Thread: New DAC or new CD player?

New DAC or new CD player?

I have an older, but high quality CD player (a Sony 707ES). I'm thinking of buying a quality outboard DAC (for about $900) and using the Sony as a transport, but I'm wondering if it wouldn't be a better idea to just buy a new CD player instead (for maybe $2000 or so). Am I giving up anything using an old CD player for a transport? What would you do?

Hi
    Have you read the thread about usuing the old playstation?
    i`d probally give that a go and see if these a diffrence between that and your sony.
    30$ test cant hurt.
    I never been a fan of sony cd players but have heard the original playstation many times it`s amoungst my favorites
    or spend the cash on a high end sound card!
    http://www.medpot.net/forums/

daily volcano demo`s
    find out the truth
    tell`em morbo sent you

mention lansing heritage for 10% off

The 707 was and still is a great machine, they don't build them like that anymore. I have one, that sadly is used today only for making digital to digital copies, it was replaced by an XA777-ESD (slightly modified) a couple of years ago.

The build quality is really nice, the disc drawer and transport are fast and smooth. My XA pales compared to the 707 in this regard.

If you are somewhat handy with a soldering iron, and are brave, there are some mods you can do to greatly improve it. I am talking about things such as upgrading the I/V and output op-amps with at least AD744's, adding pull down current sources or resistors, removing the FDNR filters, bypassing output caps and improving the analogue power supply filter and the decoupling caps. BUT you have to be aware of the pitfalls too, such as minimal antiliasing filtering, and DC offset at the output!

Practically speaking these days I would think that you should be able to scoop up a really nice D/A for a good price since the separate D/A fad has passed somewhat - many Audiophiles are moving over to SACD and DVD technologies.

One to look for is the last Assemblage top of the line model. It was tweaked out and was one of the last well engineered units available at a moderate price.

I would give upgrading to a new DAC serious consideration, especially if you could give the new piece an audition prior to purchase.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by morbo!
    or spend the cash on a high end sound card!
    Yeah, seriously. I love my M-audio Revolution 7.1... Not even expensive... $100. Better sound then any CD player, theoreticly atleast. (Obviously if your listening to a recording from a CD...) So much more quick... Fuck changing cds. If I'm changing anything it will be vinyl.
    Excuse my ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by Chas
    The 707 was and still is a great machine, they don't build them like that anymore. I have one, that sadly is used today only for making digital to digital copies, it was replaced by an XA777-ESD (slightly modified) a couple of years ago.

The build quality is really nice, the disc drawer and transport are fast and smooth. My XA pales compared to the 707 in this regard.

If you are somewhat handy with a soldering iron, and are brave, there are some mods you can do to greatly improve it. I am talking about things such as upgrading the I/V and output op-amps with at least AD744's, adding pull down current sources or resistors, removing the FDNR filters, bypassing output caps and improving the analogue power supply filter and the decoupling caps. BUT you have to be aware of the pitfalls too, such as minimal antiliasing filtering, and DC offset at the output!

Practically speaking these days I would think that you should be able to scoop up a really nice D/A for a good price since the separate D/A fad has passed somewhat - many Audiophiles are moving over to SACD and DVD technologies.

One to look for is the last Assemblage top of the line model. It was tweaked out and was one of the last well engineered units available at a moderate price.
    I'm sorry to hear that the newer Sony ES machines are not as well built as my 707. The XA777-ESD and XA9000-ESD are the ones I am considering. The DAC I've had my eye on is the Benchmark DAC-1. I tend to lean towards pro/studio equipment (no surprise there! ). I can solder, but I don't really want to get into the innards of my electronics. Do I need to wait for the battle between SACD and DVD audio to be over before I buy a new player?

I also have looked at M-Audio's outboard DAC (Super DAC 2496). For $200 it could be just as good as the Benchmark, but I have no way of knowing. Is anyone familiar with both?

I just thought of something else. Since I havn't bought a surround processor yet, should I just buy one with digital input for my CD player? Bryston makes a nice one that has a DAC built in (I'm sure there are others). If I take this route, will I still be able to listen to music in 2-channel without all the DSP in the processor being active and in the signal?

Quote Originally Posted by stevem
    I'm sorry to hear that the newer Sony ES machines are not as well built as my 707. The XA777-ESD and XA9000-ESD are the ones I am considering. The DAC I've had my eye on is the Benchmark DAC-1. I tend to lean towards pro/studio equipment (no surprise there! ). I can solder, but I don't really want to get into the innards of my electronics. Do I need to wait for the battle between SACD and DVD audio to be over before I buy a new player?
    While it's true that the innards of my XA are not nearly as pretty as my 707, like copper plating, potted transformers, etc., there is a lot inside. Because it is multi-channel there are a bunch of D/A's stuffed in there!

What I was really referring to was the transport. The 707 is simply a lovely mechanism. Audio quality-wise, the XA does have it beat on CD and SACD's play as well as on an SCD-1 IMHO. The only mod I have done to my XA was to bypass the output capacitors i that's all it needed - with a resulting DC offset is only a few mV at the output jacks. My tube preamp is AC coupled, so I don't worry about it.

I justified and bought my XA as primarily a CD spinner. SACD, a great medium to my ears, may only be distant memory in future.

Thread Information