Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: SR pros on this forum

?

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    Hey, Shane...

Looking at them cab's, when/if you get one on ground level for any period of time, you should collect some time-alignment measurements. Since you're running them bi-amped, you have a chance to improve the coherence, if needed.
    How would I do that

I think...

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    Interesting. Same system in slightly different cabs for different purposes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-VS3115-SR473...QQcmdZViewItem

VS3115 (left) and SR4735X:

the vs3115 is on the right

Tuning calls for something like 416ms delay on the woofer in biamp mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    Hey, Shane...

Looking at them cab's, when/if you get one on ground level for any period of time, you should collect some time-alignment measurements. Since you're running them bi-amped, you have a chance to improve the coherence, if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL
    How would I do that
    Hmm...

No access to SmaartLIVE? In that case, Mike seems to know something quite specific:
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebake
    Input that into the woof's sends (outputs). Might tighten things-up a bit.

From here, under "Venue Series": http://www.jblpro.com/pages/tunings/tunings_main.htm
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

What I did do

Quote Originally Posted by mikebake
    Is use the recomended cross/slope from that page but I did not look at the top, only the bottom of that page. OOOOPS!
    I do understand that as the mid is a-bit deeper in the box than the woofer.
    Another good call

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL
    Is use the recomended cross/slope from that page but I did not look at the top, only the bottom of that page. OOOOPS!
    I do understand that as the mid is a-bit deeper in the box than the woofer.
    Another good call
    It's that, but there is also delay imparted by the passive xover that this should address, in-part. JBL is great, as are many manufacturers, to offer setting advice on how to vastly improve the performance of their products now that loudspeaker controllers/processers are being widely offered/adopted.

dbx Driverack, and like-products of other makers, are AMAZINGLY powerful controllers. The makers realize that offering these products is a double-edged sword - there are highly variable levels of knowledge of end-users, and not all will do the necessary homework or set-up.

Ironically, from what I understand, this is akin to JBL's internal discussions about the large-format Studio Monitors (4343, 4345, 4350, and 4355 series) at the time, wherein JBL worried the complexity involved in proper acoustical set-up would/could result in too many being poorly implemented and result in end-user disatisfaction. They ultimately shied away from the offering...

I set my 4345's up very deliberately, and boy-howdy they are unequalled. If you ever get a chance...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Bo"s Quote

"
    dbx Driverack, and like-products of other makers, are AMAZINGLY powerful controllers. The makers realize that offering these products is a double-edged sword - there are highly variable levels of knowledge of end-users, and not all will do the necessary homework or set-up.

Ironically, from what I understand, this is akin to JBL's internal discussions about the large-format Studio Monitors (4343, 4345, 4350, and 4355 series) at the time, wherein JBL worried the complexity involved in proper acoustical set-up would/could result in too many being poorly implemented and result in end-user disatisfaction. They ultimately shied away from the offering...
    "

And now all that matters are PROFITS-Harmon shareholders bottom line!

I look at it as "Children Running With Scissors"

Oldmics

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmics
    Bingo.

You do have quite a way with words...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Auto-fuckitup...

OK, we got me there.

I loath the "Auto" function on these processors. I think I can understand the reason for designing them-in (read: MARKETING), but they are simply wrong, IMO.

I'm with you, Oldmics, all the way...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

On stage monitors

When eq'ing stage monitors is it best to put the mic at approx the same place as the person using it would be?

Yea, but things aren't quite "equal" since there's no waterbags (artists) on stage.

Let 'em RING!!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmics
    Around the Swimming Pool...

Oh, and Shane...

Don't be afraid to turn the mics around, toward the wedges. Aggravates the excitement...

We haven't talked about the wedges - what are they?

You should shelve / roll-off the LF below the useful range of the monitor (typically 75-80Hz) and likewise at the high-end (typically 16kHz). If there aren't (adjustable) Hi-pass / Lo-Pass filters on your monitor EQ, just do it with the faders.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Hello
    I may be late to the party but would it be possiable to do a left - center - right configuration in your system. That way the vocals could primarly in the center cluster with music mix to the left and right with some in the center and vise versa with the vocals. That would also give you an easy way to control the levels to each zone. The center could be ran higher for the longer thow and the sides lower if need be. That would require more processing. Or.....keep the system mono but have a center zone and the sides together on a separte zone that would still give you the level control between center and sides and you could still do it with the one DBX 260 that you have.
    You mentioned back a ways that some of the amps were run mono is that bridged mono...if so be sure to use the red+ connectors for the outputs and not the red and black of each channel doing that will put the cabinets out of phase/polarity with each other.

Just some ideas
    Mike Caldwell

Hello
    Here's another thing to look at, are the recessed areas behind the screens/grill cloth boxed in such as a floor, sides and top forming a box that the speakers are hung in. If so when the speakers are pulled back and splayed they most likely will be hitting some of the sides and the bottom of the recessed area and the sound will be reflecting out of it in any direction. In this it would even be worse if the cabinets are upside down with the horns aimed into the bottom of the box. Let us know whats behind the curtain as far as building construction goes.
    I know of an install that has just a center cluster that is in a reccesed "box" behind a scrim and if did make the coveage in the room very unperdictable.

Mike Caldwell

Thread Information