Thread: "Old" Recording

"Old" Recording

Hello all.

For some years ago I had a record (Vinyl) with Virgil Fox playing Bach's Toccata & Fuge.

This was a audiphile record sounding very good. I do not remember the label.

Does anybody know if this is available on CD?

Rolf

I believe the record you are thinking of is The Fox Touch, Volume 1 on Crystal Clear Records. It is a direct to disc recording; the lacquer was mastered on site by Stan Ricker. I have volumes 1 and 2 and they are among the most real sounding recordings I own.

Doing a quick Google I found this link. The recordings have apparently been issued on CD by Teldec and Laser Light, from the digital recordings made simultaneously with the direct to discs.

http://www.jsbach.org/foxvirgilfoxthefoxtouchvol12.html

There was another one engineered by Bert Whyte (who also wrote a column in Audio) that was touted to be the first digital recording made in the U.S. using the Soundstream recording system. I think it was called "The Digital Fox" and it was on vinyl and if memory serves it was a Crystal Clear as well.

I have a copy at home and can check for more info if you'd like. I don't know if it was available on a CD when they were finally introduced. I could maybe be persuaded to burn a CD copy......Let me know.

A great workout for SUB-1500's!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell
    I believe the record you are thinking of is The Fox Touch, Volume 1 on Crystal Clear Records. It is a direct to disc recording; the lacquer was mastered on site by Stan Ricker. I have volumes 1 and 2 and they are among the most real sounding recordings I own.

Doing a quick Google I found this link. The recordings have apparently been issued on CD by Teldec and Laser Light, from the digital recordings made simultaneously with the direct to discs.

http://www.jsbach.org/foxvirgilfoxthefoxtouchvol12.html
    Hi Steve. Yes, you are right, this is what I am looking for. I will search for Teldec to find out if I can order them. THANKS.

Rolf

Quote Originally Posted by Chas
    There was another one engineered by Bert Whyte (who also wrote a column in Audio) that was touted to be the first digital recording made in the U.S. using the Soundstream recording system. I think it was called "The Digital Fox" and it was on vinyl and if memory serves it was a Crystal Clear as well.

I have a copy at home and can check for more info if you'd like. I don't know if it was available on a CD when they were finally introduced. I could maybe be persuaded to burn a CD copy......Let me know.

A great workout for SUB-1500's!!
    Hi Chas. I only had one of the records witch you and Steve talking about, do not know witch. If possible I will get all 3. Regarding the burning, I almost never use burned CD's, as I have never heard a good result. In my car, yes, but not at home. Unless you have a way to make a copy that is as good as the original, I do not think it is a good idea. Tell me more....

Rolf

use a progrm called cool edit
    ive had stunning results with that on vinal
    takes a while to get used to but works a treat on records or cd

morbo!
    http://www.medpot.net/forums/

daily volcano demo`s
    find out the truth
    tell`em morbo sent you

mention lansing heritage for 10% off

Quote Originally Posted by morbo!
    use a progrm called cool edit
    ive had stunning results with that on vinal
    takes a while to get used to but works a treat on records or cd

morbo!
    Hi morbo.

Where can I get it??

Rolf

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf
    Hi Chas. I only had one of the records witch you and Steve talking about, do not know witch. If possible I will get all 3. Regarding the burning, I almost never use burned CD's, as I have never heard a good result. In my car, yes, but not at home. Unless you have a way to make a copy that is as good as the original, I do not think it is a good idea. Tell me more....

Rolf
    Well, I don't use a computer for recording. I use a Sony pro CD recorder (it even has super bit mapping!) that combined with a Linn/Lingo/Ekos/Linto/Benz works pretty well for me....Admittedly, it's kind of weird to take a digitally recorded record and copy it on to CD, though!!

At least, I can find out who released it and the album catalogue number for you. I'll check it out and get back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chas
    Well, I don't use a computer for recording. I use a Sony pro CD recorder (it even has super bit mapping!) that combined with a Linn/Lingo/Ekos/Linto/Benz works pretty well for me....Admittedly, it's kind of weird to take a digitally recorded record and copy it on to CD, though!!

At least, I can find out who released it and the album catalogue number for you. I'll check it out and get back to you.
    OK, seems like you have a good thing for making copyes. Anyway, I have been looking into it, and it seems like the recordings is only availble on vinyl. I was hoping there had been made a digital recording at the same time, such as the Sheffield Lab did.

Rolf

Hi Rolf, it turns out I have two LP's. First is VIRGIL FOX - THE FOX TOUCH on Crystal Clear direct to disc number CCS-7001.

The other is THE DIGITAL FOX on Ultragroove UG-9001.

Both have Toccata and Fugue.

I haven't seen either on CD.
    Cheers.

Virgil Fox organ CD vol 1

I used this LP (vol 1) for many years to demonstrate my B380 sub-woofer. I can't recall any other LP where you get sustained notes of extreme bass. The Sheffield Lab Direct Cuts come close, but the notes are not held for several seconds.

Its fun to see the house moving when you can't hear the notes. As a bonus, its nice music to listen too at any volume.

I too would love a copy on CD. I prefer CDs for this purpose because I don't have to worry about feedback possibly damaging the source.

My Bach CDs of the same composition recorded on other organs sound weak and under-powered.

Perhaps someone could list CDs which are suitable for testing the extremes of JBL speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Andrew
    I used this LP (vol 1) for many years to demonstrate my B380 sub-woofer. I can't recall any other LP where you get sustained notes of extreme bass. The Sheffield Lab Direct Cuts come close, but the notes are not held for several seconds.

Its fun to see the house moving when you can't hear the notes. As a bonus, its nice music to listen too at any volume.

I too would love a copy on CD. I prefer CDs for this purpose because I don't have to worry about feedback possibly damaging the source.

My Bach CDs of the same composition recorded on other organs sound weak and under-powered.

Perhaps someone could list CDs which are suitable for testing the extremes of JBL speakers.

I played the digital version recently and it literally felt like you were inside a woofer vent, your pants flap at very low frequencies! I am going to see if I can transcribe them on to CD and retain that sensation. Rolf, check your PM's.

Another good one is Genesis "The Lamb Lies Down", the Classic reissue on vinyl that I have has some deep stuff, although it's nowhere near as deep as the Virgil Fox.

As well, the Telarc CD's by Don Dorsey: Bach and Beethoven are pretty good for exercising woofers too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Andrew
    to test for any short commings in a system i like to use mike bubble(the spider man theme and feelin good) then a female artist of my choice(usually annie lennox)
    also van morrison(and it stoned me ) to check for soundstage

morbo!

daily volcano demo`s
    find out the truth
    tell`em morbo sent you

I forgot to mention scsi hard drives are better than ide to record on!
    not sure about the sata i think they run at 10000rpm wich would be better than ide but not quite a scsi hdd

daily volcano demo`s
    find out the truth
    tell`em morbo sent you

Thread Information