Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The birth of 56 pound twins ! (L112, L166, L212, 4313 and more...)

The birth of 56 pound twins ! (L112, L166, L212, 4313 and more...)

Well, at 9:30 am Thursday morning I'm getting ready for work, wondering "will this be the day they arrive ?" I'm concerned about them sitting on my porch, unattended, until I get home in the evening. I happen to glance out my kitchen window and spy the brown UPS truck directly across from me at a neighboring business. I think "nah, most likely, if he had something for me, he would of stopped here first" (my location being on the same side of the road as he heads north and all). I'm looking for my car keys, making sure the lights are all off and doing the last minute walk through before I head out to my car when I hear the distinct sound of a garage door closing -but, I don't have a garage door ! I take a quick peek out of my kitchen window . The window frames a solid patch of brown metal ! This has to be it...and I have to get to work ! I go out and great Mr. Brown - he is already heaving a large box off the stack of others. "Careful" I say "they're speakers". The box is big enough for the pair "that's easily a hundred pounds" I warn. Mr.Brown has no problem getting the box up on my porch - I realize it could only be one speaker. He heads back to the truck, not to the cab but back to the rear. EXCELLENT. Out pops #2.

I thank Mr.Brown and he's on his way. I know I have to get them inside before leaving for work - key in the door and, one, two, safe inside my kitchen. Now comes the question that no one but members of this forum could understand...do I unpack them and intentionally be late for work ?????? Hell yeah ! Damn it, I'm a red blooded JBL lover for G_ds sake ! Now comes the fretting...no obvious damage to the boxes. Good. I get a sharp knife from the drawer and very carefully start slicing the first box I can grab across the taped top. "Don't puncture a grille or a cone, keep the blade flush with the box" I tell myself. I'm wondering if this box will be the one that contains the sole grille. I quickly see it's not. I pop it out and give a quick once over. "Man, nowhere near as bad as the pic on ePay" I says to myself. In fact I'm quite pleasantly surprised. Now box 2. Ah, I see the grille. I'm amazed. It is literally mint - badge and all. "Geez, I've got to get to work ! How do I know if they work ? I'd have to disconnect my L-40's, hook these up....ah, go for it !". So I do. I've got the fever. Will my boss understand ? She probably won't.... The seconds it takes my 8080 to get up to speed seems like an hour. I pop in the first CD I see - song #1: Glenn Millers "In The Mood" Nice. Zep and Floyd will have to wait 'til tonight ! I now realize I have to do the responsible thing and speed all the way to work. Visiting hours will not be until 7p.m. tonight ! I walk back out through my kitchen and think "Good L_rd, look at all the afterbirth !" There has to be 5 pounds of it ! Impressions in a day or so...

ps - this is not a commercial for Don Ramon but let me say he understated the condition of these babies,the pics did not do them justice ! He packed them to go to Mars and back safely and they were here from West Coast to East in less than a week ! Don Ramon, youz 'da man !

This would be a great TV commercial for a speaker company!

Glad you got your JBl,s all safe and sound!

scottyj

I musta missed this...

Can you post some pics, a-new...?
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

L-112's ePay

The only pics I have now are the originals from ePay. Most of what you see is dust - not rotted veneer. Even the grille looks
    shabby in the pics - it is about as mint as you can get .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

L-112's

OOOOoppps ... picked the wrong "smillie". Was suppossed to be a plain big smile - like this !

Cool...

Looks like someone might have done some work on them, sometime.

That does not look like the factory MF (LE5-12) to me. Looks like either a recone to, or an authentic LE5-2...?

Anyone got a clue?

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/specs/home-speakers/1980-l112.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

I'd suggest you remove those MF's and read their behinds for confirmation.

Then, make sure no mods have been made to the internal cabinet wiring, or other. Use this tech sheet for reference...

Attached Images Attached Images
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

hhhmmmmm.....

Well, that is interesting. If I do remove the mids is there anything I should know ? I thought I read on a previous thread something about removing 033's and then having to put them back in, retightening the screws while taking some typeof meter reading. I have no such equiptment and no clue.
    Any help here ?

ps - I just realized that when I adjusted the freq. pots on these that straight up (12 O'clock) isn't the flat position !
    Had them all in the minus - who would have thought ?
    I did think these had some "imaging" issues until I discovered this (by turning on another room lamp). My first thoughts were that my L-40's, AR 2ax's and KLH 6's did a
    better job (imaging). As I mentioned on another thread The Pink Floyd "One Of These Days" bass drum was always dead center on these other models. I still haven't had the time to play with them much.
    Any thoughts on the imaging ? Thanks,

Le5-12 M/F

Hey Bo
    Does it look like it could be that some one has pushed the dome in?
    Michael

That dome has been pushed in. And the 128 has the surround on the front of the cone
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smith
    Hey Bo
    Does it look like it could be that some one has pushed the dome in?
    Michael
    Well, it sure could be - that's why I asked for other's ideas. The picture is not clear enough - and the frame doesn't look right for an LE5-2. Guess they need some refurbishing, or replacing...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound
    That dome has been pushed in. And the 128 has the surround on the front of the cone
    I wondered that too - or the cone has been trimmed back and more of the surround is visible.

Hey, ironman, can you post some better pics of the MF and WF so we can see what's up...?
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by ironman
    Well, that is interesting. If I do remove the mids is there anything I should know ? I thought I read on a previous thread something about removing 033's and then having to put them back in, retightening the screws while taking some typeof meter reading. I have no such equiptment and no clue.
    Hey, ironman...

First, we share your likely disappointment these aren't pristine, but we get real linear when we see damage / non-factory spec'd repairs and switch into "help" mode. We can help you restore these.

WRT the quote, there is nothing you need to know - only need a Phillips head screwdriver.

Lay the cabinet on it's back, remove the LF screws and tell us what the back of the MF sez (likely LE5-12), with the domes pushed in like Michael and edgewound suggest. For your purposes, these will require replacing.

But do post some pics so us'n here can opine about what else to do.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Looks like the correct LE5-12s, but with the domes pushed in.

LE5-12

Hi Ya'll,

Well, I did it. Just one - used a paint scraper to get it out. Sez LE5-12 toward the top and 0350 toward the bottom. On the back of the cone in what looks like white paint it sez 57077 and maybe a J ? Sort of smudged.The dust cap area is inverted and smooth, virtually the same shape (slope) as the rest of the cone. Minor dimple or lines. I get VERY nervous with screw drivers around these things - should I pop out the other ? It looks identical. Should the centers of these be popped out the other way ? I know my L-40's have the inverted (innies) caps on the woofers. Since these do have a tad of a crinkle does that indicate a pushed in cap ? Sorry about "no pics". Kodak decided not to introduce XP compatible drivers for my Kodak digital. Wasn't that FREAKIN' jolly of them ? I upgraded to XP a few years back only to find half my other gadgets are incompatible ! With 2 youngin's (one just started college, one in High School,support, visitation etc.) and with this expensive "hobby" (I've been guilt ridden all week) I won't be buying another camera soon !
    More info. then you probably needed but I'm figuring you must be wondering "what's up with that ?" (no pictures etc.) So....

Thread Information