Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: your comments about other brands versus jbl

Question your comments about other brands versus jbl

Hi everybody,we are all fanatics of jbl and believe that they are the best speakers ever made since,but what about other brands?While reading a french mag 'la revue du son' this afternoon brought me through reviews concerning other brands such as THIEL,B&W NAUTILUS,KLIPSCH,JM LAB with beryllium highs etc...,all of them acclaimed to be the finest speakers on the market!!! Not being personally a convinced audiophile and not having the opportunity to listen to theese 5 to 8000 bucks speakers,makes me wonder if they are right or wrong.Can i have the impressions and comments of those(lucky?)guys who have ever experienced theese speakers compared of course to jbl's.Grab your keyboards guys and thanks for participating to that thread.

I don't know what the best speakers in the world are, but I do know that it's not Klipsch.

Other speakers...

I have always loved my JBL's but I also love my B&W signature 800's.
    They all produce a different listening enviroment and it is fun to have the variety.
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...achmentid=7456

Smile Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Don C
    I don't know what the best speakers in the world are, but I do know that it's not Klipsch.
    Amen to that!

Yet, if you want some loud music...
    Out.

Smile Within Harman

One of JBL's Harman International stablemates, Revel, makes wonderful speakers. The Revel Ultima Salon coupled with the Revel Sub30 is a fantastic louspeaker. I'd take it before I'd take over-hyped Wilsons (which are awesome BTW).
    Out.

Revel

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    One of JBL's Harman International stablemates, Revel, makes wonderful speakers. The Revel Ultima Salon coupled with the Revel Sub30 is a fantastic louspeaker. I'd take it before I'd take over-hyped Wilsons (which are awesome BTW).

Those are a very fine speaker as well!!

Yup!

Quote Originally Posted by takenodisk
    Hi everybody,we are all fanatics of jbl and believe that they are the best speakers ever made since,but what about other brands?While reading a french mag 'la revue du son' this afternoon brought me through reviews concerning other brands such as THIEL,B&W NAUTILUS,KLIPSCH,JM LAB with beryllium highs etc...,all of them acclaimed to be the finest speakers on the market!!! Not being personally a convinced audiophile and not having the opportunity to listen to theese 5 to 8000 bucks speakers,makes me wonder if they are right or wrong.Can i have the impressions and comments of those(lucky?)guys who have ever experienced theese speakers compared of course to jbl's.Grab your keyboards guys and thanks for participating to that thread.
    Most of the current K series JBLs are way over the above price points!
    The 4343 was listed at A$5000 in 1976, I wonder what the adjusted price would be today.

But perhaps the point is a JBL user is so satisfied as a rule he ...she does not have to bother listening to other brands in dealers stores and it becomes a life long brand loyatly thing. That's the conviction worthy of the slogan.

If the other brands rely on customes brand switching for majority of their sales then they all have a problem at that price point. I also doubt if the new customer sales would sustain the business case at that price point.

dali 8

i luv boath brands i havent heard the new dali`s but my stepfather has a set of dali 8 speakers from the early 90`s late 80 350w rms if u ever get a chance to listen to these im sure you wont be dissapointed

I really, really, do like the design and execution of these JMLab models. I could almost buy these speakers unheard, unplugged, and quiet as the breeze, and still enjoy them. If I did not like the sound, which given Mr. Mahul’s reputation is not too likely, I would place these in room with the some JBL’s doing the work and the Profile just standing there.

Other than that, it is difficult to settle on one model that fits all needs. Each high brand brings with it a cache unique to the company or designer. Klipsch has the long legacy and despite the compromises with the older models it is wonderful to see that the company continues to provide and support their Heritage models (Heresy III and Cornwall III !).

David F

http://www.focal.tm.fr/home/fr/profile/index.htm

Regis
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    But perhaps the point is a JBL user is so satisfied as a rule he ...she does not have to bother listening to other brands in dealers stores and it becomes a life long brand loyalty thing. That's the conviction worthy of the slogan.
    Naah, we don't look for other speaker brands; we just find bigger JBL's!

I would modify that statement to, "There is no best speaker, but I do know that it's not a Klipsch or Bose."

Is there a "the best wife"? Of course for me there is, but she might drive you crazy...

I agree that there is a short list of top candidates for best speakers. That would include THIEL,B&W NAUTILUS,JM LAB along with Revel and Wilson and the new TAD Model-1 and a few others I can't think of at the moment. There may be a contender from JBL, but due to the wisdom of Harman, I certainly haven't heard it.

Widget

I have looked at other stuff and have liked some of it. What kept out of the running was price. All the JBL drivers I own and systems I have scratch built cost less that a single pair of speakers in that price range. Of the ones I have heard only one pair Dr. Edgars Titans and Seismic Sub combo I would really be happy with. Best part of that is he uses JBL drivers, at least in the bass horn and midrange. So I quess even when trying I can't seem to stay all too far from the fold.

Rob

I have really enjoyed listening to Thiel at the CES shows, along with Tannoy Churchills. Another company deserving of extended listening is Von Schweikert Audio: http://www.vonschweikert.com/.

My favorite speaker is one in which I was a dealer... Soundwave by Vero Research. Jim Gala was the designer and holds a patent for the design....sometimes they show up on eBay. Company is no longer in business. Closest thing I'd ever heard to musicians in the room with you. And extremely reasonable prices. Probably why they went out of business....not pricey enough for the snobs....go figure.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

I like the B & W 801,s! Very neutral mids, the bass is there, but doesnt have that down low oomph of JBL, and the highs are nice, but a bit too polite at times! Something about that JBL sound keeps it on top for me!

Ive heard the big Wilsons in a Manhattan showroom, very impressive and imposing to look at, the sound was good, but not for the price they charge! Has alot of slam in the low end, I can achieve this with premium JBL woofers.

There is this one speaker I did like! Went to Manhattan to check out the Avant-Garde horn loudspeakers. Very quick and dynamic, did its thing with really low power! But then, I dig horns!
    scottyj

Thread Information