Page 73 of 76 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 1133

Thread: JBL L Series (1990s)

Replaced the awful plastic base in the L7

Fun project getting the plastic bases removed and replaced with Name:  4A06C8DC-6135-4381-82C2-36115875421B.jpg
Views: 973
Size:  130.0 KBName:  612BC23C-1D42-4F9E-812E-4A9F5B431914.jpg
Views: 1145
Size:  70.8 KBa beautiful set of heavy steel spiking kits courtesy of my friends at RBH Sound in Layton UT. They rummaged around and found me a set of spikes they used to put in the T2 stacks.

No way these will tip over and there so easy to move now. Just walk them where you need to go. They look dang cool.

Name:  1EB48A9F-3972-4CEE-91B7-9D604E5BFF36.jpg
Views: 1160
Size:  101.3 KB

nice job on the L7. The original base is atrocious, as it is on the L5, but the weight of the L7 makes it unmanageable.
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

L1's on Craigslist in Tarpon Springs (Tampa Bay Craigs)

Listed 12 hrs ago. Usual disclaimers. No affiliation, etc.

Wish was closer. Looks legit and a good deal. If anyone picks them up and wants aggravation, reimbursement, bonus $ to ship to me I'm in.

Sorry. Was so excited did not figure out how to provide link. Been looking locally and no-go. Not on ebay either. My kinda luck... Going to TB area in a month or so and was just looking...

Here's the link I got from Craigs to put in my email. May help. Dunno... [email protected] rg
    Last edited by lodoc; 03-05-2021 at 08:01 PM. Reason: more info

Spitballing L7 mod

Not planning on it, but, what if everything was removed from the cabinet of an L7 (Drivers, crossovers, etc.) and the cabinet was cut where the slant face ends, then replicate the lost box volume and put the 120H on the front, join the boxes together, add port. Would this obviate all the placement challenges?

Quote Originally Posted by turnitdown View Post
    Not planning on it, but, what if everything was removed from the cabinet of an L7 (Drivers, crossovers, etc.) and the cabinet was cut where the slant face ends, then replicate the lost box volume and put the 120H on the front, join the boxes together, add port. Would this obviate all the placement challenges?
    somewhere on this site is someone (JohnW? ) who made a 2 box solution out of L7's.

square box w/front LF and the smaller top portion sitting atop it.

Really looked very good.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

L7 Break up by John W

I am posting this for posterity. (I found a pair where I am) Thanks Seawolf, my rooms are large enough, but too angled to make these work without doing a JOHN W to them - not that I will, if I get them.

Thanks all. Here is JOHN W's project. Previously, I had no idea these were so good.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...807-L7-Breakup

So what happens today?

Marketplace (FB) and CL (same seller) listing for L7. I had to go look, right? I brought a class D amp and connected my phone. Sounded great in open space (garage) so we settled then and there. $200 was the final agreement. Plastic bases and grills are fully intact. Honestly, it was hard to hear the 035TiA (even with a paper towel tube I brought), but I got them anyway. They're not in the house yet, but I pulled the tweeters, tested them on the Fluke and they were at DCR spec. While I had them out, I replaced the mush behind the diaphragm and cleaned the gap to be sure that, that maintenance item was all good. The only things missing are the terminal straps for one wire operation - no big deal. I look forward the the magic.

Quote Originally Posted by turnitdown View Post
    The only things missing are the terminal straps for one wire operation - no big deal. I look forward the the magic.
    You're probably better off making your own jumpers, anyway. Or actually bi-amping them. If you do it properly (electronic crossover, etc), read up on the blue wire in the crossover. I have two pair I paid $200 for, each. It is seriously hard to beat that value. Have fun.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Rolling my own now. I read from page one to here over the last couple of days. Good information in here, including the active approach.

Additional question, please

I have the L7s set up and would like to know the "normal" position of the jumper on the LF crossover...the left or the middle? TIA.

Well, this was my comment 8-years ago, which means the references are now 15-years old:
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Sure, and if you look back seven-years in this thread you'll find that reference:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post177549

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post178680
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thank you. I saw that in my reading of this thread. Still seems vague, but I got it, thanks.

Of the three Faston connectors, the middle is larger so only the outside ones are swappable. The position shown is—I think—the "standard" one.

All good so far, except

I was right, no sound from the 035TiAs. I tried them on the bench (w/ blocking cap) and they both work, but not in the intended circuit. I ordered new caps and resistors for the HF leg. It's (maybe) a little strange that the circuit died (HF) on both speakers and didn't take out the tweets? All wiring is solid and intact. Parts will be here Wednesday (7/28) so I'll trace it all out then.

Any thoughts? (As in, am I on the right track?)

What sound is there is great! Imaging is superb.

These are the real deal.

I now would like L5s for another room, really. (Hahaha)

Well, that escalated quickly. Test equipment and crossover components arrived yesterday (late) so, no chance to get into the L7s yet because...I was picking up a pair of L5s! Showed up on FB right after my last post, literally. They are well cared for with all components intact and working. Stands and grilles included. Hooked up, no chance to listen yet. The guy said he thinks he has a set of L3s that were taken out of service a year ago. (He has a child that just went to college and a son that just turned 16, so living arrangements, and furniture are being rearranged.) I'll be happy to have my Studio 530s stand in for L1s.

Thread Information