Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: L100T vs L100T3

L100T vs L100T3

Picked up a pair of L100T speakers from Big Yank ( thanks a million! ) and I was wondering if anyone knew what the difference was supposed to be between the T and the T3.

Both systems use the 104H-2 midrange. The T crosses the mid to the HF a bit lower and the woofer to mid is a bit higher. The Woofer and tweeter have slightly different part numbers. So my question is are the 2214h-1 and 2214H woofers so different?

Are the 035Ti and 035Tia tweeters different animals as well?

Why did JBL make these changes to the L100T series?

The L100t3 sounds better.

035Ti and 035TiA are functionally equivalent.

2214H and 2214H-1 are functionally equivalent.

If the drivers are the same then the crossover network holds the key?

I doubt that very much but it is easy enough to try. Sounding better is object though, someone always likes the other version better.

New Coke was so well received in Japan that they don't sell Coca-cola classic there.

RIP 2009
    I thought I also heard something that the T3 cabinets were more solid than the original T versions...

John

If the drivers are the same then the crossover network holds the key?

That is correct.

We did direct comparisons of the L100T and L100t3 in several environments and the conclusions were unanimous.

L100t vrs L100t3

Afternoon
    When the model change happened the "JBL speak' was that 'We have REVOICED THEM by changing the X/over points"
    If you AB you will find that the T3 has much better mid range,more foward than 100T.
    I'm must be getting old that's nearly 20 years ago,think I better have a nap
    Regards
    Michael

This is interesting.
    If the difference between the L100T and the L100T3 is related to the crossover points, I will use my crossover substitution box to A-B test the two networks side by side and see how it goes.

It may be unanimous after all. Have any forum members so modified their L100T into L100T3 by changing the crossover points? This should be a fairly inexpensive modification to do.

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec
    I thought I also heard something that the T3 cabinets were more solid than the original T versions...

John
    Outside of thicker material, did they add additional bracing material and if so where was it added?

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by duaneage
    Outside of thicker material, did they add additional bracing material and if so where was it added?
    That I couldn't tell you - I own neither. But I'm sure I read a thread here some time ago that did mention the T3 cabinet was better. A diligent search may turn it up...

John

L100T vrs L100T3

I've had my nap and I feel better now.
    When the L100T came out,Sidney had invested a shit load of bugs bunny on a new german wood working machine and in conjuction with a newly discovered veneer called from memory Endriana was able to make a box using only two pieces of timber as the veneer was easy to work with.
    I think the five planes were in one piece and the front was then put on/in.
    This was going to save $$$$$ and it did compared to the previous range.
    I have over the years added braces to L110T boxes with a good result,also changed the caps in the X/over in the 80s' using 250v Metallised Polypropylenes', they worked a treat.
    I cannot remember the inners of L100T3 maybe some one has both and can check.
    Michael

Despite some comments I read a while back about this series that disparaged them I am impressed with the wood grain matchup. I was planning to make a pair of these having gathered the drivers and I was debating the crossovers when an opportunity came to buy these. I was impressed enough with the woodwork to ditch the homebrew plans. I don't think I could do as good a job myself with thin veneer as these.

I plan to sweep the speakers with signal generators as part of my croissover experiment and if I find a resonance I don't like I will brace or damp it out.

I'll update everyone on what comes of it.

Talking L100-versus L100t3

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Orchid

The L100t3 sounds better.

035Ti and 035TiA are functionally equivalent.

2214H and 2214H-1 are functionally equivalent.
    i would have to agree on Miss Orchids thoughts i own a pair of L100ts and a pair of L80t3s the L100s play louder 91db rating versus 90db for the L80t3s but i like the sound of the L80t3s much better more musical and better sounding bass in my opinion not as deep as bass as the L100ts but richer more musical to my ears a little faster response also in the L80t3s that could be because the L80 t3s use a 10 inch woofer versus a 12 inch though i think it is due to a better crossover in the L80t3s rather than the cabinents the L100t3s use a slightly smaller cabinent than the L100ts also around 20 lbs difference there same with the L80ts and L80t3s i have listened to both the L80ts and my L80t3s and the L80t3s win hands down so in mho i think a crossover change might make a world of difference either way L100ts are very nice speakers noyhing to turn your nose down at considered by many as the refernce rock and roll speaker that others are measured by certainly at the price anyways CONGRATS on the nice score from BIG YANK they will only go up in value from here jim3860

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jim3860
    i would have to agree on Miss Orchids thoughts ...... CONGRATS on the nice score from BIG YANK they will only go up in value from here jim3860
    jim that has to be the hardest to read paragraph i've ever had the exasperation of reading on the internet don't you ever use capitalization or punctuation so people can read your messages as coherent thoughts instead of just a stream that rambles on and on until you just give up trying to read it

Seriously! Many people won't go farther than the first few words with something like that. I'm not going to go back and try to figure out what you said, and I think you'll lose the attention of other readers too. Punctuation isn't that hard...

John

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec
    jim that has to be the hardest to read paragraph i've ever had the exasperation of reading on the internet don't you ever use capitalization or punctuation so people can read your messages as coherent thoughts instead of just a stream that rambles on and on until you just give up trying to read it

Seriously! Many people won't go farther than the first few words with something like that. I'm not going to go back and try to figure out what you said, and I think you'll lose the attention of other readers too. Punctuation isn't that hard...

John
    my apolgies john, for the badly written incoherent ramblings. i will try to use some punctuation marks etc, in future posts. i'm not sure where to put the things you mentioned, exactly. i never made it past the 4th grade in school. but i will attempt to do better THANKS for bringing this shortcoming to my attention

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jim3860
    i never made it past the 4th grade in school. but i will attempt to do better THANKS for bringing this shortcoming to my attention
    OK - one last lesson. Sentences, (and the letter I, when used personally), usually begin with capital letters.

'Just trying to help out...

John

Thread Information