Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new L100s

new L100s

After reading so many positive reviews, I bought a set of L100 speakers. They are the first set of hi-fi speakers that I have ever owned myself. Right now they are hooked up to a Carver Magnetic Field integrated amp (I think it's 100 watts per channel) and a Nakamichi CD player. Everything sounds fine, but I've heard these things really come alive with tube power and low wattage. I'm also finding them to be incredibly revealing speakers, especially when it comes to compression or analog tape saturation. Basically, I want to get the most out of them so I was wondering what type of receiver might synergize well with these guys as well as some info about placement, etc. (right now they are sitting about a foot off the ground, 8 feet apart). I'm excited to finally have a pair of JBLs to call my own.

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"

hiya...

and welcome to the sickness....

Hiya, squibcake, and welcome.

Please click "User CP" above and enable location display in your profile.

The forum likes to know where folks are.

[Well, I do, anyway.... ]

Crash
    I nominate Zilch as the SPAM KING of this website.

Crash
    Oh my gosh! Zilch has even surpassed RobH3606 and Ian Mackenzie! How is this possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Crash
    How is this possible?
    Dedication....

Cool Squibcake!

Welcome.

Are your L100s originals (all the drivers in a single line from top to bottom) or second generation (the midrange and tweeter orbiting the top of the woofer)?
    Out.

they are 2nd generation. are both referred to as "century" models?

Welcome to the madness !! I have two pairs of the L100 second generations or I guess they're referred to as L100A (correct me if I'm wrong) with the mid and tweeters mounted staggered.
    It's interesting that mine have different nameplates- one doesn't carry the Century nomenclature- it just says L100. Its nameplate has the orange JBL logo on an otherwise black and white nameplate. If all L100 serial numbers were sequential, these are my newer L100's for they're in the 271792A range.
    My older ones in the 182711A SN range have black and white only nameplate, but do carry the L100 Century designation. A friend of mines L100A's are serial numbered in the 63200 range, so I wonder when, serial number-wise, they changed from the L100 to the L100A models.

Another interesting thing I noticed- my newer ones weigh almost 5 pounds apiece more than my older ones. More internal bracing on the newer cabinets ?

I just replaced the foam rings of the tweeters on both pairs yesterday, and replaced the foam grills on my number 2 pair yesterday also, which brings me to the question- how's the grills on yours ? If they're trashed or you just want the original look of the L100's- see sonofagun pronto .... the guy is second to none in making factory look alike grills....he's terrific !
    Dave Lyons - Zanesville, Oh = L300, L36, L40,
    L100a & L100a Century, J2050, S36AWII

Quote Originally Posted by dllyons
    Another interesting thing I noticed- my newer ones weigh almost 5 pounds apiece more than my older ones. More internal bracing on the newer cabinets?
    Ferrite magnets vs alnico on the older speakers?

The later L100s had the 123A-3 woofer. This sure looks like as much like an alnico as the -1. What speaker went into these with a ferrite magnet? I always thought that all L100s had alnico woofers and mid range speakers and that only the LE-25 was ferrite.

Do you think magnet composition would make that big of a difference ? Approx. 4.5 to 5 pounds ? It would be interesting to pop the drivers out and see, but I remember long ago that I tried to do just that, just for curiosity's sake, and had difficulty getting some of the screws to 'unscrew' out of the woofers. It was as though the nuts were on some kind of bind to not let them screw out. So I left them well enough alone. I'm going to have to learn a trick if I ever have to get them out ..... Maybe someone with more expertise on history of the L100's could enlighten me, and save me the chore.

I have an original L100(a?) sales brochure from 1972 (I believe) that does say the woofer and midrange uses alnico V magnets, but doesn't say what type magnet is in the tweeter.

I know the L100's aren't the best 12" 3 way system that JBL made, but I love them nonetheless. Coupled with a 'mystique' about them and some nostalgia reasons, I wouldn't part with them. I see there's a couple of the original L100's on eBay ..as we speak. Tempting, as I don't have any of the original ones ....
    Dave Lyons - Zanesville, Oh = L300, L36, L40,
    L100a & L100a Century, J2050, S36AWII

L100 Synergy

Hi Squibcake. If you wish to get the most out of your L100's I reccommed rebuilding the crossovers using audiophile parts. I rebuilt two pairs using new L-pads, Audiocap capacitors and silver plated copper wire. The sonic rewards were well worth the time and money spent. The resulting sound quality is extraordinary!!

Do you think magnet composition would make that big of a difference ? Approx. 4.5 to 5 pounds ?
    The 128H on the L112 would account for that kind of difference, but I don't know where that difference comes from between 2 different sets of L100s.

They could have ended up having 2213Hs installed at some point in the past, I don't think that you can see the difference from the front. It's the only reason that I could think of for the weight difference.

Thread Information