Thread: please help any info at all jbl k120 in my hifi

Talking please help any info at all jbl k120 in my hifi

hi all
    i have a set of jbl k120 in my hifi setup(recently aquired)
    in jvc sk-1000 boxes with original xovers
    the way i understand it these are for guitar
    but these things sound awsome
    everything rockz on these from saosin to van morrison
    from a bit of reading here i undersatnd they can be reconed
    as a 2202
    what diffrence would this make
    and what benifits would i get
    and what would i loose
    why would i do it anyway?
    am i doing any damage by usuing them in the boxes?
    thnx from morbo

It's all about goals and expectations. If you love them leave them alone. If there is something lacking like highs or lows and you miss them you'll have quite a project ahead.

A zillion years ago I put together a system for a friend who was a trumpet player. They used a K120 and EV T35A in a 2.5 cu ft box ported and tuned to 50Hz. I believe the crossover was around 5KHz. I never liked them much. He loved them. He took the pair to a Klipsch dealer and compared them to the Heresy... he said that the dealer admitted that his "custom" jobs were better... yeah, maybe. Hell, he loved them, that's all that really matters.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    It's all about goals and expectations. If you love them leave them alone. If there is something lacking like highs or lows and you miss them you'll have quite a project ahead.

A zillion years ago I put together a system for a friend who was a trumpet player. They used a K120 and EV T35A in a 2.5 cu ft box ported and tuned to 50Hz. I believe the crossover was around 5KHz. I never liked them much. He loved them. He took the pair to a Klipsch dealer and compared them to the Heresy... he said that the dealer admitted that his "custom" jobs were better... yeah, maybe. Hell, he loved them, that's all that really matters.

Widget
    Thats it right there! Its what the idividual likes! The K or E 120 has snap, yeah, its a musical intrument driver, but the vocals, and instruments, especially percussive instruments, come to life through drivers like these!

You can change them, you can gain something in the low end, and youll almost undoubtedly have to trade off something to get that gain, usually its that midband presence and clarity that dissapears without the light cone and metal dustcap!

If the user loves the way they sound, leave em alone, and enjoy them. If you want more extension and deeper bottom, add a quality subwoofer.
    scottyj

I've always liked the D131, which I think is pretty much the same speaker, although I know it is not hi fi. I like it for short periods of time. I like the transient response and dynamics, but it emphasizes the mid range as a general use PA speaker for voice and requires a rather big box to get any bass at all.

I'm not clear about what deficencies you want to correct. Reconing with a 2202 kit would be about the worst thing to do because 1) if you have the original cones and they're in good shape, the drivers you have a very desireable as is; 2) you can buy the ferrite 2202 for less than the cost of reconing; 3) you probably would gain very little bass in your present enclosure, if that is what you are after; 4) you would lose upper mids and highs.

David

thanks guys
    i will leave em alone
    maybe relpace the old crossovers
    they have a decent bass there is no real lack of it !]
    im so happy its cool to use em
    awsome
    thanks a heap
    p.s the best thing about these is absoutly no distortion at really big volumes i`m looking for an old church to rent

Talking

p.p.s and i really dislike subs as far as im concerned they are not true hifi gear if u got a sub it means somthing is lacking prolly the amount if cash you spent on the speakers in the 1st place
    would it just destroy my brilliant soundstage i mean my brother was looking behind furniture for a hidden speaker (that magically floats around the room)lol

Thread Information