Thread: 4355/3155 clones

Purrr,
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Originally posted by Ian Mackenzie
    Purrr,
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Tom Loizeaux
    Guys, I've read this thread with the greatest interest! Thanks to all of you.
    After reading these posts on humps, dips and polarity, I went down and reversed the banana connector on one of my 4343's bass speaker inputs (I'm bi-amping these). In this "reversed" position the bass became boomy!. I put a battery on the banana pins and, in my original normal position, the 2231 and 2121 were out of phase!
    I was shocked! I feel this "out of phase" position is more correct in terms of balance. Be aware that I'm running these 4343s with a Rane 24dB active crossover with no phase shift dialed in. I set the phase shift for maxium output at the crossover freq. of 250Hz, which was zero. ...wow, I'm beginning to get confused.
    When I run these using my 5235, using the "optomized" cards for the 4343, with the wiring in my normal position (2231 and 2121 out of phase) am I getting proper balance?

Please can someone clear this all up?
    Thanks,

Tom

Oh no...

Without looking backwards, so I don't get confused the 3143 network is wired such that:

UHF - positive
    HF - positive
    MF - positive
    LF - negative

Note - this is what the 3143 does, passive. And, if you've hooked-up the 5235 + to red biamped, the above also stands.

So yes, the 2231 and 2121 are out-of-phase in the 4343, by design. Sleep well, lad...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

The JBL cards have been optimised with the correct drive voltage to thr 2121 & 2231. Do a search as Giskard has posted sims of this. The slope is a modified 12db slope. I think the phase of the drivers will still need to ne reverse as is the case with all 12db butterworth networks.

Now, The Rane is all pass 24 db slopes with ouputs in phase. This will not provide the right slopes for this system. The overlpa b/n the 2121 & 2231 requires some degree of equalisation to avoid a hump caused by mutual couple of the drivers, this is incorporated in the JBL cards.

The JBL crossover does the JBL but is old and dated, its has class A/B follower buffers which are not the best for sonic excellence.

I have a better crossover in the works with discrete low feedback class A buffers soon to handle this..stay tuned.

Ian

pemoobi

Onken Altec with jbl 2441 and 2405

Salve ragazzi i have the attached.
    Woofer Altec could be 416a.
    I don't like crossover.
    Could i try the Mister Widget 4355/3155 clones?
    And if, as Hiraga suggestion, woofer 600Hz with 3.0 mH and 24 uf, what happen to the other interested values?
    Grazie
    Federico

Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information