Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: SR pros on this forum

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    - Then I'd suggest leaving things sit for a while ( just not 3 1/2 years ) .

>< cheers
    Always fun learning more.......

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL View Post
    Thanks Earl for the info.
    Maybe they would have some instock at Listenup here in Denver so I could take a listen.
    Maybe some other forum members have heard or know something more about these as well.
    hey juniorjbl,

fascinating thread! I've been reading along with interest for pages and pages until i get to the last page and here find out you are here in Denver! me too! heh.

anyway I work for HP Marketing, the local manufacturer's rep for JBL here in Centennial, and used to work with Norm over at ListenUp. I kind of doubt that ListenUp would have any of the AE series in stock to demo. Most people are bringing these in on an as-needed basis for installation.

Of course as the manufacturer's rep we are often required to buy samples of new product, so we do have an AC15 and an AC28/26 in our warehouse stock as demo units. I don't know if you would be interested in a demo, but if you are fairly centrally located here in Denver I'm sure we could work something out. Give me a call anytime [during work hours heh] - 303-804-9566 and we can work something out.

Thanks Ethan!!

I am in Lakewood. I may be able to have that happen.
    Norm has not been stocking to much these days but usually does a good job of getting me what I need in a timely manner.
    I will give you a call sometime next week.
    Shane

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL View Post
    Thanks Ethan!!

I am in Lakewood. I may be able to have that happen.
    Norm has not been stocking to much these days but usually does a good job of getting me what I need in a timely manner.
    I will give you a call sometime next week.
    Shane
    Sounds good. As to the question of what these sound like, of course I'm going to say they sound great.

Funny story though, we had a customer try to install some of these AE compacts into a gentlemen's club down in AZ...they were expecting these to rock hard! With the rocking, and the booty shaking and the.......uhhhh, yeah, not so much. They probably would have been better off with Control 29s or 30s...ah well...

They are great as fills though, especially if you have some other speakers in the mix to fill out that bottom end. I'm still trying to suss out from the pictures where the best place to put them would be though...:dont-know

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Masterson View Post
    Funny story though, we had a customer try to install some of these AE compacts into a gentlemen's club down in AZ...they were expecting these to rock hard! With the rocking, and the booty shaking and the.......uhhhh, yeah, not so much.
    Pole dancin'?

Nother Question.

Is rear fill a bad thing? Wondering if it is possible to put small speakers in the rear for mf/hf fill as I would do in the front?

Is rear fill a bad thing? Wondering if it is possible to put small speakers in the rear for mf/hf fill as I would do in the front?
    (i) Speakers should be arranged to reinforce the original sound wave(s) /not fight it .
    (ii) Speakers are way more effective when peoples ears are aimed towards them.

>< cheers

Thanks for your reply Earl!!This is as I figured, So maybe I should try to aim the 3115's more toward the back and then look to try to cover the first 6-8 rows? I am probably stretching here!!

228h

"8-inch Symmetrical Field Geometry LF transducer with a copper-clad aluminum edge wound aluminum voice coil and copper-clad pole piece that improves performance by reducing voice coil inductance and distortion."

Crossed at 2.1 kHz in AC18/95:

http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/suppor...e=3&docid=1080

Heavier'n 'bout anything.

Suspension's tight, but not as tight as 2118H.

"Camera angle, right?"

Nope, magnet's really this big:
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Looks as tho this driver my be made for JBL instead of by them.

That is one big mag!!

HaHa

- I should have guessed Zilch would buy a sample .

- The frame looks quite flimsy for the size of magnet ( is it, Zilch ? ).

- Regardless, any driver that's dedicated to the install market shouldn't really have an issue with frame strength once the speaker is physically placed . .

- OTOH, a flimsy frame would be an issue for my usage ( I service a market where portablity demands a lot of ruggedness ) . Too bad ( for me ), since the specs. for this transducer (as well as the pricing ) are both spot-on .

>< cheers

It does have a very "import OEM" look to it.

The frame looks quite flimsy for the size of magnet ( is it, Zilch ? )
    Remember that the driver is small overall. We're not talking 2235H here. I'll put a mic on it and determine the gauge.

In any case, I THINK I'll be using all eight mounting holes with this one. I have all of the parts to build up a pair of AC18/95, and I'm tempted to order a pair of 226H, as well, for AC16 clones.

OTOH, a flimsy frame would be an issue for my usage ( I service a market where portablity demands a lot of ruggedness ) . Too bad ( for me ), since the specs. for this transducer (as well as the pricing ) are both spot-on .
    Seems like supporting the magnet would not be difficult, but neo would certainly be nicer for portables.

Are there comprehensive specs available somewhere?

The AC15 tweeter is cute, BTW.

[Extra credit for figuring out what the two extra holes are for.... ]
    Attached Images Attached Images   

0.054" = 17 Ga.

[Micrometer now magnetized.... ]

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post

[Extra credit for figuring out what the two extra holes are for.... ]

A ported tweeter!

Thread Information