Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: crown dc 300a power amps

When the PSA2's were new they were great, as they age they develop problems. High speed fans running for no reason, inconsistant turn on sequences, and when they blow up you can nolonger get ourput transistors. I have owned two until they both blew up in the same week. I replaced them with a pair of Crown K1's about five years ago.

Ps. I also have four DC300 Series 11's and love all of them.
    Well why not it's just one more pair...
    4340's and 250ti's what an odd pair...

Quote Originally Posted by gene View Post
    I want to thank all of you guys for your input on the crown 300a.I here differnt stories not enough power , drivers being blown etc. I have other speakers that I can hook this amp up with. what you guys can help me with. I love jbl speakers and I want plenty of bottom deep bass smooth silky highs and laid back mids. I need some input on a good amp thats not only sound awesome but have the power to run my speakers, I have a 12 cubit ft speaker jbl 2245h/2202h/2425hand 2404h, crossover at250 1200 5000khz. also i need the amp to have huge caps and transformer. I dont like any of that light weight stuff no balls at all in the bass deparment. or at low volume. thanks gene
    If you want to hear some real bass.....get yourself a Krell!

DC300 blown

Guess what? My much loved and trusty old Crown - I think it is from the late 70s or early 80s - has blown one channel. And taken the my ESS Heil AMT3 with it(now there's a histroy lesson for you). Thankfully th eHeil driver is OK, but speaker gone open circuit.

My trusted tech has the amp and has ifentified the p[roblems, but can't find replacements or listed substitutes for two of the tansistors - I gather others have had problems with this. Does anyopne have a circuit diagram for the output stage he might be able to look and and identify the appropriate items to use?

For identication purposes, mine has a silver front, with a black strip with Crown DC300A along the lower part, and two big black gain knobs.

BTW, I am not technically literate - I believe electricity works on voodoo, so leave it to those who know black magic - so please keep any replies in layperson's terms!

I would very much appreciate any help you can give.

Cheers
    powerd
    Canberra, Australia

schematics

all the old crown schematics are online ( well almost ) be SURE to match the board with the one you have. there are at least 9 versions.

And all the transistors are available ( or the modern eq ) from crown. If the transistors are substituted in the output stage, you will need to replace whole banks unless you find some that are used ( I have a stash )

what are the numbers?

http://www.crownaudio.com/gen_htm/legacy/legacamp.htm

Thread Information