Thread: Adcom GTP 500 ll

pangea

Adcom GTP 500 ll

Does anyone know anything about and have any thoughts on the Adcom GTP 500 ll Preamp/tuner?

I've read that it can be a bit bright, especially in the highs with ti domes.

What about 2441, 2445, 075/077? Could it become unpleasant you think?

I'm offered one, at a fairly good price, however the unit makes some quite loud clicks and pops, whenever the tone controls are activated.

I'm not interested in using tone controls tho, so I won't ever hear them, but could there be some kind of problem, that could even spread and "infect" the rest?

I'm a bit hesitant in buying the thing.

Can anyone please help me here?

BR
    Roland

EDIT: I've corrected the letters.

Is it a GT"P"-500II ?
    LE15-Thumper
    "Give me JBL, or give me death"

Well...

I had a GTP 750 and an 830 and both of them sounded fair but they both had the noise you are talking about. The noise in the 750 just got worse and ended up in the volume as well. Adcom offered me a trade from the 750 to the 830.

I now use a Rotel 1068

Hope this helps you

pangea
    Quote Originally Posted by LE15-Thumper
    Is it a GT"P"-500II ?
    - LE15-Thumper
    Yes, my mistake, it's a GTP-500 ll. Sorry.

- JuniorJBL
    Do all of the Adcom's have this brightness, or could it be that they are just a bit more sensitive to CD-jitter?

Is that brightness equally present on Vinyl?

I'm hoping a good RTA will be able to reduce that brightness somewhat, IF I'm going to buy it.

BR
    Roland

pangea

Audionics of Oregon BT-2

The reason for me wanting to replace my preamp, is because my old one, an eighties Audionics of Oregon BT-2 (once compared to the Mark Levinson ML-1), over the years has developed a slight hiss on idle and a slight bleed through from tape IN/OUT, which is slowly becoming, increasingly annoying as I'm tweaking the rest of my system.

Other than that, I've always been VERY happy with my BT-2, but I'm thinking now, some of the caps need to be replaced, but I'm not quite sure where to begin, so I thought I'd buy a decent substitute, that doesn't cost me a fortune.

Does anyone BTW, have any info on the BT-2?

Try this one, highly recommended.

GFP-750

http://www.adcom.com/preamplifiers/gfp750.htm

pangea
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    Try this one, highly recommended.

GFP-750

http://www.adcom.com/preamplifiers/gfp750.htm
    Many thanks for the recommendation and if I can find one, I'll absolutely give it a try, but the thing is that I'm offered a GTP-500ll with a slight problem right now and I can probably get that one for about 120€/US$130.

BR
    Roland

I have a BT-2 as well. The Adcom won't sound nearly as dynamic because it uses cheap op-amps as opposed to the discrete transistor ccts in the Audionics.

The older GTP units had noisey source selector switches which usually could be cleaned, but not always.

As for the bleed through I would look for a better toggle switch (Mine does the same thing) and get that hiss in that one channel fixed.

There are a lot of good pre-amps out there. I would stick to a preamp only and get tuner if you really want radio.
    LE15-Thumper
    "Give me JBL, or give me death"

Quote Originally Posted by pangea
    The reason for me wanting to replace my preamp, is because my old one, an eighties Audionics of Oregon BT-2 (once compared to the Mark Levinson ML-1), over the years has developed a slight hiss on idle and a slight bleed through from tape IN/OUT, which is slowly becoming, increasingly annoying as I'm tweaking the rest of my system.

Other than that, I've always been VERY happy with my BT-2, but I'm thinking now, some of the caps need to be replaced, but I'm not quite sure where to begin, so I thought I'd buy a decent substitute, that doesn't cost me a fortune.

Does anyone BTW, have any info on the BT-2?
    If the Audionics has a sound you love, why not have it serviced?

If its a cap, Im sure they can find it, and replace it, and have you up and running as new!
    scottyj

pangea
    Quote Originally Posted by LE15-Thumper
    I have a BT-2 as well. The Adcom won't sound nearly as dynamic because it uses cheap op-amps as opposed to the discrete transistor ccts in the Audionics.

The older GTP units had noisy source selector switches which usually could be cleaned, but not always.

As for the bleed through I would look for a better toggle switch (Mine does the same thing) and get that hiss in that one channel fixed.

There are a lot of good preamps out there. I would stick to a preamp only and get tuner if you really want radio.
    Cool, what a coincidence, here I'm asking you for help on an Adcom, because you're the expert on those and then I find out you also have a BT-2, which is the reason, that I'm prowling for a substitute.

Do you by any chance have the specs on the BT-2, or any other info on this baby?
    I never got a manual with it, as I bought it second hand, many years ago.

I'll try to find a service manual and a tape switch and replace it.

It's good to know, the Adcom isn't nearly as good as the BT-2 and also why it isn't, which makes it easier for me to try to negotiate the price on the Adcom.
    Do you think it could at least be a decent temporary fill in, while the BT-2 is serviced?

BR
    Roland

EDIT: About the bleed through, could it be some wires also need better shielding? There are many neatly strapped wires, but very few seem to be shielded, as I recall.

pangea
    Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin
    If the Audionics has a sound you love, why not have it serviced?

If its a cap, Im sure they can find it, and replace it, and have you up and running as new!
    I really do love and appreciate the BT-2, for it's very, clean, detailed, transparent and yes dynamic presentation of the music.

Before I was thinking, that perhaps I could find a decent replacement for my aging BT-2, but now I know that I must have it serviced and put back in to service as soon as possible.

I only hope I can find a service manual or some other tech info and if possible, try to do the job my self, before handing it over to someone else. Love DIY.

BR
    Roland

Thread Information