Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A better L112 ??

A better L112 ??

I purchased a very nice set of L-112's about a year ago and have never been quite satisfied with the sound. IMO they sounded kind of Tinny, shallow and lacked depth. So I sold all the guts and replaced the drivers with components of an L65, including crossover. I think it made a world of difference. When I A-B compare them to my L-300's they are very similar. Good dispersion, good sounding mids, except they could use a bit more bass.

My question is, to one of the cabinet tuning experts out there is, could I benefit by changing the port size or port depth for the installed driver? Or should I search for a different LF driver?

Also Do you think the new 112 config would benefit from an LE-85 horn as a midrange?

I power these with a 250 watt Pioneer Spec 2 & Spec 1 preamp with a Technics Sl-p1300 professional CD player.

Thanks for any help you can give. Here is a pic of them setting next to my 300's

Thanks

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images  

We need cabinet interior dimensions, driver model #, and present port dimensions, i.e., diameter and depth....

It may be optomistic to expect L300 bass from the current cabinet config, but I would like to see if it is possible to get a bit more from tuning.

Interior cabinet dimensions are 23"H X 12.75 "W X 10"D Port 3" dia 6" deep.

I think the driver is the 126A

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike

pelly3s
    well it looks pretty cool

Your going to have a problem simply because you dropped the 126 into a smaller box than you started with. As far as I know there are no published T/S paramaters for that woofer. If you are near someone with a Woofer Tester 2 you could measure them to get the T/S. You need the measurements to be able to model the drivers in a box program to see what you can do with the volume you have.

Techbot to the rescue?? Anyone have the TS on a 126A???

Rob

Stumbling upon this thread nearly 20-years later as I renew my acquaintance with the L112s I've owned since new for 40-years—having just given them new surrounds—I understand the fallacy of the Original Poster's premise. He should have taken the speaker complement of the L112 and put it in the cabinet of the L65. He did it backwards! The 128H has always needed a bit more box volume but it is a far better woofer than whichever of the three versions available mbotz has in his L65. And for normal use, the 077 really isn't all that compared to the silky 044! Show me that I'm wrong.

I just completed the L112 and they are happily playing atop the 240ti I recently "restored", too. Sitting in front of both of these is the L150A I'm working on next. Looking forward to another data point for comparison. Oh what fun I'm having just two-weeks into retirement.

". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Yah, if he wanted a better L112, he should've just opted for a set of 120ti's. Not that I've ever heard a pair, but the midrange and 044ti tweeter are supposed to be pretty darn good.

Although I rather liked the 044 tweeter in my 150A's. If only JBL mirrored those cabinets like they did with the L112's. Yours look great, BMWCCA. Glad you're enjoying retirement! Keep posting.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Yah, if he wanted a better L112, he should've just opted for a set of 120ti's. Not that I've ever heard a pair, but the midrange and 044ti tweeter are supposed to be pretty darn good.

Although I rather liked the 044 tweeter in my 150A's. If only JBL mirrored those cabinets like they did with the L112's. Yours look great, BMWCCA. Glad you're enjoying retirement! Keep posting.
    You know when we had our Mid-Atlantic JBL small speaker shootout, the 18ti with the same tweeter did not fare as well, much less surpass the basic 035-based plastic model in the L1 and L20T to the best of my recollection. That same 120ti tweeter is in the 240ti playing under my L112 in the photo above. I've got to say, being able to A—B both through the same amp in the same spot, I don't find the 044 to be lacking in any way. And that's after many hours of comparing them. Sure, my soon-to-be 71-year-old ears probably aren't what they used to be approaching 20,000Hz (or probably above 12,000!), but I can still hear them. The original 044 has always been pleasant and non-irritating. In fact, you can probably see in the photo that I back the tweeter and mid in the L112 back 2dB on the L-pads and what you can't see is I'm running the 240ti at flat on the rear switches to balance them out.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Heh, it didn't even occur to me that you've got both at your disposal to audition. Good to know. I never thought the 044 was lacking, rather liked it. Ran across a lot of [mis]information claiming that it was harsh compared to "soft dome" tweeters. Probably comes down to equipment. I'll never forget how much my mind was blown when I dumped that 510M Marantz in favor of it's usurper, the Adcom GFA-555II. They were pretty rad when both were driven by their own dedicated 555II. ...For all of twenty minutes

I'm over-due to "test" my hearing with test tones. Last I checked, I couldn't hear anything past 16khz. Also curious to see who hears better, me or Angela.

