Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The birth of 56 pound twins ! (L112, L166, L212, 4313 and more...)

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Orchid
    YRolf, I am very happy for you that you were able to get another great pair of JBL's, and 4343's to boot! I was appalled when your 4333's were stolen.
    All he lacks now, is a pair of 4313B's and the venerable 4345's and he's
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    :dont-know

I believe he intended to offend. That's what they call fun down there...
    He???? did i miss the unveiling or something..... :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by louped garouv
    He???? did i miss the unveiling or something.....
    The clue lies in the avatar...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Who got their veil ripped off?

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    they look so real.... and no visible adam's apple.... bummer, had all these bad thoughts...

Cool

Excuse me Miss Chop Sticks but you speak like a Woman on steriods!

Not only am I better looking than you, I also know Kung Fu.
    Agreed, you are much better looking.

Do you mean to say the earlier designs such as the 077 Slot were inconsistent as illuminated by Mr Widget on other threads?...so much for precision engineering.

Compare them against the products of many other manufacturers at the time and you will see JBL was significantly superior in their precision. Also keep in mind that there was a whole group of people who thought JBL was crazy for manufacturing such expensive, high tolerance transducers.
    Ah, the importance of context, so often lost on the simple-minded and the naive.

I find our darling and sexy Mr Widget tells the truth with his Clio mean machine and not all buzz word JBL self talk.

With all due respect, Mr. Widget doesn't have nearly the R & D hours under his belt that say, Drew Daniels, D.B. Keele Jr, Mark Gander, Greg Timbers, etc. have.

Anyways, I heard all these system with the 035Ti tweeter and just don't care for them, they always sounded tinny and bright compared my AR3A's.

Plenty of people don't care for the zing of titanium.
    Almost anything sounds bright compared to an AR3A, sort of like anyone seems bright compared to an unpopular President or governor. (Except of course, for those who are supporters. ) Better to zing than to whizzle.

Back to my cooking...rice pudding for dinner....you should try it..Chop Sticks!

Are you inviting me over?
    If not, the invitation is always open here, Miss Orchid. My skill with chop sticks is formidable and correct (see below), and I have zing in more than my tweeters.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

Excuse me Miss Orchid but you speak like a Woman on steriods!

Not only am I better looking than you, I also know Kung Fu.
    Well your entilted to your opinion. Yes you must come over for dinner.

As to the other response try and lighten up..it was a joke.

Mrs Lansing

Quote Originally Posted by ironman
    The only pics I have now are the originals from ePay. Most of what you see is dust - not rotted veneer. Even the grille looks
    shabby in the pics - it is about as mint as you can get .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT
    I’d say that looks like a good deal, indeed. Functional speakers discounted for appearance issues only. The mids sound like they belong there. There is no big mystery about removing any of the drivers, unless someone installed them with some form of hardening sealant. That makes things a drag trying to remove the drivers. The reference to the tweeters and care in installing the screws is dealing with the screws that hold the faceplate to the magnet assembly, not those securing the driver to the cabinet.

The domes on the mids can have an effect on the response. Not sure though that you will notice it now, but not sure that you won’t over time. Right now maybe it is just an appearance preference but the domes can be easily replaced by a JBL tech for not a lot cash. Likewise, the new foam surrounds mounted on the face of the woofer. Some object to the real or potential effect on response (not me). Some object to the aesthetic difference (me), some it just does not matter.

A good starting point with these is to rework the cabinet finish and find a way to scrub the grill cloth, maybe repaint the satin black finish or give it a good cleaning. This will get you immediate “improvement”.

The L112s were a special design for the company. The L166 perhaps started the move away from the legacy sound of the L100 but the L110, L112 etc left the L100 behind by a long shot. Good, solid, low-distortion woofer, proven mid design, and a rugged tweeter that sounds good, takes a lot of power, and looks just right on the black baffle. The crossover design allows for great balance with heft at the low end (can be too much unless the boxes are well away from walls and floor), clear open midrange, and highs that are brilliant without being harsh and overbearing. Compared to soft domes of that era, they will seem to some to be too brilliant. Hell, just turn that little tweeter nob thing down, if you need the sound of the big hall/lost highs. The driver layout is mirrored and flexible in terms of horizontal or vertical positioning.

So clean them up, set them up on stands so you look right at the tweeters, pull them out from the front wall if you can, put your self in the middle, and enjoy.

David F

It's a Beautiful Feeling Ain't It?

I just read this post from Ironman, about the day his speakers got delivered to him. I have to say that he has written it in a way that the reader can tell exactly the way he felt that day. And to think I'm going to get to experience the same feeling next week when my 4311's arrive. There's only one difference though. I work night shift and I'll be here all day, on that day to wallow in JBL pleasure. Can't hardly wait!

Quote Originally Posted by soundmotor
    Are these essentially the same speaker?

What are the differences?
    L112 and 4411 are essentially the same. Differnet crossover network mainly due to driver placement and the need to keep the drivers in band as much as possible for a studio monitor. The 4411 has steep 18db/oct 3rd order networks.

L112 and 4411 are essentially the same. Differnet crossover network mainly due to driver placement and the need to keep the drivers in band as much as possible for a studio monitor. The 4411 has steep 18db/oct 3rd order networks.

Which makes them quite a bit different. Posted previously in this thread -

"David Smith used the 128H and 044 out of the L112 to build the 4411. He had a very nice frequency dividing network design and used the slightly more expensive edgewound ribbon voice coiled LE5-9 instead of the round wire voice coiled LE5-12 from the L112. The sound character of the 4411 was quite a bit different from that of the L112."

The L112 shares the same crossover network design with the L96 and L150A. That design is a modified version of the 4313 crossover network design.

jpevrard92

8R 034 in 044

Would it be wrong to fix a 044 KO coil with a 8R 034 JBL repair kit ? Is it physically possible ?
    Thanks for helping.

That repair would not work, Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    I believe the L166 has a 122A woofer, the L112 has a 128H woofer, LE5-9 mid, and 044 tweeter. The L112 is a more accurate speaker system....more refined, complicated crossover network...the Consumer version of the 4411 Studio monitor....shares all the same components.
    I'm thinking "shares all the same components" isnt always the whole story. I love my 4410's . Purchased some L80t's. those 2 systems share all the same components (except cab and network), and I dislike the L80t's. Maybe the L80 is too much box for those compts, dunno, but there is a huge difference.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

ok, sorry, im entering another thread.
    now:
    i own a pair of 441oA and seeing bunches of bunches of monitor-kinda-3way-speakers from jbl...on so many pictures...i got myself confused A LOT.

so thanks miss orchid, and the others, for your posts.
    veneration -me too.

but can someone please tell me where the 441oA is in all this play of the 3way?

(because i got an L112 offer lately...)

i would very much appreaciate your knowledge-
    thanks,

mikey

Thread Information