Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The birth of 56 pound twins ! (L112, L166, L212, 4313 and more...)

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    Doh!! That's what I get for multi-tasking! Shoulda stayed in the attic.

Hilarious, actually edgewound. I wondered why you would have posted that (what I saw as 4311). I guessed you knew better, but...

Never mind...
    I was just watchin' yer back, Bo
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by mike
    The 12" 3way bookshelf designs went in this order: L100, L166, L112 and finally the 120Ti. There are audible improvements with each model with the 120Ti being significantly more neutral than its predecessors. Beyond that it is a matter of opinion. Each model seems to have its own following and there is no best or worst.
    Mike
    I was under the impression (wrongly) that the L166 followed the L112. I appreciate the clarification. One could develop quite the collection of nothing but JBL 3-ways!

JBL 12'' Bookshelfs'

Hey Guys
    What about the L90? Shouldn't it be in the mix?
    Michael

The 033 and 066 put the planet on notice that JBL could actually make a fairly decent high frequency direct radiator (~ 1975). The 033 was cheaper to build and had the soft phenolic dome. The 066 was more expensive to build and had the hard aluminum coated phenolic dome. The 033 was used in the L40, L110, and L150. The 066 was used in the L166, L212 and 4313 (considered at the time to be the flatest, most accurate loudspeaker JBL had ever made).

The 034 and 044 came next and used a heavier copper coil to handle more juice and hopefully suffer less power compression (~ 1981). The domes were hard aluminum coated phenolic. Top end response suffered a bit with the copper coil but they were decent enough. The 034 was used in the L15, L46, L56, L86 and 4401. The 044 was used in the new L112 Century II and then in the L96, L150A, L250 and 4411.

Next up was the legendary 044Ti (~ 1985). This is the high frequency direct radiator that defined JBL's future in high frequency transducer design. It spawned the much cheaper to manufacture 035Ti that became the most consistent unit to unit high frequency transducer JBL had ever made. The 044Ti was used in the 18Ti, 120Ti, 240Ti, and 250Ti. The 035Ti was used in pretty much everything else.

Greg Timbers designed most of these systems. Mark Gander designed the L40 (along with the L50 at that time). David Smith used the 128H and 044 out of the L112 to build the 4411. He had a very nice frequency dividing network design and used the slightly more expensive edgewound ribbon voice coiled LE5-9 instead of the round wire voice coiled LE5-12 from the L112. The sound character of the 4411 was quite a bit different from that of the L112.
    Last edited by Miss Orchid; 11-08-2005 at 10:01 AM. Reason: silver LE5-12 black LE5-10

Excuse me Miss Orchid but you speak like a Woman on steriods!

Quote:

It spawned the much cheaper to manufacture 035Ti that became the most consistent unit to unit high frequency transducer JBL had ever made.

Do you mean to say the earlier designs such as the 077 Slot were inconsistent as illuminated by Mr Widget on other threads?...so much for precision engineering.

I find our darling and sexy Mr Widget tells the truth with his Clio mean machine and not all buzz word JBL self talk.

Well if that is the case my kitchen carving set (from the U.K) has been more consistent over the last 15 years and probably better made.

Anyways, I heard all these system with the 035Ti tweeter and just don't care for them, they always sounded tinny and bright compared my AR3A's.

Back to my cooking...rice pudding for dinner....you should try it..!
    Mrs Lansing

LE5-10 in L112?

Miss Orchid
    I think you may have made a typo when getting up a head of steam,and a very good head it was!
    I think it was infact a LE5-12 in the L112 not LE5-10.
    I enjoy your posts
    With veneration
    Michael

Am I the only one offended by Mrs Lansing's post? Let's put a stop to the name calling right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Don C
    Am I the only one offended by Mrs Lansing's post?
    :dont-know

I believe he intended to offend. That's what they call fun down there...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Miss Orchid
    I think you may have made a typo when getting up a head of steam,and a very good head it was!
    I think it was infact a LE5-12 in the L112 not LE5-10.

Yes, I should have taken more time with my post. The only difference between the LE5-10 and LE5-12 is the black face on the LE5-10 versus the silver face on the LE5-12. Thank you for the correction.

Excuse me Miss Chop Sticks but you speak like a Woman on steriods!

Not only am I better looking than you, I also know Kung Fu.

Do you mean to say the earlier designs such as the 077 Slot were inconsistent as illuminated by Mr Widget on other threads?...so much for precision engineering.

Compare them against the products of many other manufacturers at the time and you will see JBL was significantly superior in their precision. Also keep in mind that there was a whole group of people who thought JBL was crazy for manufacturing such expensive, high tolerance transducers.

I find our darling and sexy Mr Widget tells the truth with his Clio mean machine and not all buzz word JBL self talk.

With all due respect, Mr. Widget doesn't have nearly the R & D hours under his belt that say, Drew Daniels, D.B. Keele Jr, Mark Gander, Greg Timbers, etc. have.

Anyways, I heard all these system with the 035Ti tweeter and just don't care for them, they always sounded tinny and bright compared my AR3A's.

Plenty of people don't care for the zing of titanium.

Back to my cooking...rice pudding for dinner....you should try it..Chop Sticks!

Are you inviting me over?

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Orchid

Also keep in mind that there was a whole group of people who thought JBL was crazy for manufacturing such expensive, high tolerance transducers.
    Yes, and they still sounds good compared to many other
    so-called hi-end tweeters

Rolf

Am I the only one offended by Mrs Lansing's post?

I suspect not.

Yes, and they still sounds good compared to many other
    so-called hi-end tweeters

Rolf, I am very happy for you that you were able to get another great pair of JBL's, and 4343's to boot! I was appalled when your 4333's were stolen.

Rolf, I am very happy for you that you were able to get another great pair of JBL's, and 4343's to boot! I was appalled when your 4333's were stolen.
    Thanks for your concern. The only good thing witch came out of this is that I now have a even better sounding system.

Rolf

The 033 and 066 put the planet on notice that JBL could actually make a fairly decent high frequency direct radiator (~ 1975). The 033 was cheaper to build and had the soft phenolic dome. The 066 was more expensive to build and had the hard aluminum coated phenolic dome. The 033 was used in the L40, L110, and L150. The 066 was used in the L166, L212 and 4313 (considered at the time to be the flatest, most accurate loudspeaker JBL had ever made).

The 034 and 044 came next and used a heavier copper coil to handle more juice and hopefully suffer less power compression (~ 1981). The domes were hard aluminum coated phenolic. Top end response suffered a bit with the copper coil but they were decent enough. The 034 was used in the L15, L46, L56, L86 and 4401. The 044 was used in the new L112 Century II and then in the L96, L150A, L250 and 4411.

Next up was the legendary 044Ti (~ 1985). This is the high frequency direct radiator that defined JBL's future in high frequency transducer design. It spawned the much cheaper to manufacture 035Ti that became the most consistent unit to unit high frequency transducer JBL had ever made. The 044Ti was used in the 18Ti, 120Ti, 240Ti, and 250Ti. The 035Ti was used in pretty much everything else.

Greg Timbers designed most of these systems. Mark Gander designed the L40 (along with the L50 at that time). David Smith used the 128H and 044 out of the L112 to build the 4411. He had a very nice frequency dividing network design and used the slightly more expensive edgewound ribbon voice coiled LE5-9 instead of the round wire voice coiled LE5-12 from the L112. The sound character of the 4411 was quite a bit different from that of the L112.
    Very informative post.

Thank you!

Thread Information