Heh, it didn't even occur to me that you've got both at your disposal to audition. Good to know. I never thought the 044 was lacking, rather liked it. Ran across a lot of [mis]information claiming that it was harsh compared to "soft dome" tweeters. Probably comes down to equipment.
    I think much of that comes from people hearing on the Internet how irritating the 035 titanium tweeters are (but I have those, too...) and then transfer that complaint to all JBL domes not realizing that the 044 is actually a "soft" phenolic dome painted with aluminum. I think a lot of that also can come from bad source material. Sh*t in, sh*t out.

Similar phenomenon occurs when you hear people complain about "West Coast sound" attributed to all JBLs because they read it on the Internet. (Yes, I have L100 Century, too...)

I believe much of my JBL acquisitions are because of misinformation I've read on the Internet. The more I collect, the more I can personally attest to what a load of crap those opinions really are.

Now if I can just get around to finishing the L150A and the 250ti, I can further expand the scope of my experience. At some point this could even lead to a sell-off once I've satisfied my curiosity and have had the chance to share the live results with a few others.

Agreed. Why I like getting my hands on the stuff and trying it out as well.

The 250ti.. I'm looking forward to that rebuild! I've always wanted to hear (and see) a set. I'm especially curious about the versions with the updated bi-ampable crossover network. Not sure if that was only limited to the Jubilee.

The 250ti.. I'm looking forward to that rebuild! I've always wanted to hear (and see) a set. I'm especially curious about the versions with the updated bi-ampable crossover network. Not sure if that was only limited to the Jubilee.
    I did have a chance to hear Mark's set at "the house where bass goes to die" in Northern Virginia. With subs, as I recall. My experience with the Crown Studio Reference-II on the 240ti tells me I should have enough power for the 250ti without needing to bi-amp. That's why I got it. But you never know. I don't get to play music as load as I used to. Too many sensitive ears in the house until I finish my upstairs "bonus" listening room. Another project.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I don't get to play music as load as I used to.
    That's why you still have most of your hearing!

On the tweeter topic, I was never a fan of the JBL in house dome tweeters. I thought that Audax, Peerless, SEAS, Vifa, and Dynaudio all did a better job. Apparently Harman agreed. They bought Audax... though they eventually sold it off when much of their manufacturing moved to Asia.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I did have a chance to hear Mark's set at "the house where bass goes to die" in Northern Virginia. With subs, as I recall. My experience with the Crown Studio Reference-II on the 240ti tells me I should have enough power for the 250ti without needing to bi-amp. That's why I got it. But you never know. I don't get to play music as load as I used to. Too many sensitive ears in the house until I finish my upstairs "bonus" listening room. Another project.
    Yes, unless you like to get above 110dB, 200-300 watts will be fine. Although if it was me with your gear, I'd put a PS-400 or 200 on duty for the highs and the SR-II for the lows. Those SR amps produce the tightest and most authoritative bass I've ever heard or experienced. A pleasure even at moderate volumes.

I have yet to fully jam out with little ears in the same house, but that day will come. Angela and I jam together, but we only play the system up to moderate levels with the girls around. However, I will acclimate them to the system and it's capabilities much like my dad did with us when I was young. It's in my DNA and I will infect them with it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. Widget View Post
    that's why you still have most of your hearing! :d....
    Widget
    +1 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. Widget View Post
    ...on the tweeter topic, i was never a fan of the jbl in house dome tweeters....
    Widget
    +1 :-)

Thread Information