Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: E140 = 2225???

Thank you Sir Lancer.

Somehow KNEW we'd get the solution, ultimately....

Whatever

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    or... sell them on eBay and probably get something closer to $50 ea. and buy blown 2225s for about the same and recone those and have the real deal...

But what I was really mystified by was the desire to seek out franken woofers which is what Earl seems to be talking about.

Widget
    It just hit me... it's like talking to a grown up velociraptor...

I ran across a voice coil part number list that showed the same number for a 2205 as 2215, 145 and on. I've never seen a 2205 does it have a thick head plate or was this a misprint. ( I'm assuming it can only be one or the other) also earlier in this thread it showes E145 and K145 not being interchangable. I realize the ceramic magnet is marginaly stronger) I know this gets done (at least I've been told so) whats the difference and is the K kit still around? Also I've yet to see the 135A listed anywhere I wouldn't care but I own two, I'm going to refoam them and who knows. It's sort of like you took a d130 and tried to make an LE14 out of it (sort of ). Some day would certainly be soon enough. Thank you.

I take it from reading this that if you used D130 or k130 frames as opposed to E
    that you should be able to make a legitamate 2235. 9If it has spent it's life in somwones living room, otherwise it may need remaged) The alnico has 1.2 not 1.3 and as I understand it with the alnico you don't need the ring. Now, since this is so obvious to me, Their's probably something bib as a house that I have missed. So if someone could point out my error while maintaning the attitude that the rest of the country think we all have out here I'd appreciate it. Also in literature you can find LE15A with 1.2 and also with .9 each with the large mag assy and the thick head plate. Did this really happer or do writers consider themselfs artists and as such take licence now and again.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

as I understand it with the alnico you don't need the ring.
    Can I assume you're talking about the mass ring? and if so, why would the magnet
    material itself make any difference in whether or not the ring is needed to achieve
    a specific electro-mechanical spec?

(if not the mass ring, then it's not at all clear to me what you're asking)

-grumpy

Because (and while it seems obvious, I didn't think of it, too many things that are obvious to me are at least in dispute) alnico conducts and acts as a short itself. They didn't start experiencing the problem that they corrected with the ring until they went to ferrite. (if I can remember things like that why don't I know where my pen is?)
    We may not be talking about the same ring because as I use the search funtion I see a chart of rings of different weights. so I was (damn there's more I don't know about these things than I thought there even was to know) I read that there was a flux build up under certain (certain means I don't remember what) that caused a distortion that they hah not had with alnico and this was fixed with a shorting ring. I assumud there was only one ring but if this is actually mass added ti the moving assy then the mag material probably would be irelivent. Damn, I rebuilt my own auto trans in high school (had to having a packand trans worked on cost too much) and I had hardley even worked on a car, but you could get manuals and parts. Not quite the same here.

Ah. Magnetic structure shorting ring. Nothing to do with the mass ring. Nevermind. -grumpy

"[QUOTE=Thom;137267]Because ...... alnico conducts and acts as a short itself.
    They didn't start experiencing the problem that they corrected with the ring until they went to ferrite. .....
    We may not be talking about the same ring because as I use the search funtion I see a chart of rings of different weights. so I was ....
    I read that there was a flux build up under certain ..........that caused a distortion that they hah not had with alnico
    and this was fixed with a shorting ring. I assumud there was only one ring but if this is actually mass added ti
    the moving assy then the mag material probably would be irelivent.}"

I expect that mass-ring reduce HF response and efficiency, but reducing Fs too, extends LF response.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Rob,

Here is the correct expression of the T/L posted here:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...57&postcount=2

Red is stock 2235H, Green = T=1.35*M and updated parameters it effects on the normalised response.
    but adding about 50gr (under the dust cap) to 2235 cone would help in order to reduce
    mid-bass "over efficiency" and would extend ( a few Hz) low-bass in E140 basket with 2235 re-cone kit

2205 cone looks like D140F but with a paper dust cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    I ran across a voice coil part number list that showed the same number for a 2205 as 2215, 145 and on. I've never seen a 2205 does it have a thick head plate or was this a misprint. ( I'm assuming it can only be one or the other) also earlier in this thread it showes E145 and K145 not being interchangable. I realize the ceramic magnet is marginaly stronger) I know this gets done (at least I've been told so) whats the difference and is the K kit still around? Also I've yet to see the 135A listed anywhere I wouldn't care but I own two, I'm going to refoam them and who knows. It's sort of like you took a d130 and tried to make an LE14 out of it (sort of ). Some day would certainly be soon enough. Thank you.
    Both have the cloth surround and Alinco magnets.
    If you can remain calm in a crises, you don't understand the situation!

This is a 5 year old thread?? Bottom line is use the correct kits in the correct frames and be done with it.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Thread Information