Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Snake-oil treatments

With other cables I had, I also found the sound to be brighter, and take on a harder texture. This happened with silver wire. I find silver cables to be on the bright side of things. Gets edgy sounding. Someone made special cables for me, and sent them to me, all the way from Japan, copper wire, good, but big RCA connectors, he had told me he made these specially for me, and to fit in with the sound, and equipment that I use, and because he made them for ME, I really was excited, and I really wanted to LIKE them. Too bright sounding for me. When I had these in, even my employees began to complain to me, the music is bothering my ears they would tell me! At the end of a night, I put the ordinary cables back, and everything was right! Next night, no complaints!

I make my own, West Penn or Belden, and use Switchcraft and Neutrik connectors. It works for me!

I was about to go to a store and buy an even better, more expensive cable for the sake of having some new toy, had I decided I really liked the Kimber, but I think Ill hold on the my money for a bit this time!
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin
    I admit, looks influence me to some degree! But in the end, its always the sound that gets me, regardless of how it looks!

I even find myself looking at all the pretty cables, thinking, WOW, they look so nice, so cool! But, are they truly worth over $1000 for a 1 meter pair?

OTOH, some of the best sounding stuff, especially from the pro and theatre lines, was also some of the ugliest stuff!

What I know for sure, is in fact, LOOKS do sell products, and these days they make speaker cabinets that are fine furniture as well! Same for amps, cables and electronics! Betcha the WAF is much higher when looking at a pair of B & W 801,s or 802,s than it is for pro studio monitors in utility cabinets? A plastic knob will turn the potentiometer shaft just like knobs machined from a billet of solid titanium, but what looks nicer?

Cable companies do the same thing by making real slick looking cables, in fact, they put alot of money into the materials to make slick looking outer jackets! Now, if the cable legitemately sounds better than off the shelf cable materials, why doesnt the pro compamies offer these enhanced wires, but in utility jackets! The consumer variants of the great sounding pro stuff was always packaged in more cosmetically attractive packages! The JBL L-300 comes to mind, its a consumer version of a well known and popular JBL studio monitor!

But I dont see pro compamies offering pro versions of assoteric wire! And, yes, there are pro systems that have amazing sound quality, and amazing resolution, so if theres a real difference to be heard, it can be heard through a really high quality pro sound system, especially operated by someone that really knows what they are doing!

I mean, take an amplifier, on one hand, there are some really beautiful looking amps pictured in stereophool, and some sound really good, but would they sell as well, if they looked like a Crown? Then others really look beautiful, but dont sound anything like they look!

You gotta buy with your EARS, not your eyes! But who would spend $4500 on a pair of interconnects in a plain grey teflon jacket?
    Hmm....I like that post.

I have nice "thick" Juicy Pink interconnects with really "large" gold sockets called Harmony Cables.

But just remember the quality of the terminations account for more than you think. Just pop off the top of your amps and you will see what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Lansing
    Hmm....I like that post.

I have nice "thick" Juicy Pink interconnects with really "large" gold sockets called Harmony Cables.

But just remember the quality of the terminations account for more than you think. Just pop off the top of your amps and you will see what I mean.
    I like your post too! As I have always been taught, A snug, "TIGHT" connection is a good connection!
    scottyj

Actually I have seen some neat stuff in my local HiFi shop that might help. The salesman said it was like Lube and that is supposed to improve the connection.

I think he was just being smart, I am not sure how this would help as once its in it should stay in and not come out right.

Perhaps Scotty you can explain what he meant?

Bye for now darling...

as once its in it should stay in and not come out right.
    Yes it should! Matter of fact, two connections should at least be able to make a night out of it!

After all, if it only stayed in for the first 2 minutes of the song, what good would that be?
    scottyj

I ain't buyin' no reel of fluorescent pink cable to make ZWC's.

No matter HOW much y'all beg for it.

Nope....

WAIT! That'd be "Product Identity!"

Actually I have seen some neat stuff in my local HiFi shop that might help. The salesman said it was like Lube and that is supposed to improve the connection.

I think he was just being smart, I am not sure how this would help as once its in it should stay in and not come out right.

Perhaps Scotty you can explain what he meant?

