Thread: Another prototype and works great!

Another prototype and works great!

One of the problems I ran into with the new Tad preamp was a lack of inputs. I have 2 CD players and 1 Sacd along with the TV and Computer to connect. I had to constantly plug and unplug (a real pain). I came up with a relatively high quality solution.

I bought an (Extron Manufactured) branded Inline Audio Switch. This is a slave audio switch that adds audio capabilities to their 35XX series video switches. Used by broadcast facilities these are considered one of the better quality manufacturers here in the US.

I purchased model number Inline 3546R.

This switch is powered through pin 9 of the 35XX series video switch expansion port using a 15 pin cable supplied with the 3546R.

I had some real good Grumman aircraft single pole on/off switches kicking around and built an interface using a cheapo Radio Shlock project box and a Hewlett Packard 9volt 300 milliamp power supply I picked up on Ebay for 4 bucks.

Buy shorting JP8 on the PCB board in the 3546R I could now use the audio switch in a stand alone mode. The switch runs at 5 volts and has an internal step down transformer already built in.

One of the real nice things about this switch is the ability to balance the input voltage on each of the 6 pairs of rca's on each of the left and right channels. Those are the small sealed potentiometers you see on the front panel. Consequently the input voltages can all be matched so one source is no louder than the other. The combination of these combined with the high quality switches alows you to jump from source to source without turning down the volume. It works fantastic! No pops, just a clean switch from source to source.

I thought I would post this because I am sure others have the same issues. I got the switch off Ebay NOS for a steal of a deal at 79 bucks? This switch was over 400 just last year.

One word of caution " If you find one of these with the supplied cable, be aware pin 8 in this cable is not hooked up and you have to add a single wire to it. Also pin 7 (ground) is connected within this cable but is also bridged to the cable end casings. I suspect they did this to ground the video switch chassis to the 3546R chassis. Every time I plugged in my external power supply it would cause a dead short. Took me an hour to figure it out. They cover all the connections in the cable ends with silicone and I had to peel it back to see the problem.

This is a great solution guys....and very affordable if you keep your eyes open. I now have 9 inputs on my pre.

FYI, the 3546R's box is large enough to accomadate the external power supply connector and smaller swithches so thats what I will do. You can mount the switches right above the potentiometers on the front panel of the 3546R. It would be a much cleaner design.

Here is a couple of photo's. I hope I did not bore you.

Ken
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Thumbs up Good job, Ken

Looks great and a solid problem-solving exercise.

You really have a lot of free time, don't you?
    Out.

One more photo

Not very pretty, but functional. I will pretty it up.

In reading over my post I may have caused some confusion on the power pins. Let me clarify.

When powered with the 35XX series Video switch the 3546R gets its power from pin 9 from the video switches power supply (5 volts).

When used in Stand Alone mode with an seperate power supply (9 volt 300 milli amp required) the 3546R gets its power from pin 8. Ground of course stays the same at pin 7.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    Looks great and a solid problem-solving exercise.

You really have a lot of free time, don't you?
    Not really, but both Julie and I wanted this problem solved. Your welcome to come and check out the new HRX crossover cards if you can get away sometime next week?

Ken

Seems like a lot of work.

Coulda used a patch-bay - that's what they're for. I've fallen particularly hard for the Neutrik NYS-SPP-L. Amazing performance and oh-so-quiet.

Maybe this Link will work:

http://www.neutrik.com/startbyemail....D204_844827625

Alternatively, you could use this Ashly LX308B if you want to normalize the gain structure across the numerous inputs:

http://www.ashly.com/product/lx-series.htm

bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Hi Bo

Yes, those are nice units for sure. I wanted something a little more compact and "enjoyed the project". I was so happy with the sound quality I picked up some smaller switches and have a completely self contained unit now. Not sure about the Neutrik but the Ashly runs 400 to 500 bucks. This was done for under 130 and produced excellent high quality results. Here is a photo of the finished unit. Its dead quiet as well. I built the power supply right in.

Nice to see you pop in.....you must be very busy these days?

Ken

Thread Information