Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JBL 4430 / SA 4534

JBL 4430 / SA 4534

Does anybody know/heared (of) the SA 4534. I guess it's a reproduction of the 4430 but I don't know if it sounds the same. Maybe some of you can tell the difference.

I can buy the SA 3210 networks which were used in these speakers from someone nearby for my DIY 4430's....Would that be worth trying??

http://www.stage-accompany.com/downl...age/Sa4534.pdf

Huh! Very interesting. Haven't seen those

If the price is reasonable try it.
    You can draw the schematic for us and we'll tell you if it's close to the 3134 design.

FWIW;

- It's just about always cheaper to build your own crossovers / even after including better parts .

- Before committing to buy , ask to see the insides of one of the crossovers .

- These SA crossovers might be loaded with "inferior-sounding" electrolytic and/or mylar capacitors . Also, look to see if the inductors are air-core types. The inductors may also be cored with high-grade transformer-laminates / in which case ; you'll need to solicit some hands'-on opinions about this types' sonic performance .

- The included parts may be just fine / But you won't know if you don't research the purchase a bit more .

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman
    Would that be worth trying??
    Yes, of course.

Send 'em over to me when you're done....

Try and get a schematic. If you read their brochures they have a couple of woofer options. You should have tailored crossovers as the top ends and sensitivity on the drivers are a bit different. If they use a generic I would compare it to the 4430 schematic before you buy.

Rob

Since I have a pair of E-140's with 2235 cones the multiple woofer options for these SA crossovers might just turn out allright.

I'm still searching for these schematics. I don't think they're published on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman
    Since I have a pair of E-140's with 2235 cones the multiple woofer options for these SA crossovers might just turn out allright.
    I believe your E140's reconed to 2235H's will be indistinguishable from the real thing. Unless you're thinking of actually using one of the other drivers, I would not consider that a major factor.

Also, as Rob points out, without the schematic or a more complete description of the crossover, we don't know if there are actually different "options" for those.

I'd say poppin' E140, E145, or 2225/6H in a 4430 would be a major alteration converting them to something more appropriate for SR use, perhaps. 2235H's extended bass is an essential component of the 4430 design's sonic character.

Also, you haven't told us the cost yet. If they're under $300 for the pair, it's probably a worthwhile investment in any case....

They look like a generic system used previously in local venue(the front bar of my local pub.)

Jands made an identical system down here.

I can get these crossovers for about 150 USD (125 euro) a pair.

http://audiovideo.2dehands.be/listus...84510-s-a.html

Found this SA file but I don't think it'll help:

http://www.stage-accompany.com/downl...age/SAX60a.pdf

They look right. Buy 'em....

Crash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    I believe your E140's reconed to 2235H's will be indistinguishable from the real thing.

That would mean JBL should have used a 2225/2235 core to build an E130 or E140 and such wasn't the case. The 2235 cone kit in an E130 or E140 basket results in a hybrid with a tilted response, not as much area under the curve on the bottom end and more area under the curve on the top end. Retune the enclosure and change the passive or active filter accordingly.

I'd say poppin' E140, E145, or 2225/6H in a 4430 would be a major alteration converting them to something more appropriate for SR use, perhaps. 2235H's extended bass is an essential component of the 4430 design's sonic character.

You're correct, so don't use a more powerful magnet, such as an E130 or E140 magnet, and skew the balance of the driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash
    You're correct, so don't use a more powerful magnet, such as an E130 or E140 magnet, and skew the balance of the driver.
    A pair of E140's and a pair of 2225's are at the reconer guy right now.

Gonna run 'em on NL200t3 in retuned 5 cuft. 2507 boxes (4 easy tuning options closing off ports) and report the results.

It's WAY fun confirming this stuff....

Crash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    A pair of E140's and a pair of 2225's are at the reconer guy right now.

Gonna run 'em on NL200t3 in retuned 5 cuft. 2507 boxes (4 easy tuning options closing off ports) and report the results.

It's WAY fun confirming this stuff....

What is it you are confirming?

Quote Originally Posted by Crash
    What is it you are confirming?
    Differences in actual LF driver performance. In particular, the E140/2235H recone.

2235H recone kits are now $156 list.

Maybe I throw in stock E145, LE15A and B just for kicks.

I have NO clue why folks are paying big bucks for LE15B.

Must be some rock star's "secret" or somethin'....

2226's for 4430's

Gee ...... am I missing something here, I always thought then next best thing to a 4430 was 1 using the 2226H drivers instead of the 2235H, I made several of these and they rocked!! I constructed my own 4430 xover with air core rather than ferrite core which looking back was probably not a smart thing to do because of the size of the inductors and the DC resistance even though I used heavy gauge enamelled copper wire (gee maybe the loss because of the dc resistance was made up for in the 4db sensitivity difference between the drivers) The reason I didn't use ferrite at the time was because I needed a current probe for my cro to see if I was saturating the ferite core which then meant experimenting with different size ferrite formers and it all became too hard so I had them wound for me by another local loudspeaker manufacturer as air core ...... but I thought it amusing that when I discused my thought about using ferrite and not being able to see the saturation point of the core without a current probe they looked at me all silly like ..... didn't understand.... and didn't know what a current probe was, this now has me thinking how they managed to sell their own stuff throught the world as "top end" ..... must have a good marketing machine I supose, because their lack of knowledge in this area didn't impress me.

Thread Information