 1/16 in some areas. It is up to the builder what type joints to use and what materials to use. I am not sure any of us has the time to wait for me to research these details. Should someone else wish to add these items, be my guest.
    It is hard to believe that with all the time spent on this it is still not complete. John and I still have the grill and bracing to document. However this drawing will allow any one wishing to build a B460 more than enough info to create one. No way to tell when the grill and bracing drawings will be complete. So enjoy for now and let the wood chips fly !!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information