Thread: Particle Board

analogman

Particle Board

Does anyone know what year JBL stopped using plywood for their C series cabs and began using veneered particle board? Aside from cost, WHY? I'm still looking for eight legs for my C40 project, by the way, if anyone can help. My L20Ts are made of the same shit as my Harkness cabs, amazing! The '50s C40 JBL Dog sold me is all PLYWOOD. Why the change, so early on? Would make sense in today's world, but not the early 1960s.
    Regards,
    Analogman

It's not particle board, rather, MDF, and is sonically better for speaker building than plywood.

http://www.design-technology.org/mdf.htm

They have your wood legs at my local hardware store for $2.29 each.

Sometimes I feel like I'm just flappin' my digits....

analogman

A Note For Zilch

Sometimes I feel like I'm just flappin' my digits....[/QUOTE]

Not at all, Zilch! I listened to what you said, and tried at every place near me. They look at me like I'm crazy. As you can see, I'm "right down the road" from you in Concord. Driving to Berkeley is no problem, so PLEASE tell me the NAME of your hardware store.

I always listen to, appreciate, and thank you, for all the input you've shared with me.

Analogman

Thumbs up Flip vs. flap

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    It's not particle board, rather, MDF, and is sonically better for speaker building than plywood.

http://www.design-technology.org/mdf.htm

Sometimes I feel like I'm just flappin' my digits....
    Say, brother, I believe one flaps one's jaw, and one flips one's digits. At least that's what I do. :flip: Oops! No smilie to demonstrate that.

Long live MDF! (Unless it gets wet, or too hot, or too dry, or dropped, or you're sensitive to long-term, low-level exposure to toxic gas discharges. )

No, honestly, I think MDF is the right stuff.
    Out.

analogman
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    Say, brother, I believe one flaps one's jaw, and one flips one's digits. At least that's what I do. :flip: Oops! No smilie to demonstrate that.

Long live MDF! (Unless it gets wet, or too hot, or too dry, or dropped, or you're sensitive to long-term, low-level exposure to toxic gas discharges. )

No, honestly, I think MDF is the right stuff.

I understand the sonic advantages. The inspiration for my original question was the crumbs, flaking and spinning wood screws I'm dealing with on the 1960s era boxes. I know technology has improved MDF quite a bit, but this early stuff is a pain in the ass . On the interior sides of the panels where the have been relieved to make the joint with the removable back section, big chunks of wood chips are clearly visible in the substrate. That is why I refered to this material as "particle board". I stand corrected.

By the way, any suggestions on strengthening those loose wood screw holes? I've just been using carpenter's glue, a small amount in each hole and letting it soak in and dry before reassembly. Any better ways?

What is the name of the material which is very dense, smooth and completly grainless like the stuff B&W uses? I own a pair of CDM-1SEs and you can clearly see it on the rounded edges. I was under the mistaken impression that was MDF. HDF?

Thanks again for your help,
    Analogman

analogman

Still Want To Know

...when the change over was made.
    Regards,
    Analogman

Quote Originally Posted by analogman
    Driving to Berkeley is no problem, so PLEASE tell me the NAME of your hardware store.
    I'm PM'ing you the details.

We'll also introduce you to the unique pleasures of Down Home Music when you come here:

http://www.arhoolie.com/links/downhome.html

Apparently, according to Google, there are special fasteners for particle board and MDF.

The lumber yard may know about them, or a cabinetmaker....

John Y.

JBL "particle board" and legs

Quote Originally Posted by analogman
    Does anyone know what year JBL stopped using plywood for their C series cabs and began using veneered particle board? Aside from cost, WHY? I'm still looking for eight legs for my C40 project, by the way, if anyone can help. My L20Ts are made of the same shit as my Harkness cabs, amazing! The '50s C40 JBL Dog sold me is all PLYWOOD. Why the change, so early on? Would make sense in today's world, but not the early 1960s.
    Regards,
    Analogman
    Analogman,

The JBL Hartsfield plans drawn in 1959 show the use of their version of particle board that was called "Timblend". This was a trade name for a certain brand of board. Look up Timblend in Google for more info. I'm not sure it was a MDF type. My Hartsfield purchased in 1959 had birch ply core.

As for the legs, are you looking for the wooden, or the rakish "stilletto" aluminum type? The wood type used to be available at shops that sell materials to woodworkers, though I haven't seen any recently. Try the net for a search of those places.

John Y.

analogman

Thank You

Thanks John. I wanted to know with regards to the board materials as an aid in dating some other cabs I have.
    Analogman

Thread Information