Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good deal BUT

My JBL 6260's thump, but only occasionally, when the relay doesn't drop out fast enough on turnoff, I figure....

Regis
    Good luck on the problem, Ken. I don't know anything about this amp, but depending on it's time-era, the thump can be normal or totally out of context. My mid 70's ESS Eclipse has a pretty good thump on the start and the cap draining noise on the power-off. By the late 70's, early 80's, just about everybody had a built-in circuit to soft-start the whole shebang.

Thanks Guys

I am sure it will all work out. I have been damned tempted on going all QSC Bo. They do have a stellar reputation. I know of one major studio that has gone from Brystons and Crown Reference Series to all QSC's and are extremely happy with them. They have a whole new series coming out in the first quarter next year. Very high end. Unfortunately the SRA series was a flop and they dropped it within a couple of months of introduction. They have since gone back to the drawing board and redesigned it.

Ken

Hey, Ken...

I winced at your story - that is one characteristic I never face with these.

But, you're more current than am I on QSC's lineup, it seems.

I've had them in my studio and roadracks for over 5-years. They just friggen' work, and stand-up to all manner of abuse - physical and current related. They sound great - er, make that fantastic. But, I got lucky - they were recommended by my engineer, who uses them in all his installs 'cause they themselves don't ever result in a service or unsatisfied client call to him.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

But Bo,

Joe said to me (and may have commented to you ) he though your system sounded a bit sterile.

Perhaps you ain't been playin enough sexy music man!

Ian

Ken,

Internally, are the compression drivers protected via a series capacitor?

Ian

transducergeek

If it were me, i'd....

This thump is pretty normal on many amps without relays, or other delay circuits. The squeal is another issue, but I will guess is in the "range" of normal for this amp circuit. It obviously has no "thump-delay" circuit functioning. Not in the design, or malfunctioning. If it were me...(IIWM)? I would first call and talk to an ENGINEER, not a sales helper, or some other service flunky...I would ask specifically,
    One... "does this model amp have a protection for TURN ON/OFF THUMPS?"
    And two.. "does this model amp normally squeal on power-down?"

If the first answer is "yes" .... send it in... ask them if they will make it perfect and quiet..

If the second answer is "No" ... send it in...

If the answer is "No...."
    and "Yes" save all the shipping hassle/cost.. nothing will change with the amp.... just your wallet... and put in a cutoff switch for the speaker lines, you flip the switch after amp is on for a few seconds (10?)... and a few seconds after it is turned off (30?) ... problem solved...

I spoke with the head tech at Boulder today. Apparently the Roderstein Electrolytic Caps used on the main board have a history of leakage over time. He was sure that is the problem. They want me to send it back and do a 500.00 fix. At the end of the conversation he said no charge.

Gotta like that.

Ken

transducergeek

That's that...

N/C is the correct answer..... Ship it!

Quote Originally Posted by transducergeek
    N/C is the correct answer..... Ship it!
    Abso-freakin-lutely!

Especially when they acknowledge the component going bad. I've worked for 3 different speaker manufacturers over nearly 20 years & still find my employ at the last. If you have a known failure that occurs after the warranty period, you take care of it at N/C or at the least, at your cost. It is just what you do.

I bought a plate amp from Madisound in 1997 while visiting their warehouse in Madison. 6 years later it lost a cap and rectifier bridge. I returned it to them and they repaired it , shipped it back in a week, and did not charge me a cent. I even offered to send them money for the shipping but they would not take it.

Long out of warranty and not an expensive, high margin item either.
    Made me a long term customer for sure.

Thread Information