Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My JBL speakers off to a new home

So the company swears that what they have ordered for me is replacement diaphrams not tweeters. Never tried to do this what fitfalls should I we aware of? TD, since you have seen these tweeters up close and personal , can the diaphrams even be serviced?

I did get the replacement grill today

Yank

So I emailed JBL about the tweeters and trim panels and I have to admit it their support response is tremendous. I took those responses and forwarded to the company I bought them from and now new tweeters are on order (2) and they are going to let me know about the trim panels this week.

Once I get the tweeters and panels, I am going to open them up!

Yank

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by bigyank
    So the company swears that what they have ordered for me is replacement diaphrams not tweeters. Never tried to do this what fitfalls should I we aware of? TD, since you have seen these tweeters up close and personal , can the diaphrams even be serviced?

I did get the replacement grill today

Yank
    Separating the diaprhagms from the magnets/mounting plate is quite easy. I'm assuming they're assuming it's a drop in replacement. Well, okay, but that doesn't address any problem that occurs before the diaprhagm comes into play.

In mine, my local shop couldn't fix it and recommended I buy a new one, even though they got no business from me as a result. Of course, mine had been dropped and broken so hard it might have f'd the magnet.
    Out.

I was assuming that these would be drop-in replacements as well. We shall see. The most amazing part of this is from the sales perspective, I cannot believe a company, in business as long won't name them yet has, didn't even check them before they went out the door. That way, if they were tested, when I called them up and told them "Hey <salesmen's name> there is no sound from the tweeters" they could have at least tried to blame the carrier, the in-famous UPS!

I really want them to work! I have extremely cooperative and patient but I am ready to pack them up and take a drive to NY!

Yank

IF you need any help with these give me a shout. Just make sure those Bozarks are locked up and cannot hurt me.

Thanks! I will keep that in mind. Bozaks are going to be permanently retired very soon I can assure you

Yank

lodoc
    PHP Code:
    Bozaks are going to be permanently retired very soon 
    Indeed I have a pair of monster bozaks (200-L's ???) as well. What should be their fate? Is there any market for them?

Okay, I get home today from work and what is waiting for me but a new pair of tweeters and the trim panels! Guess I have some work to do, wish me luck!

Yank

Help with sva1500 tweeter

I just got some sva1500's on ebay,(postoffice tossed em good) and one tweeter is not working, I was able to take off side trim with no problem, exacto knife worked good, I took out screws and tweeter, wires are hooked up ok, just dont know what to use with volt meter, shows nothing on dc volts, soooo...how the hell you test if its the tweeter or the crossover network....?????I really dont want to take off the other speaker trim, and switch tweeters...wait, can I just hook up speaker wire directly to tweeter from amp line?

Quote Originally Posted by John K
    I just got some sva1500's on ebay,(postoffice tossed em good) and one tweeter is not working, I was able to take off side trim with no problem, exacto knife worked good, I took out screws and tweeter, wires are hooked up ok, just dont know what to use with volt meter, shows nothing on dc volts, soooo...how the hell you test if its the tweeter or the crossover network....?????I really dont want to take off the other speaker trim, and switch tweeters...wait, can I just hook up speaker wire directly to tweeter from amp line?

The tweeters is the SVA Series really don't like to be knocked around. This is probably toast, but be sure you've removed the driver from the crossover circuit before testing. Just place your multimeter leads directly on the speaker's connectors to take your measurement and check the Ohms on the low Ohms scale.
    Out.

The ohm setting on my mutimeter has only one, x1k...when I put put the leds on, it goes all the way over to zero...the crossover connects were disconnected...I got em for 150bucks total...so I guess I got to spend another 80 on a tweet...thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by John K
    Wait, can I just hook up speaker wire directly to tweeter from amp line?
    NO!

Ok...Just two more questions...first one, did I test the tweeter right with the multimeter?...disconnected from crossover, the ohms goes all the way pegged below zero...second I see the 1500 and 1800 use the same tweeter, is it possible to cross reference a jbl tweeter that will fit, and work as good as the original soft dome that came with the speakers.???, I did get a reply from there parts dept for a replacement at 85 bucks for one...I did ask them for a price on just replaceing the diaphrams...I dunno, kind of new at this, but by looking at it, it doesnt seem hard to do, this particular horn was hit by something hard on the outside, cuz it has a small dent on the top of it.

Using a multimeter that does not have a low ohms setting, seeing a shorted indication is probably an indication of a good tweeter. I have seen this a few times using a $10. meter.

Ok...I just got brave and got the trim off the other speaker with no problem, switched tweets and yeah, the one tweeter is bad, now I got that figured out, Im just going to order another new tweeter and call it good, thanks for your guys help and Ideas.

Thread Information