Thread: My JBL sub is dead

Thornton Davis

My JBL sub is dead

I have a JBL ARC SUB 8 that I bought new approximately 8 years ago. It's been well taken care of and never abused.

It's connected to my receiver by a standard sub cable to the sub out in the receiver. The receiver its self is only a couple of years old. Its a Panasonic SA-HE100.

Some time ago, the sub started to cut out. When it did it would making a popping sound. This became quite regular.

Unfortunately, now it makes no sound because it doesn't work . I do not believe it's the receiver.

The sub powers up fine. I've checked it over but can't find anything wrong with it.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance.

TD

Gently push in (EVENLY) from both sides of the front of the cone. I suspect there will be no movement. If it moves in and out but makes a rubbing sound the results are the same as if it does not move. It's toast and needs a recone. A pop/slapping sound in a cone transducer always makes the blood run cold.

Hope it helps.

Thornton Davis
    Thanks for this. As I was checking the speaker, I thought that I would double check my connections.

The connection into the sub was fine, but I noticed that the connection to the receiver looked a bit suspicous. The receiver is in a ackward location and difficult to access the back of. Upon further investigation in fact the connection to the receiver had worked itself out.

I pushed the cable into the sub out RCA port and before I could say "while i'll be a monkey's uncle", it was fixed pumping out lots of solid bass.

Problem solved.

Cheers,

TD

Thats good news. I forgot, always check the obvious first!

ARC SUB 8 is a nice little powered sub.

I've got 'em on two TV's here. Just enough.

The smaller PS60, I think it is, is on another one in the office. It's obviously EQ'd, but, "So what?" It ain't home theater, just a little extra pleasure.

They both regularly appear on eBay at VERY resonable prices....

Thread Information