Page 69 of 76 FirstFirst ... 19596768697071 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,035 of 1133

Thread: JBL L Series (1990s)

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Welcome back. You have some nice choices of what to listen to.
    Yes... I am quite fortunate as a mix and mastering engineer I get to listen to all kinds of music and make a living at it. It's really not a job to me. It's a passion. I can't wait to listen and work on the next project. The L7 are very fun to listen to!
    I sold my original pair of L7's a few years ago thinking I found the holey grail in monitors (the 802's) however as my brother told me when he heard the L7's back in early 2011 "I always liked the way the JBL 4 ways sounded" I agree. He passed on 11/25/2011 from leukemia and I will always remember his comments on how good the L7 sounded to him. I'm so thankful I found another pair. Here's to you Bro!
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jkrichards View Post
    Well I'm back on the L7 Group as I just picked up another pair after I sold my last pair and missed the sound. I now have a pair of USA made, a Japan Made, and a UK made monitors. The JBL's just have that kickin' bass and drive that no other has.

From left to right:
    L7's, Yamaha NS-1000M, Bowers & Wilkins 802 Diamond.
    Pick your flavor! They all sound good.
    Cool Spread! Huge range in price and "market perception" spanning L7 to 802D. Some thoughts on sound comparison between this diverse group?
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

A New Recruit

I had never heard L7's before. Had a set of L5's about 6 or 8 years ago and really liked them - never should have sold them. When a local CL ad came for L7's appeared, I gave the guy a call, intending to just listen to them. After hearing them and picking up my jaw from the floor, I fell in love. Immediately put my L100t3's up for sale and bought the L7's. So smooth and detailed! My 225 watt NAD seems to make them pretty happy.

The L7 are very fun to listen to!
    one member here had (AFAICR) L7's with good drivers and bad cabs.

Used his woodworking skills to make a 2 box solution. square box with front firing
    12, and the rest in a box that sat on top (in original config) ... it looked outstanding

He also stripped a pair and stained..they looked great too
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ht=#post323609
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    one member here had (AFAICR) L7's with good drivers and bad cabs.

Used his woodworking skills to make a 2 box solution. square box with front firing
    12, and the rest in a box that sat on top (in original config) ... it looked outstanding

He also stripped a pair and stained..they looked great too
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ht=#post323609
    How to align tweeter and woofer when in two boxes? and phase?
    46 lover

Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    How to align tweeter and woofer when in two boxes? and phase?
    Since in the original design the woofer was side-mounted, how much difference do you suppose it would make???
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Since in the original design the woofer was side-mounted, how much difference do you suppose it would make???
    That will make big different bass
    46 lover

That will make big different bass
    The woofer is crossed at 180Hz. Were you asking how much difference turning it 90º would make in time-alignment? If it really made any difference, then just turn the base cabinet 90º to the inside! I don't think it will make any difference in the time-alignment, personally. Sure, at 180Hz some of the sound produced by the woofer would be somewhat directional but mostly it's not. Can you tell from the circuit diagram if any time-alignment consideration went into the design of the woofer section in the first place?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

The woofer is crossed at 180Hz. Were you asking how much difference turning it 90º would make in time-alignment? If it really made any difference, then just turn the base cabinet 90º to the inside! I don't think it will make any difference in the time-alignment, personally. Sure, at 180Hz some of the sound produced by the woofer would be somewhat directional but mostly it's not. Can you tell from the circuit diagram if any time-alignment consideration went into the design of the woofer section in the first place?
    You mean the frequency below 180Hz has no direction?
    46 lover

You mean the frequency below 180Hz has no direction?
    No, but pretty much non-directional around 120Hz and under.

Quote Originally Posted by JBLAddict View Post
    Cool Spread! Huge range in price and "market perception" spanning L7 to 802D. Some thoughts on sound comparison between this diverse group?
    The L7's are the most dynamic of them all. They have more bass. The L7's are a little more colored then both the Yamaha's and the B&W's. If I want to hear concert level music with tons of dynamics Ill always go the L7's. I'm using an Audio Research tube pre-amp and an Audio Research D-400 SS amp. Also on Wednesday I built and installed a Spike system on them and WOW... what a difference it makes on these L7. Best upgrade for the L7's.

Name:  L7 spikes.jpg
Views: 997
Size:  135.0 KB

The B&W is the most accurate of the lot. They are very picky on source material. If it's good it will sound good however if it's not so good it sounds awful. The Diamond Tweeter is what makes the 802's shine. The best treble I have ever heard as the diamond dome does not breakup until it hits 70Khz. The Yamaha's sound very similar to the 802's with its Beryllium dome tweeter and midrange drivers. The Yamaha is the best bang for the buck. If I were on a tight budget I would purchase the L7's and the Yamaha NS-1000M's.
    Jeff

Also on Wednesday I built and installed a Spike system on them and WOW... what a difference it makes on these L7. Best upgrade for the L7's.
    You do know that the original plastic bases that came with the L7 were configured to accept spikes, right?

You do know that the original plastic bases that came with the L7 were configured to accept spikes, right?
    Yes however the plastic is not a good support for these speakers. It's to flexible. That's why I used steel angle and large spikes. These baby's are sturdy and the bass driver no longer vibrates the cabinets. These spikes go through my carpet and into the concrete. I originally tried the plastic bases with spikes (The spikes came with inserts that fit into the plastic base) and it made little difference. The bass is now very tight and fast. The top end opened up more. The dynamics even increased. If I would have done this on my old pair of L7's I would have never sold them. This simple mod made these good speakers great.

The bass is now very tight and fast. The top end opened up more. The dynamics even increased. If I would have done this on my old pair of L7's I would have never sold them. This simple mod made these good speakers great.
    Thanks. I should give it a try, after I get everything organized and move into my new home. What spike setup did you use? A bit hard to see from the photo. I have two pairs of L7s so I can make direct comparisons.

Quote Originally Posted by mortron View Post
    I am so very torn between which L series speakers to look for... My heart says L7 or bust, a rational part says L5 or even L3... anyone faced a similar conundrum?
    I have owned both the L5 and L7. The L5 has weak bass and is easy to overdrive the 8" woofer to failure. If you listen to Vinyl get the L7.

Thread Information