Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My JBL speakers off to a new home

My JBL speakers off to a new home

Met my first colleague from this forum today, Duanage. He pried my speakers (L100t's) out of my living room.

Great guy and is definitely nice to meet a fellow audio-nut!

Now I have to wait for the replacements. I am getting a pair of SVA1800's! I hope my Adcom GFA-5800 will be enough to drive them!

Will be pairing them with the in-famous (some say POS) subwoofer JBL PSW-D112. I have had mine for over 5 years without any incident!

Yank

Talking welcome!

Welcome to the SVA Club! This exclusive group is reserved for those aficianadoes who like their music with Full Frontal Fury Flying Fast Forcefully Fracturing Face and Femur. That's nine f'n Fs.

Don't get me too worked up or I'll start another thread.

Many are called, many are crushed, few survive. Here, have some more of my SVAid:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

So this is the JBL for those Klipsch guys who want to ease into JBL ownership slowly ?

jblnut

First fly in the ointment. Seller tells me that one of the 4 grills is missing. I checked the Harman/JBL site and the grills are not even listed, period for that model but they are listed as available for the SVA2100. If they cannot get the grills I might back out of the sale, I am not sure. In the meantime, I sold all my speakers except these!

Bozak kit speakers from around 1965 (I think, I have to open them up to check the serial numbers). Someone mentioned to me in another forum that they are B302A Provincials (just in a kit). Actually got these for free I cannot pass up free. I have to be careful though, I will be driving 250 watts per channel at them.

Yank
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Cool SVA Grilles

I've seen the SVA1800 grilles on and off the parts and accessories list over the past couple of years. They may come back again, or maybe they're just all gone forever. The frame in one of mine is cracked in a couple of places, so I keep intending to replace it, but I never get around to it. I like to play them without the grilles anyway, so I'm not sure it's a big issue, except when the grandson somes around the grilles go on---QUICK!

If you're really backing away from the SVAs, PM me the info. I'd like to contact the seller.
    Out.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut
    So this is the JBL for those Klipsch guys who want to ease into JBL ownership slowly ?

jblnut
    Ha ha, there's no easy about it unless you consider being clawed in the nuts and bitten in the face by a stoned groupie (JBL) easier than being kneed in the groin and gouged in the face by a drunken bar fly (Klipsch). They'll both get your attention.

Actually, you may have a point.
    Out.

PM sent. I tell you what, the SVA2100's which I am sure kick it out are available except for the tweeters which are different then the 1800's. Might have to look into a project for next year . Someone on this site whom I will NOT name actually mentioned to me that if I ever wanted to build some speakers.......

http://www.jbl.com/home/product_supp...prodId=SVA2100

Yank

So they were able to procure a new grill! Can't wait to get 'em.

Yank

Smile It's funny

How things turn out. So all systems are "Go"?
    Out.

So the speakers arrived and they are whole! Pics to follow as soon as I get them setup. One issue though and that one pair of the gold plated bi-amp jumpers are missing. I know I can fabricate a pair, worst case (I have contacted the seller of this issue) but can these be ordered? I did not see them on a parts listing with JBL.

Yank

The jumpers have been located and will be shipped out with the grill when that arrives! Guess I will create a pair for now.

Yank

Oh MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I hook the speakers up in a bi-amp'd configuration and I have no tweeters for either channel

Now if I crank the volume to say 2 o-clock I hear a faint sound from both tweeters. Possibly something crossover related?

Anyway I called up the seller and expressed my dismay! Gave them:

http://www.jbl.com/home/product_supp...prodId=SVA1800

JBL's product page and said order 2 new ones, ship them to me and I will install them! Maybe 2 crossovers while we are at it!

First time buying from this company in NY and might be the last, we shall see!

Yank
    Last edited by bigyank; 10-26-2005 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Adding to my stupidity

Lightbulb Man, that bites

The soft dome tweeter on one of my SVAs was knocked out during shipping and I had to replace it.

Here's the part that's going to suck if you don't do it right. There are more than just four allen screws holding that biradial horn in place. Some are covered up by the fake woodgrain inserts on either side. You can peel them off to expose the Allen heads, but in doing so, they'll be ruined and you will not be able to put them back on. I haven't found a source for the SVA1800 panels. I think the 2100 panels might still be in stock.

So, I'm going to recommend that you remove both 8" woofers and try to work around the back of the horn to replace the soft dome, unless you don't mind having some collateral damage to the looks of your SVAs.

I'll see if I can get a picture of what it looks like when you do it the wrong way when I get home.

Out.

If that is the case, I might just give UPS a call and pack both up and send them back! Damn! Any gotacha's on taking the 8" drivers out? Also, how about veneer to cover the original plastic pieces? Black ash would make them disappear!

Yank

Easy everyone, watch your eyes!

The woofers are simple. They come out just as you expect they should. They are heavy on the back end, so I'd recommend placing the SVAs flat on their backs for the removal; otherwise, they tend to kick out hard when the bottom is freed.

Once they're out, you can reach the back of the horn from above and below easily, though seeing is a bit difficult. You can always stick a small mirror in there. OR you can wait 'til I get home and I'll pull the horn from my "boner SVA" and show you exactly what it looks like on the back.

My mistake is your good forutne.
    Out.

Thread Information