Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help Me Identify This Speaker

OK. They are 4313Bs...

I am linking a photo. I got them for $25, thought they were $25 apiece, so that was a bonus. They are in rough condition. The woofers look pretty good, the foam of course is gone, where can I get this thin roll foam? Both mids have tears in them, but they look easily repaired. Finally, the domes are crushed, I am at a loss what to do about these. Maybe that ding repair kit where you glue something on, pull out, then dissolve off the glue? I don't know, these are aluminum, right? Might present a problem. The cabs were not as bad as I remember, a little sanding and tung oil, could look pretty good. One grille.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nice Score !

- I imagine you could turn a tidy profit by now offering these up for sale on this site, for something in the mid $200. range . ( No, I'm not interested )
    - The le10H woofs alone will fetch 100 to $200 for the pair ( as is ) parted-out on eBay .
    - The rest ??? well they need rehabbing to be worth anything on the used market ( IMHO ).

Heh BTW; what happened to those twin 8" woofers ? ( Hallucinogens ? )

Please don't play these until they are redone, lest you damage the voice coils, other than a brief, low-volume test to verify that all of the drivers operate, of course.

Once rehabbed, they'll be better than anything else you have on your list. They are quite beautiful, actually, to those who know what they can be. It'll take some effort and investment for that to happen, however.

If you're not up to learing how to restore these properly, or are not interested, just resell them as-is at a profit. The more you mess with them now, the less they'll be worth....

They Will Certainly Get on the List

to refurbish, I'll post back someday when they are done. I have re-foamed many woofers in the past with good success. These seem tighter and center better than the Advents and EPIs, are the chances good I'll be able to do them without cutting out the cap? I have never had to fix tears in the cone, but it does not appear too difficult, where is a good tutorial on this? And finally, I see the big guys sell the proper replacement foam. I like to go low budget with MATelectronics, Rssound, mainelectronics, but they don't seem to have the thin roll 10". Is there a budget supplier out there?

And finally, I see the big guys sell the proper replacement foam. I like to go low budget with MATelectronics, Rssound, mainelectronics, but they don't seem to have the thin roll 10". Is there a budget supplier out there?
    - I suggest you buy surrounds from Rick Cobb out of Florida. Then get them installed by a professional, making sure the new foam is glued to the backside of the cone. Here's his email address ; [email protected]

Tweeter repair

I believe these are 066 tweeters, as are in my L166's. The diaphragm is actually a cloth dome with phenolic resin, onto which a thin layer of aluminum coating was vapor-deposited (See L166 brochure elsewhere in this website for more information).

You might try some adhesive tape stuck to the dome, but the dome is pretty hard and stiff, and I don't know how strong the bond is between the phenolic dome and the aluminum coating. You might have no luck in raising it, and it might peel the aluminum?

If you are careful, you can remove the diaphragm and push the dome back out into shape. It won't be perfect, but it'll be a damn sight better than what they are now. You'll have to pull the driver from the cabinet, remove three screws to release the front cover plate, and carefully de-solder the diaphragm leads in order to remove the diaphragm. Take your time, and be gentle. The diaphragms are NLA. And don't bend the voice coil!

Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    For some reason I never realized you were in Maryland. I'm from Frederick, Md. and still have family there. Can I come by and see you the next time I'm in Md?
    I lived near Hagerstown from 84 to 99. Right over the mountain.

RJ

I have a large number of correct LE10 (and LE8) surrounds. Been selling them for $12 a pair (plus usually about $2.50 for USPS Parcel Post mailing)...

Regards,
    Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonW View Post
    I have a large number of correct LE10 (and LE8) surrounds. Been selling them for $12 a pair (plus usually about $2.50 for USPS Parcel Post mailing)...

Regards,
    Gordon.

Sure thing Gordon, I'd love to get ahold of correct foams for LE10s, I have PM'ed and not gotten a response, send payment info and we'll get moving on this.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonW View Post

Regards,
    Gordon.
    when I had Lancer 77's, the LE10 surrounds were quite hard, thought they sounded OKAY. Were they originally that way or did harden with time ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

The original white surrounds were as soft as marshmallow when they were new.

Thread Information