Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: E140 = 2225???

Hello Scott

I think about 2 years now??
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    My point should not be mooted by some sophmoric sword-dueling smilies.

WhenEVER something is posted that is opinion we do ourselves and our tribe the duty of posting it as such. Clearly. Too easily things posted here by long-time (or other...) contributors can be mis-construed as JBL-accepted, JBL-endorsed practice.

That is all. Carry on...
    The fact is that the interchangeability is in the JBL Authorized Service Center Manual....and is accepted by the factory....otherwise it wouldn't be in there. Miss Orchid(Giskard) and Lancer obviously have past and somewhat current ties to the factory, and these two gentleman point out the differences of the interchange as well. UNFORTUNATELY....there are Authorized Servicers that haven't bothered to read the manual and find out these details for themselves and figure anything with a 4" voice coil can be shared throughout the JBL family of drivers. There's plenty of good accurate info in this forum for people to peruse that has come from JBL factory documents....Zilch has some very good points about the availability of some of this stuff and what can be accomplished as long as you have good info....and the right pieces. There's an idiot at anywhere and anytime that will tell you what you want to hear....so those that know here will share here....I've seen it....and I've learned, also.

Thanks

BTW Bo...I justed quoted your post cause it was convenient
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606
    What do they look like driven with 1 watt without normalizing them so you can see the difference in sensitivities??
    Well, here they are at 150 Watts:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hello Scott

I think about 2 years now??
    Rob
    They moved to Farmingdale back in the late 80,s maybe early nineties!

For a while, when Dave owned it, and still cared about the buisiness, it was good. But the last few years, Dave would always complain to me all he wanted to do was retire. Finally somebody bought the buisiness from him, and that was that!

It was also the end of the shop altogether!

I called them once last year, I asked about 2240 recones, the guys say he can get them brand new! Really, you dont say? I also mentioned JBL doesnt make the 2240 anymore! he tells O YES THEY DO! Calls me back a day later to tell me, NO They dont, you were right! BUT, he says, I can recone them. Ok, how much? $350.00!!!!! Ouch, WTF? Well, brand new recone kit with TIT-TAHN-YUM dome he tells me! What? TIT-TAHN-YUM dome? What dome, this is a woofer, not a comp driver!

I just hung up the phone!

P.S. Sorry for the thread hi-jack!

:dont-know
    scottyj

"Well, here they are at 150 Watts:"

Thanks Zilch

Without the normalization you can see what's really going on. None of them loose that 30Hz although the E-140 hybrid has the most real loss from 30Hz and up. The 2234 would be heard to loose the most lowend when actually there is a 50Hz and up increase in sensitivity without the mass ring. You can clearly see the predicted change in balance with the E-140 core and a 2235 kit. Damn I guess this software really does work!!!

Rob

Rob,

Here is the correct expression of the T/L posted here:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...57&postcount=2

Red is stock 2235H, Green = T=1.35*M and updated parameters it effects on the normalised response.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hello Toddalin

Can you do a side shot or measure the top plate thickness. Not sure if that's the clincher or not but that certainly could be useful information.

Rob
    No, they are ebay shots. I just don't know if the seller really knows what it is with no foil.

You can clearly see the predicted change in balance with the E-140 core and a 2235 kit. Damn I guess this software really does work!!!

Rob
    Yes, you can see the tilt with the more powerful motor as would be expected. Some people won't care. Other people will. I personally did not like the sound of the hybrid in the 4430. I guess my point is that one can do it right like David intended or one can do it however the hell they feel like doing it.

BTW, using BB6P check out the difference in recommended loading between the stock 2235H and the hybrid.

According to Keele, the stock 2235H should be maximally flat in a 4.5 cu ft volume tuned to 29 Hz. The hybrid should be maximally flat in a 2.5 cu ft volume tuned to 35 Hz.

Crash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    Fact is, 2235H's are becoming harder to come by. Thrashed E140's and 2225's are being replaced with 2226H, and are thus more common. With 2235 recone kits still reasonably priced, it's resonable to consider making 2235H's out of 'em.

You aren't getting it. You can't make a 2235H with an E130 or E140 core. You can't make an E130 or E140 with a 2235H core.

If the E140 hybrid produces more or better midbass than the "real" 2235H (not sayin' it does, yet, mind y'all), then trading off some of the low bass response may be a reasonable compromise.

I'll load a pair of each into 4430's and we can A/B 'em.

I'm going to stick with the knowledge that David knew how to build a better 4430 than you do. I'm also going to stick with the knowledge that JBL knew exactly what they were doing when they added that one eighth extra thickness to the E120, E130 and E140 magnet rather than saving money and using the existing 2202 or 2235 cores.

Crash?

Come over here and let me give you a noogie.

Crash
    My rocket launcher would blow you and you're lance straight to hell bad boy...

Bring it!

Crash
    I'll let that bag of bones you call a horse live long enough to make the trip to the glue factory.

Crash is like only the worst bot in the Arena.
    I guess that's why she's your avatar.

Crash

I use the Crash skin. It's not a reflection of my skilz.

Thread Information