Bye for now darling...
    But really, I am coming to feel that the cables outer jacket might in fact be of some importance, after all! I think the cables might be better in something sheer, and accessible, dont you agree?
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch

Nope....

WAIT! That'd be "Product Identity!"
    Maybe a 2-way cable?
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

!

Through the Kimber, and its a cost effective entry level AUDIO cable, the music seems artificially subdued, the mids dont have that crispness, and the highs werent right! Yeah the bass is different too, but seemed slower.

The particular Kimber I used is not terribly expensive, and is why I chose to use it, but I definitely hear a difference and didnt like it! But a $200 pair of interconnects should blow away a $14.99 set, right?

go figure?

You .....Horse's Patoot ....!

i KNOW what the problem is here ......

you didn't buy the Good Kimber Cable ....ya gotta spend $2000...

to get the GOOD cable.........

14 ga Speaker wire works for me. My Disco records are not going to care one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by "Duke" Spinner
    you didn't buy the Good Kimber Cable ....ya gotta spend $2000...

to get the GOOD cable.........
    God, I hope not.... I can't afford that.

I've heard great cable from Radio Shack ( I have a few) and real bad ones from Kimber,( I have those also) personally I like the hero's right now in my PS system ( but not other systems)

BUT it just depends on what system your using them in. I can take my PSS silver interconnects and put them in one system and they sound great..move them another system and it sounds like shit.

to simply put in a interconnect ( or speaker wire or what not) and judge it in only one system with one setup is unfair. Personally I don't think there's such a thing as a bad interconnect ( well there is the one that got tore up - it's pretty bad) or a great one, they're all just different; and one that is best for one system will suck in another.

and I don't think you have to pay $2000 for good sound. In fact most really expensive stuff is "hard" sounding and lifeless, more exact maybe, but not as musical to my ears.

so we get back to personal taste......

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch

Nope....
    Darn

Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    God, I hope not.... I can't afford that.

I've heard great cable from Radio Shack ( I have a few) and real bad ones from Kimber,( I have those also) personally I like the hero's right now in my PS system ( but not other systems)

BUT it just depends on what system your using them in. I can take my PSS silver interconnects and put them in one system and they sound great..move them another system and it sounds like shit.

to simply put in a interconnect ( or speaker wire or what not) and judge it in only one system with one setup is unfair. Personally I don't think there's such a thing as a bad interconnect ( well there is the one that got tore up - it's pretty bad) or a great one, they're all just different; and one that is best for one system will suck in another.

and I don't think you have to pay $2000 for good sound. In fact most really expensive stuff is "hard" sounding and lifeless, more exact maybe, but not as musical to my ears.

so we get back to personal taste......
    I didnt go out and spend any money! I just played around with stuff I already had!

Truthfully, I left the RS cable where it is, for whatever reason, it does sound good. It doesnt change anything, but out of the cables I played with that I have left from my " better wire search " days, I didnt like any of them!

I have these MIT cables with boxes on the ends, supposed to time align the signal, etc, they were the worst of everything I played with today! They definitely muck up the highs.

I believe your correct in saying the most exact sounding is not always the best sounding, and in many cases its hard to listen to!

Now wheres Mrs. Lansing and those interconnects from Victorias Secret?

scottyj

ONCE AGAIN !!!.......

The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.

Wow, have we proved that point here.
    LE15-Thumper
    "Give me JBL, or give me death"

I didnt go out and spend any money! I just played around with stuff I already had!

Truthfully, I left the RS cable where it is, for whatever reason, it does sound good. It doesnt change anything, but out of the cables I played with that I have left from my " better wire search " days, I didnt like any of them!

I have these MIT cables with boxes on the ends, supposed to time align the signal, etc, they were the worst of everything I played with today! They definitely muck up the highs.

I believe your correct in saying the most exact sounding is not always the best sounding, and in many cases its hard to listen to!

Now wheres Mrs. Lansing and those interconnects from Victorias Secret?

The cables actually change colour in different light conditions..I really like that.

Age's ago I had a really hi end system with Cary, AR , Maggies and some other stuff..VPI and Clearaudio. I tried everything incl the best Gortz and these were the most musical! Now I am back to basics.....

I prefer amps that are pure tonally without being over detailed and etched and paper cone speakers..that seems to work well.

Must come over an see your system sometime.

Thread Information