Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parametric EQ's

RacerXtreme

Parametric EQ's

How many of you guys use parametric EQ's ? I've got an old SAE that works fine but haven't hooked it up in years.

Guy

I have been using a pair of Technichs 12-band parametric eq's for years. But after I got the 4-ways adjusted they were put in storage.

Seems they have found a new mission, helping the Sovereigns...
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

RIP 2009
    I use parametric EQ's all the time, but mostly for live, (band), sound. One really needs something like CLIO to get accurate enough curves for meaningful parametric EQ for actual equalization - I use parametrics mainly for contouring curves for a particular audio effect.

John

The BSS 366 units I use for crossovers have parametric EQs in them, which I use extensively. Everything is done in the digital domain.

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec
    One really needs something like CLIO to get accurate enough curves for meaningful parametric EQ for actual equalization
    I second that.

Without measuring you'll end up extra frustrated.
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

Cool Technics

I also employ Technics P.Eq. sometimes, but it is a bear to get it right. For me it takes some serious time, more than I'm usually prepared to spend. However, once done correctly, it's very good.
    Out.

Harryup
    Using a pair of BSS366T as well. Can't live without them. Using them only for home stereo or HT use.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryup
    Using a pair of BSS366T as well. Can't live without them. Using them only for home stereo or HT use.
    Do you use the analog or digital inputs on your BSS366t? I have been trying to find a way to use the digital output from my CD player into the BSS, but I have problems controlling the volume of the system. Volume controls on the outputs are not practical for me, and the only device I've tried for controlling the volume in the digital domain is a Meridian 518. I don't think it sounds too good, which seems to support those who think you shouldn't use a digital volume control. Have you tried anything that works?

As a general principle, attenuation in the digital domain implies concomitant sacrifice of bit resolution; volume control should be post-digital, i.e., analog, to retain it, particularly if a broad adjustment range is required....

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    As a general principle, attenuation in the digital domain implies concomitant sacrifice of bit resolution; volume control should be post-digital, i.e., analog, to retain it, particularly if a broad adjustment range is required....
    I know you are right, It's just that I haven't wanted to give up on an all digital signal path to the outputs of the BSS units. Since I am working towards an active surround system, I'm looking at a minimum of 12 channels that need attenuation that is syncronised (and preferably remote controlled, but I guess I'm willing to sacrifice that). I don't know of any device that will accomplish this. I saw a 16 channel volume control made by Kramer, but it turns out they convert the analog input to digital, attenuate the signal, then convert back to analog at the output. What sense does that make??

Quote Originally Posted by stevem
    Do you use the analog or digital inputs on your BSS366t? I have been trying to find a way to use the digital output from my CD player into the BSS, but I have problems controlling the volume of the system. Volume controls on the outputs are not practical for me, and the only device I've tried for controlling the volume in the digital domain is a Meridian 518. I don't think it sounds too good, which seems to support those who think you shouldn't use a digital volume control. Have you tried anything that works?
    I use the DEQX PDC2.6P. It has some volume control in the digital domain, but it is strictly for trimming. The real volume control is done post digitally with an analog section and with this unit running the digital out from a CD player is definitely better than the analog in. I do use the analog in for SACD and analog sources and it sound quite good too, but for red book CDs using the higher quality DAC built into the DEQX unit is a significant improvement.

As for Parametric EQ... the DEQX offers either graphic or parametric... I prefer the parametric, though I prefer no EQ at all if the speakers will allow it. Obviously most speakers need some EQ.

Since I am working towards an active surround system, I'm looking at a minimum of 12 channels that need attenuation that is syncronised (and preferably remote controlled, but I guess I'm willing to sacrifice that). I don't know of any device that will accomplish this.
    If you were using DEQX units you could gang them and accomplish it. DEQX will support up to 8.8.... not that anyone would use 8 subs.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    If you were using DEQX units you could gang them and accomplish it. DEQX will support up to 8.8.... not that anyone would use 8 subs.

Widget
    Does this mean 16 channels? I'm assuming multiple units. Can the volume controls on each unit be syncronised to work together?

Do you mean 16 channels as in 5 channels of three ways plus a sub, or do you mean 16 speaker systems? Each DEQX unit is a 6 channel device in that it has a stereo pair of 3 channels each. Yes the remote controlled outs will all be controlled simultaneously.

http://www.deqx.com/index_content.html

Widget

I guess what I'd be looking for are a total of 12 channels, each for a separatre driver (mains - 3 way pair, center 2 way, surrounds - 2 way pair). Can two DEQX units be linked so the outputs of all 12 channels are controlled together?

Can two DEQX units be linked so the outputs of all 12 channels are controlled together?
    Yes, however they are not as flexible as some pro gear. Two DEQX units will control 4 multi-way speakers and subs, but they can not be broken down into 5 multi-way systems. That would require adding a third DEQX unit. Many of us have asked for them to come out with a model 3.9 so that a 2.6 and 3.9 could be ganged and manage a 5.1 system more reasonably. I have been told that it will come, but the company is still fairly small and adding new models and functionality is a slow process. The beauty of DEQX is that it is sonically near the very best available and once set up it is simple to use.

Widget

Thread Information