Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: B460 Subwoofer information

B460 Subwoofer information

After seeing the latest B460 selling on e-bay, and reading the excellent reviews from others in the forum, I must have one!! Being on a budget which will not allow me to compete for the one currently selling on e-pay, I would like to build one.

I have read may threads from other members wanting to build a B460 subwoofer as well. I have found many beautiful pictures from members in the archives, but no published dimensions or drawings. Is there a set of plans for these subwoofers out there? If so can anyone direct me to them? If not is anyone willing to help me catalog the dimensions into a set of construction drawings?

If someone will assist me, I will create a set of plans and have them drawn in CAD. When finished I will submit to the forum for the archives and anyone else who wishes to construct one.

I am interested in constructing one for my home theater setup and would appreciate any help given.

Thanks

Mike

The design basics are here:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/.../1983-subs.htm

But, if I'm reading you correctly, you're talking about construction drawings for the real thing? Nobody's worked that up that I'm aware of here....

The real thing

There is something about the look of the JBL B460. You are exactly right, I am interested in the recreating the classic JBL look as well as the sound.

Hope someone can help with this.

Mike

There was a thread a short while ago where someone was making a 460 and another forum member provided measurements and photos. Search for 460 and you shall find

I happened to remember John was involved so I did a search on B460 and his name:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=5382

I remembered the kitty sittin' in there, but couldn't search by image....

Hi I have to apologize I dropped that thread when I dropped my boat in the water this summer, but that is over now and it is back to all things JBL

I am in contact with mbottz and will supply him with the info needed for him to develop them into a CAD drawing which will be posted and shared on this forum.

Yes, We have a volunteer !!!

Many thanks to John for volunteering his time to help with this project. Stay tuned for more updates in the coming month/s. I think it is important to document the classic designs, which hold an interest for many of our members. I have been able to repair most any cabinet to like new condition,(L-100's, L65's, 4311's, and other common models) but finding lower production specialty enclosures to restore such as the B460 are almost impossible to find and even more difficult to afford.

Once the drawings are complete I will start construction of my own B460. Another thread will be posted to follow the progress. Then we can let the forum decide if this is a valuable effort of not.

Should this develop the way I hope it will, and there is enough interest, I may tackle a larger project. Any suggestions?

Thanks again John

Mike

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancer
    @#%& what the forum thinks, they're all a bunch of @#$%&*@. This is most definitely a valuable effort so thank you right up front for the effort.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=3166
    agreed....

ummm, about the valuable effort part.
    gotta admit that I like most of Lancer's too though...

[QUOTE=mbottz]After seeing the latest B460 selling on e-bay, and reading the excellent reviews from others in the forum, I must have one!! Being on a budget which will not allow me to compete for the one currently selling on e-pay, I would like to build one.

I have read may threads from other members wanting to build a B460 subwoofer as well. I have found many beautiful pictures from members in the archives, but no published dimensions or drawings. Is there a set of plans for these subwoofers out there? If so can anyone direct me to them? If not is anyone willing to help me catalog the dimensions into a set of construction drawings?

If someone will assist me, I will create a set of plans and have them drawn in CAD. When finished I will submit to the forum for the archives and anyone else who wishes to construct one.

Hi Mike Are you still on this, have not heard from you for quite a while since I supplied all the exterior dimensions

I have a friend helping me with the CAD portion (I can only draw things by hand) and it has taken longer than anticipated to get to a point I can send you a drawing for dimension verification. CAD is a funny thing as when you draw the cabinet if you are off in any calculations the program lets you know!! There were a few dimensions we had to take liberty with to make the drawing come out correctly. I am just waiting on my (free) help to fit the project in to his busy schedule and finish the drawing. Today he said he would probally be finished sometime this week. I will send you a PDF copy when done for a recheck of dimensions. Once you bestow your blessing on the dimensions we can start on the internal bracing and grill frame.

Feel free to e-mail me with any ?'s at [email protected]

MB

That sounds good, I will be ready when you are. I am glad everything is good at that end as sometimes life happens when we least expect it!

Hi John,

Could you forward me the dimension info?
    mailto:[email protected]
    Need to get this cabinet going.
    Thanks
    Al

Heffaklumpen
    If itīs possible I would like those drawings too.

I have a 2245h laying around waiting for me to build a cabinet.

thank you
    Heffaklumpen (from Sweden)
    [email protected]

Hi guys,

Are there news about the B460 cabinet drawings ?
    I like to make some sub's as well.
    thanks jens [email protected]

Thread Information